Need Some Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Westward Lord

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I created this new thread because I believe I have a unique situation.

By the end of this Fall semester, I will have a 3.2 GPA (which although is above the requirement for most AuD programs, it's still low) and I made a 960 on the old GRE but I am taking it again in hopes of making at least 1100. I will have relatively good recommendation letters, two from professors and one from a practicing audiologist. I worked and observed with this audiologist at his clinic last summer (2010) and the summer before (2009), where I learned how to clean hearing aids, use an audiometer, etc. I know I will have a good personal statement because I am a good writer. I guess it's safe to say that I'm a bit below the average AuD applicant.

Unfortunately, because of the competitiveness of the field, I know I can't exactly get into top level schools like Iowa, Washington, or Purdue, etc. I am interested in clinical work versus research. My dream is to one day have my own clinic. I am looking for kind of lower level clinical programs that will give me a better chance of getting admission.

Schools I'm considering include:

U of North Texas
U of Maryland
Towson
U of Arkansas
Bloomsburg
Texas Tech
Oklahoma U
and possibly more

Realistically, I just wanna get into any school. Initially I had aimed for higher level (I think) programs like UT Dallas, U of Pittsburgh, Gallaudet. I realized that it doesn't matter what school I get an AuD from, as long as I get it. I have been doing my homework, considering the list of accredited programs on ASHA's site and talking to my professors. I am a serious student and I know for a fact audiology is what I want to do. Any help would be appreciated.

I just really need some advice or encouragement, it just feels like I won't get into any school I apply to. However, people keep telling me "everything happens for a reason" and though I understand that, I still need that level of confirmation that I have some chance of admission somewhere.

On a side note, how hard is it to juggle a job and going through the AuD program? Thought my parents aided me for undergrad, I will have to pay for grad school once I get a job some time next year.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I had a better GRE score than you did, but my GPA was comparable (I think 3.3). I, too, had good letters of recommendation and clinical experience, and my statement of purpose was killer. I got into UIowa.

However, if you're concerned about rejection and just want to get into a program that will prepare you clinically, I'd suggest my Alma Mater: Idaho State University. The location isn't that great (Pocatello), but you won't see much outside your building anyway. And despite being a small town, there are a lot of options for rotation placements. There's an in-house clinic which sees a lot of VA patients, as well as a few private clinics elsewhere. I think (but don't quote me) there's actually a VA hospital nearby, too. Then, 3rd-year students go to Boise for full placements.

ISU puts you in the clinic from day one, and I know the faculty are very helpful and knowledgeable. ISU is very clinic-oriented, and yields very skilled and confident clinicians (they have no other option, since there isn't a PhD track there... that's why I didn't consider going there; my primary interest is research).

ISU accepts 12 people per year, but they don't get very many qualified applicants. It's not exactly a happening place, so many people count it out based on that. Also, because it's not a large school, funding is limited (assistantship-wise). Overall, I'd definitely recommend applying there, especially if you're interested in clinical work.

Oh, and as for a job? You won't have time. I've already had two 15-hour days, and it's only the first week. When they say you're in 11 semester hours, don't take it lightly. They really follow that rule of 1 in-class hour to 2 out-of-class hours. Unless you work weekends doing something incredibly lucrative, you'll just have to take out loans.

I created this new thread because I believe I have a unique situation.

By the end of this Fall semester, I will have a 3.2 GPA (which although is above the requirement for most AuD programs, it's still low) and I made a 960 on the old GRE but I am taking it again in hopes of making at least 1100. I will have relatively good recommendation letters, two from professors and one from a practicing audiologist. I worked and observed with this audiologist at his clinic last summer (2010) and the summer before (2009), where I learned how to clean hearing aids, use an audiometer, etc. I know I will have a good personal statement because I am a good writer. I guess it's safe to say that I'm a bit below the average AuD applicant.

Unfortunately, because of the competitiveness of the field, I know I can't exactly get into top level schools like Iowa, Washington, or Purdue, etc. I am interested in clinical work versus research. My dream is to one day have my own clinic. I am looking for kind of lower level clinical programs that will give me a better chance of getting admission.

Schools I'm considering include:

U of North Texas
U of Maryland
Towson
U of Arkansas
Bloomsburg
Texas Tech
Oklahoma U
and possibly more

Realistically, I just wanna get into any school. Initially I had aimed for higher level (I think) programs like UT Dallas, U of Pittsburgh, Gallaudet. I realized that it doesn't matter what school I get an AuD from, as long as I get it. I have been doing my homework, considering the list of accredited programs on ASHA's site and talking to my professors. I am a serious student and I know for a fact audiology is what I want to do. Any help would be appreciated.

I just really need some advice or encouragement, it just feels like I won't get into any school I apply to. However, people keep telling me "everything happens for a reason" and though I understand that, I still need that level of confirmation that I have some chance of admission somewhere.

On a side note, how hard is it to juggle a job and going through the AuD program? Thought my parents aided me for undergrad, I will have to pay for grad school once I get a job some time next year.

I remember being in your situation this time last year. I wouldn't be so hard on yourself. I do think it is a good idea to take the GRE again, however, just to see if you can improve on that score. Obviously, the higher the better.

I can't speak for any of the programs you listed above, but I do think you have a great chance of getting into some of them. Heck, maybe all of them. You'll never know until you apply. I noticed that a lot of the schools look at the overall individual applying and not just GPA and GRE scores. If you can demonstrate that you are indeed serious about studying audiology, you know what you're getting yourself into, and that you have the patience and perseverance to make it through a 4 year program, your chances are that much better. I would spend a considerable amount of time on the personal statement just to make sure it encompasses everything you intend it to. It's really important to get that right.

There are a lot of great people on here that'll be able to help out as well.

I wish you the best of luck! Let me know if I can be of any assistance :)

Members don't see this ad :)
i second everything that Elise said. definitely apply to some places that you think you have a good shot at, but don't limit yourself. i would encourage you to apply to your top choices as well. your chances aren't as bad as you think.

I think you are being a bit hard on yourself Westward Lord.

I would probably try taking the GRE one more time, but if your scores do not go up that is ok. You will still get into some of these schools.

Keep your head up, Westward Lord. Being ambiguous and negative about your chances of getting in to grad school will not help you. Be optimistic and do your best. :) Definitely apply to some of your top choices or dream schools. You'll never know unless you apply.

The more places you apply the better chance you've got to get in somewhere. Just retake the GRE and you'll be pretty ok would be my guess.

As to the job thing - that depends on how hard you want to bust your bottom. In my 2nd and 3rd year I was in clinic 4 full days a week, plus full time classes and still managed a 25-30 hr a week job. Of course I was doing everything I could to avoid being at my apartment due to a failing engagement. Avoidance is often easier than dealing with a problem :lol:

Those taking lots of loans - be carefull. This isn't a hugely lucrative field so keep in mind how hard it's going to be to pay back that loan.....

Best of luck!
-D

You're nuts! I'm only in my first week of my first year and I don't have time to think (or do any stress-relief), much less hold down a job.

The more places you apply the better chance you've got to get in somewhere. Just retake the GRE and you'll be pretty ok would be my guess.

As to the job thing - that depends on how hard you want to bust your bottom. In my 2nd and 3rd year I was in clinic 4 full days a week, plus full time classes and still managed a 25-30 hr a week job. Of course I was doing everything I could to avoid being at my apartment due to a failing engagement. Avoidance is often easier than dealing with a problem :lol:

Those taking lots of loans - be carefull. This isn't a hugely lucrative field so keep in mind how hard it's going to be to pay back that loan.....

Best of luck!
-D

The more places you apply the better chance you've got to get in somewhere.

I have to disagree with you on this one. My former classmate originally planned to apply to 6 schools, but freaked out at the last minute and applied to 11 schools. She didn't get into a single program. I personally think you need to do your homework before selecting a school. Don't base it on certain cons such as so and so receives a large number of applicants or because they only accept high GPAs. I highly encourage people to pick a program that meets your needs, not just because you want to get into any program and get a job right away.

^^^

Doing homework and picking a program based on programs is fine if that's what you want to do although I don't necessarily agree. Sometimes people are very well qualified and WOULD be accepted but for whatever reason a school has too many of that ethnicity or whatever. I've said before I think the student is going to make the best of any program if they want to do so. Besides, it's relatively easy to transfer between school once you've been accepted somewhere.

That said, if the OP doesn't get in to wherever their homework tells them to apply, is it worth it to sit around for a year waiting til the next application process? To me the answer is "no, I'd rather get crackin and get it over with" - someone else may feel otherwise if they're willing to do something different for awhile. I applied 6 places and got accepted where I wanted so it worked out. That said, my GPA was ok but my GRE wasn't amazing by any stretch.

Most everything I've encountered in my life always boils down to numbers.... Want to meet someone you're compatible with you need to talk to a lot of people; You want to become a better (or in my case at least not-incompetant) cook you need to cook a lot; Better track times = increased seat time .... Get into graduate school ... apply a lot of places. Doesn't mean I'm right but that's just a trend I've noticed.

-D

You're nuts! I'm only in my first week of my first year and I don't have time to think (or do any stress-relief), much less hold down a job.

:lol:

Ya do you what ya gotta do. Don't forget - things in the first few months are generally harder than somewhat later on. You may be in a completely new environment, meeting new people, worrying about finances, stressing over what professors expect, how exams are graded, maintaining current relationships, etc.... Lots on your plate to balance but you'll figure it all out with time.

-D

Besides, it's relatively easy to transfer between school once you've been accepted somewhere. That said, if the OP doesn't get in to wherever their homework tells them to apply, is it worth it to sit around for a year waiting til the next application process? To me the answer is "no, I'd rather get crackin and get it over with"

Why waste your time and money toward schools you're not even interested in or spent time looking at them? Applicants should feel confident about where their applying to and do the best that they can to get in. If I don't get into any of my 5 schools, I'll apply again and regards if I'm in my 20s or 40s. My education is important, not the timing and not the money. No one should feel "eh, I'll go here even if it wasn't one of my top choices. eh. deal with it". Don't you want to spend your money wisely and don't you want to be happy where you're at?

Why waste your time and money toward schools you're not even interested in or spent time looking at them? Applicants should feel confident about where their applying to and do the best that they can to get in. If I don't get into any of my 5 schools, I'll apply again and regards if I'm in my 20s or 40s. My education is important, not the timing and not the money. No one should feel "eh, I'll go here even if it wasn't one of my top choices. eh. deal with it". Don't you want to spend your money wisely and don't you want to be happy where you're at?

You obviously spend a lot more time thinking about your feelings than I do. Never thought of it from your perspective but definately see your point :laugh:

-D

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay..it's time for me to put in my two cents worth. I was in your shoes, I had a 3.2 gpa and a 950ish GRE score at one point (raised it to about 1250). I was extremely discouraged. Today, I'm someone who got into every program (without being wait-listed) I applied to and will be attending a top ranked program this fall.

Even then, I know people at my program and at other highly regarded programs who had a similar GRE and GPA. They are flourishing. GPA/GRE isn't everything. Enthusiasm and motivation towards the field in addition to being a hard worker will carry you far. I attended undergrad at one of the AuD programs I applied to and faculty saw first hand how hard I was working, I think that mattered a lot to them.

Don't limit yourself. Aim high because you will work harder to get there. Look at what you CAN improve rather than being stuck on what you don't have.

Last edited:
Good point. I don't have to maintain any romantic relationships, but making new friends is very hard (and very taxing) for me. Still, I don't anticipate having any time for a job!

[/B]arder than somewhat later on. You may be in a completely new environment, meeting new people, worrying about finances, stressing over what professors expect, how exams are graded, maintaining current relationships, etc.... Lots on your plate to balance but you'll figure it all out with time.

-D

i worked 5 hours a week 2nd through 4th semester. it was all i could handle. some weeks it was more and some weeks it was less but that was the average. weekdays it's hard to find free time and i'm one of the unfortunate people who works best on the weekends cause weekdays i just get too tired.

it really depends on the demands of your program, how efficient you can be with your time, and how much (if any) down time you need to combat all the stress. I wouldn't budget a job in just yet cause you don't know.

I had similar marks, though I scored a bit higher on the GRE. Stay positive and do not accept no for an answer. I know that's easier said than done. Admittance committees do pay attention to your letter of intent. Use your writing skills well! Audiology has a ton of students who decided that they did not want to pursue a career in speech (unfortunately, myself included). Set yourself apart from these students in your letter. Schedule 1 on 1 appointments with faculty members at your prospective programs, or at least a lengthy phone call assuming travel is an issue and let your passion be seen.. Your grades matter, but faculty want students who are gung-ho and passionate about the field more so than students who can crank out A's.

Best of luck!
-D
Out of curiosity, what color was your hair at the end of grad school? Lord have mercy that's a workload. You are a tank.

I'm planning to work about twelve to fifteen hours a week. I'm not having to relocate for school and I'm able to work some flexible hours at my current barista job ($14 an hour after tips). This would entail working Friday afternoons (go to work straight after class labs) and Sunday mornings. I currently have two days off during the week (though one day each will probably be spent in the research lab and the other in clinic). I should either have the morning or afternoon every day to focus on schoolwork. Many other current AuD students do this as well or will. I plan to cut down on my hours on a as needed basis.

Being on the quarter system vs. semester makes a big difference with how we can manage our time here. We come out to having the same amount of classes if not more per year as programs we are generally compared with.

It's really just about gauging how much you can take on and being able to keep up on your grad school studies at the same time. Also, if you do work, you have the schedule EVERYTHING, including your own free time.

I had similar marks, though I scored a bit higher on the GRE. Stay positive and do not accept no for an answer. I know that's easier said than done. Admittance committees do pay attention to your letter of intent. Use your writing skills well! Audiology has a ton of students who decided that they did not want to pursue a career in speech (unfortunately, myself included). Set yourself apart from these students in your letter. Schedule 1 on 1 appointments with faculty members at your prospective programs, or at least a lengthy phone call assuming travel is an issue and let your passion be seen.. Your grades matter, but faculty want students who are gung-ho and passionate about the field more so than students who can crank out A's.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

WELL SAID :)

Damn :eek: 20 replies already?

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the advice, I find it all very helpful.

Just to be more specific, I am currently a student at UNT and the AuD program here is my top choice. This is mostly because I know the faculty, I know the clinic, I'm familiar with this area, and the staff seems to know how I work.

I really don't wanna have to move out to California or Florida and such, so I'm trying to limit my choices to in and around Texas as well as the Northeast. I know that's not realistic, but my I just cannot live on the west coast or deep south.

What you guys say about the letter of intent is very encouraging. I'm really not bragging here, but I do believe I am a great writer. I never got anything lower than a B on any writing assignment in school. I think I have a massive drive to do audiology, mostly because I love working with patients, and I love helping people. Do you think it will be wise to stress the doctor-patient relationship in my paper?

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, what color was your hair at the end of grad school? Lord have mercy that's a workload. You are a tank.

About a 1/4 gray now and I'm only 31 :lol:

Damn :eek: 20 replies already?

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the advice, I find it all very helpful.

Just to be more specific, I am currently a student at UNT and the AuD program here is my top choice. This is mostly because I know the faculty, I know the clinic, I'm familiar with this area, and the staff seems to know how I work.

I really don't wanna have to move out to California or Florida and such, so I'm trying to limit my choices to in and around Texas as well as the Northeast. I know that's not realistic, but my I just cannot live on the west coast or deep south.

What you guys say about the letter of intent is very encouraging. I'm really not bragging here, but I do believe I am a great writer. I never got anything lower than a B on any writing assignment in school. I think I have a massive drive to do audiology, mostly because I love working with patients, and I love helping people. Do you think it will be wise to stress the doctor-patient relationship in my paper?

Post up portions or all of your paper as you get it done and some of us will happily help you edit and/or give you feedback. :thumbup:

Also in regards to the work gig.... Some of you might consider working in your schools library. I worked in the electronic library. It gave plenty of time to study, talk to other students (for me it was primarily MD, nursing, and assorted Therapies), and most importantly, help out the professors. The last came in handy when I'd screw something up....

-D

Post up portions or all of your paper as you get it done and some of us will happily help you edit and/or give you feedback. :thumbup:

Don't forget to mention the prompt or specific guidelines for the paper... every university requires something different! That way, we'll be able to tailor advice for the specific purpose.

Don't forget to mention the prompt or specific guidelines for the paper... every university requires something different! That way, we'll be able to tailor advice for the specific purpose.

She's 110% right! Start now if you're planning on applying to a lot of schools.

Got grey hair !?! PFFFFF!!!!!!

Last edited:
Again, thanks to everyone for helping, I really appreciate it.

What sucks about UNT is that they do not look at clinical experience, or for that matter, any work experience in the field. Is this true of most other programs?

I know there are some differing prompts. I know Towson, for example, asks "is there a place for clinically based research in an Au.D. program?" Damn ... how am I gonna do that? I learned a bit about evidence based practice last semester, is it basically the same thing?

Writing comes extremely easy to me, like suspiciously easy, as if maybe I should become a writer if I don't get admission next year. So if committees put a considerable amount of weight on the personal statement then this will really help.

However, there is one more thing. I'm ashamed to say that I don't know the schools I'm applying to that well (or at least not as well as UNT). What would you guys suggest doing when a school asks why I chose to apply to their program?

Last edited:
What sucks about UNT is that they do not look at clinical experience, or for that matter, any work experience in the field. Is this true of most other programs?
No, but they probably do it because so few undergraduate programs include clinical experience and to make an admissions decision based on an opportunity like that would be unfair.

I know there are some differing prompts. I know Towson, for example, asks "is there a place for clinically based research in an Au.D. program?" Damn ... how am I gonna do that? I learned a bit about evidence based practice last semester, is it basically the same thing?
No. EBP is about using published research to back up the methods you use in the clinic.

Writing comes extremely easy to me, like suspiciously easy, as if maybe I should become a writer if I don't get admission next year. So if committees put a considerable amount of weight on the personal statement then this will really help.
It sounds like you're confident in your skills as a writer. That's good, but try not to lose sight of the big picture. Your personal statement/statement of purpose is as much (or more) about thinking as it is style. Good writing is important because it helps the committee to clearly understand your points, but your points must have real thought behind them in order to make an impact.

However, there is one more thing. I'm ashamed to say that I don't know the schools I'm applying to that well (or at least not as well as UNT). What would you guys suggest doing when a school asks why I chose to apply to their program?
I would suggest you research the schools now so that you don't look like an idiot when they ask you that question. I'm kind of confused as to why you haven't done this already, especially considering how you're worried about snagging a spot. You should be doing everything you can to assure the admissions committee that they won't actually be risking anything by admitting you, by making your GPA/GRE the only weak spot... like a blip on the radar.

i think the towson question is related to EBP. if you do research it will make you a better consumer of research, which in tun will allow you to better practice EBP.

also 3 years ago the Towson essay question was specifically about EBP so that's another reason i think that may be what they're getting after.

Westward Lord, you should be more careful in your classification of schools. I don't know how you got the idea that it is so easy to breakdown schools into top tier(Iowa, Purdue, etc..., as you put it) and the rest of the pack. In reality the difference between schools is very gray. If you are just looking from US News (which it appears you did) then you are not really getting much of a picture of the differences between programs and the pros and cons of each. The reality is that different programs have different strengths and how you weigh those strengths will change your opinion of a given program. For example if you are not interested in a school that is heavy on research than some of the so called top tier programs may not be as attractive because they are usually heavy research universities. Also if you are going to a school in a small town with less population in and around the school your placements may not be as good as somewhere populated because there are simply less opportunities in cornfields than there are in metropolitan areas. So don't put stock into rankings just because US News says they are 20th or 40th judge each school by it's own merits. For some the so called "# 1" will be less then ideal while "# 40" may be a perfect fit. Just something to keep in mind as you go into the application process.

It sounds like you're confident in your skills as a writer. That's good, but try not to lose sight of the big picture. Your personal statement/statement of purpose is as much (or more) about thinking as it is style. Good writing is important because it helps the committee to clearly understand your points, but your points must have real thought behind them in order to make an impact.
I agree because I think I'm wanting to do audiology for the right reasons. This is why I think I'm a good writer, because I don't like to lie. Writing is very much an emotional thing, as so is audiology. The big pull for me is the fact that I get to help people, which is something I love doing. I figured if I can reiterate that in writing then it will have a better influence

I would suggest you research the schools now so that you don't look like an idiot when they ask you that question. I'm kind of confused as to why you haven't done this already, especially considering how you're worried about snagging a spot. You should be doing everything you can to assure the admissions committee that they won't actually be risking anything by admitting you, by making your GPA/GRE the only weak spot... like a blip on the radar.
I figured I would contact some people in the department to get a feel for each program and then explain what I like about what's in the program. I would think stressing these things would help me in my statement as well as in any possible interviews.

Westward Lord, you should be more careful in your classification of schools. I don't know how you got the idea that it is so easy to breakdown schools into top tier(Iowa, Purdue, etc..., as you put it) and the rest of the pack. In reality the difference between schools is very gray. If you are just looking from US News (which it appears you did) then you are not really getting much of a picture of the differences between programs and the pros and cons of each. The reality is that different programs have different strengths and how you weigh those strengths will change your opinion of a given program.
I'm actually going by what one of my professors is saying. He is very much involved in the audiology community and he has a good eye for what schools are considered the best and worst in the country. However, I believe I am picking schools that seem like good fits for me.

For example if you are not interested in a school that is heavy on research than some of the so called top tier programs may not be as attractive because they are usually heavy research universities. Also if you are going to a school in a small town with less population in and around the school your placements may not be as good as somewhere populated because there are simply less opportunities in cornfields than there are in metropolitan areas. So don't put stock into rankings just because US News says they are 20th or 40th judge each school by it's own merits. For some the so called "# 1" will be less then ideal while "# 40" may be a perfect fit. Just something to keep in mind as you go into the application process.
I know, I'm really not even aiming for these so called "top schools," partly because the requirements are high and also because, like you said, some are more research inclined programs. For example, UNT is my top choice, and it is not considered a "top program" by most people in the field.

Westward Lord, you should be more careful in your classification of schools. I don't know how you got the idea that it is so easy to breakdown schools into top tier(Iowa, Purdue, etc..., as you put it) and the rest of the pack. In reality the difference between schools is very gray. If you are just looking from US News (which it appears you did) then you are not really getting much of a picture of the differences between programs and the pros and cons of each. The reality is that different programs have different strengths and how you weigh those strengths will change your opinion of a given program. For example if you are not interested in a school that is heavy on research than some of the so called top tier programs may not be as attractive because they are usually heavy research universities. Also if you are going to a school in a small town with less population in and around the school your placements may not be as good as somewhere populated because there are simply less opportunities in cornfields than there are in metropolitan areas. So don't put stock into rankings just because US News says they are 20th or 40th judge each school by it's own merits. For some the so called "# 1" will be less then ideal while "# 40" may be a perfect fit. Just something to keep in mind as you go into the application process.

Exactly!

I would consider adding a couple more safety schools, if you can. Yes, everything happens for a reason, but not in the way people mean when they say it. Everything happens due to something in the past that caused that thing; things do not happen because of something that will happen in the future. Anyway, I recommend the Princeton Review book for the GRE. My best advice is to drill vocab as if your life depended on it! Make flash cards. Memorize literally every vocab word. You will greatly increase your score. Not all Au.D. programs are created equal and you really should try to get into a good one. It's in your patients' best interest.

Anyway, I recommend the Princeton Review book for the GRE. My best advice is to drill vocab as if your life depended on it! Make flash cards. Memorize literally every vocab word. You will greatly increase your score..

I loved Princeton's! I found their strategies for the verbal section to be very helpful. Also, when I studied both Princeton's and Kaplan's vocabs, I found 10-15 of the words on the GRE. It may not sound a lot, but holy stars in the sky you will be very happy to spot these words on the exam.

Use the PowerPrep II because it looks exactly like the test. Not the exact questions, but the format.

Anyway, I recommend the Princeton Review book for the GRE. My best advice is to drill vocab as if your life depended on it! Make flash cards. Memorize literally every vocab word. You will greatly increase your score. Not all Au.D. programs are created equal and you really should try to get into a good one. It's in your patients' best interest.

I LOVED Princeton's strategies for the GRE-especially for the antonyms and the reading comprehension. Kaplan's Advanced vocab workbook is also good. The strategies from the books will teach you how to get a question correct, even if you don't know what the word means.

I second what quiteaud says here, I did the above and ended up scoring in the high 600s. Memorizing vocab helps with the analogies,antonyms and sentence completion-a huge portion of the test. Also, reading comprehension is also very difficult, finding a strategy that leads to correct answers on your part, is key. Kaplan and Princeton have very different strategies for reading comprehension, I'm sure one could work for you :). It takes A LOT of practice to get these strategies nailed down.

Also, there are a lot of "games" you can play with vocab. Here is one that I used: http://www.manythings.org/fq/m/2991.html .

Treat the GRE, especially the verbal portion, as a game. If you can make studying fun, rather than a chore, you will be on the right track towards getting a higher score.

I agree because I think I'm wanting to do audiology for the right reasons. This is why I think I'm a good writer, because I don't like to lie. Writing is very much an emotional thing, as so is audiology. The big pull for me is the fact that I get to help people, which is something I love doing. I figured if I can reiterate that in writing then it will have a better influence
Huh? Not all of that made sense. I think I get your main idea, though, which is that you equate connecting emotionally with 'good' writing. Yes, that will help, but you also need to share ideas, too.

I figured I would contact some people in the department to get a feel for each program and then explain what I like about what's in the program. I would think stressing these things would help me in my statement as well as in any possible interviews.
Would? Why not do it now?
You can also browse websites and faculty CVs to get a feel for a program. Taking an assertive approach to the application process is important.

Huh? Not all of that made sense. I think I get your main idea, though, which is that you equate connecting emotionally with 'good' writing. Yes, that will help, but you also need to share ideas, too.
I'm not equating those things, I'm just saying it helps. When I say I want to do audiology for the right reasons, I mean that I'm not doing it for money or because it's the last resort. What I'm saying is that if I can show that I am enthusiastic about the field and that I can actually bring something to field in my personal statment, then that will help. Am I right or am I right?

Would? Why not do it now?
You can also browse websites and faculty CVs to get a feel for a program. Taking an assertive approach to the application process is important.
No I think I will wait to apply until next April, I'll be on a beach in Hawaii for the next few months, no rush.

As far as the GRE, I have used Princeton Review's book when I took it the first time. I know my weaknesses now, especially in verbal, so I think my score will improve greatly this time. I got a new book and I'm finding that studying is really not as big a deal as I used to think it was.

I'm not equating those things, I'm just saying it helps. When I say I want to do audiology for the right reasons, I mean that I'm not doing it for money or because it's the last resort. What I'm saying is that if I can show that I am enthusiastic about the field and that I can actually bring something to field in my personal statment, then that will help. Am I right or am I right?
That's not at all what you said before. But yes, that will help.

No I think I will wait to apply until next April, I'll be on a beach in Hawaii for the next few months, no rush.
What if what you find out by researching the programs is that none of them have what you want, and your whole game-plan changes?

Last edited:
Here are some reasons that narrowed down my list of schools:

-research opportunities, i.e. faculty members I'd like to work with, strength of AuD research component, program was suited to my research interests (which are VERY specific).
- clinical opportunities- i.e. a pediatric track within the AuD program that was unique to the program, if it had an AR emphasis, good clinical rotation opportunities, if they had community outreach opportunities etc.

Those are just a few examples. I started with eight programs, I wrote out a list of reasons for WHY I wanted to apply to each of those programs and I spoke to my undergrad research mentor who was familiar with many of these programs. I threw out Vandy, Northwestern, Rush, Minnesota etc-great schools but not for me, based on my research and clinical interests. After I did this, I ended up with four schools and threw one more out later in the process.

When I did apply, I had a huge laundry list of reasons as to "why" I wanted to apply to those schools. I was able to write about those reasons in the statements and I was able to email/visit programs to ask questions and learn more about those reasons that originally piqued my interest.

By doing this, I showed that I was well informed, enthusiastic and highly motivated. By doing this, I demonstrated to the programs that I knew what I was getting into by applying to their respective AuD program. Graduate programs in ANY field want to see this in an applicant. At the same time, doing all of the above, in my opinion, helps an applicant find a program that is the right fit for them as well.

Maybe I've given the wrong impression to you folks. It's not like I have no idea what I'm doing, it's not like I just started looking at grad schools yesterday. Does it seem like that? There has been a lot of prep that has already gone into my research. All I was asking for was some advice, not necessarily someone to hold my hand.

Here are some reasons that narrowed down my list of schools:

-research opportunities, i.e. faculty members I'd like to work with, strength of AuD research component, program was suited to my research interests (which are VERY specific).
- clinical opportunities- i.e. a pediatric track within the AuD program that was unique to the program, if it had an AR emphasis, good clinical rotation opportunities, if they had community outreach opportunities etc.

Those are just a few examples. I started with eight programs, I wrote out a list of reasons for WHY I wanted to apply to each of those programs and I spoke to my undergrad research mentor who was familiar with many of these programs. I threw out Vandy, Northwestern, Rush, Minnesota etc-great schools but not for me, based on my research and clinical interests. After I did this, I ended up with four schools and threw one more out later in the process.

When I did apply, I had a huge laundry list of reasons as to "why" I wanted to apply to those schools. I was able to write about those reasons in the statements and I was able to email/visit programs to ask questions and learn more about those reasons that originally piqued my interest.

By doing this, I showed that I was well informed, enthusiastic and highly motivated. By doing this, I demonstrated to the programs that I knew what I was getting into by applying to their respective AuD program. Graduate programs in ANY field want to see this in an applicant. At the same time, doing all of the above, in my opinion, helps an applicant find a program that is the right fit for them as well.

Thank you, this is exactly what I have been looking for. I will do exactly that, this will really help me in the app process as well as determining what I know about each program.

Right now, I'm considering applying to a total of 8 schools (might narrow it down). Top three are:

1. UNT
2. Towson
3. U of Arkansas

Of course, I don't know as much about Towson and Arkansas as I will in the next few weeks. However, it sounds like the method that spring88 used will help a lot.

while i think everything that everyone is saying is great, it is NOT the end of the world where you end up going to school. you will probably get a variety of experiences through your internships or your 4th year. you could become a great audiologist going to a "top-ranked" school or somewhere "off the charts."

i informed myself about all the schools i applied to, but i'm just gonna put it out there - i applied to 6 schools that were the closest geographically to my boyfriend and my family. i don't want to get a PhD so research interests of faculty did not really concern me. i wrote a letter saying i was really interested in whatever specialty that department had though, because that's what they want to hear, and i got accepted to all 6 programs. let's face it - academics love to hear how valuable and special their research is. in the end i would have gotten a well-rounded education at any of the schools.

my point is that applying to grad school doesn't have to be rocket science. you just have to play the game.

Last edited:
Westward Lord,

If you've found this forum at this point in time, you are doing your research and after this overkill of advice, will be in good shape for the application process :) Several of us are writing for the whole group of applicants (not just yourself) because there are many lurkers on this thread who are trying to figure out how to do this whole application process. I personally apologize if you think I'm coming down too hard but I'm writing for everyone who might come across this thread!

Last edited:
Maybe I've given the wrong impression to you folks. It's not like I have no idea what I'm doing, it's not like I just started looking at grad schools yesterday. Does it seem like that? There has been a lot of prep that has already gone into my research. All I was asking for was some advice, not necessarily someone to hold my hand.

Thank you, this is exactly what I have been looking for. I will do exactly that, this will really help me in the app process as well as determining what I know about each program.

Right now, I'm considering applying to a total of 8 schools (might narrow it down). Top three are:

1. UNT
2. Towson
3. U of Arkansas

You should PM Dustbug about U of Arkansas. If I remember correctly, he attends his AuD program there and can help answer your questions :).

Hi Westward Lord,

Good luck with your application process! I applied to Towson last year and got in - my decision came down to there and my current school (U of Tenn). To be perfectly honest, I kind of BSed my way through that clinical research prompt, but it seemed to work out for me. Towson is very well organized and all of the faculty were welcoming and made it clear that they wanted to have me there (a vibe I did not get from all schools I visited). There are several GA positions available and they are in the process of moving to a new facility. I went into my experience with Towson with zero expectations and I was very pleasantly surprised, so I think it's definitely one of those "lower-rated" schools that is more than meets the eye.

At the end of the day, it came down to geography, and I wanted to go further south. Tennessee has been a great experience so far - wonderful professors, great location, and most important to me - I was in the clinic working on Day 2. You also have the option to focus on aural habilitation here. Check it out - go Vols! :)

You should PM Dustbug about U of Arkansas. If I remember correctly, he attends his AuD program there and can help answer your questions :).
Actually I have been speaking to him about it and his words are helping me a lot.

I applied to Towson last year and got in - my decision came down to there and my current school (U of Tenn). To be perfectly honest, I kind of BSed my way through that clinical research prompt, but it seemed to work out for me. Towson is very well organized and all of the faculty were welcoming and made it clear that they wanted to have me there (a vibe I did not get from all schools I visited). There are several GA positions available and they are in the process of moving to a new facility. I went into my experience with Towson with zero expectations and I was very pleasantly surprised, so I think it's definitely one of those "lower-rated" schools that is more than meets the eye.
Could you maybe tell me a bit more of what you know about Towson? I'm doing research too, but I would appreciate anything really. PM me if it's too much.

This clinical research prompt is kind of scary

you could become a great audiologist going to a "top-ranked" school or somewhere "off the charts."

my point is that applying to grad school doesn't have to be rocket science. you just have to play the game.
I agree, I didn't realize this a month ago. I was stressing out a lot because I thought applying for grad school was a bigger deal than it actually. I mean, it is a big deal, but I made into this life-and-death/everything-or-nothing scenario. Reading what all you guys have to say is clearing the air and helping me focus more on what needs to be done in this application process.

Hey everyone, I came back to get some input on this very rough personal statement. I spent the past month or so getting recommendation letters and applications out, so all that's left is this statement and the GRE. I know it's not refined yet, but I just wanted some thoughts on whether this is the direction I should be going in. I have yet to customize it for each university, so that will be added later on. This is the first step, so obviously I will lengthen it, make it more formal, and revise this several times. I have redacted the personal or confidential items:

I chose to pursue a degree in clinical audiology because of my passion for the field of hearing science and my genuine desire to help those with hearing disabilities and hearing loss. [I will add more to this intro paragraph]

As an undergraduate student at The University of North Texas, I was involved in some research work with Dr. ________[a professor] over this past summer. This included a project concerning how earplugs with differing degrees of attenuation affect perception of music. From my work with Dr. ________[same professor] I was able to experience the research side of audiology, particularly hearing aid technology.

In 2009 and 2010, I spent the summers observing and learning under audiologist ________ at ________ of ________. I spent time observing case history interviews, hearing device fittings, and hearing screenings. I was also taught how to clean hearing aids, modify ear molds, and I helped to make maintenance orders for broken hearing devices. I am also very fortunate to have observed a fitting of the Neuromonics Oasis tinnitus treatment device, one of the first clinical demonstrations in the state of ________. It was Dr. ________[audiologist]'s first experience with the device and its treatment procedure and I am glad I was there to learn about something I never would have experienced from my undergraduate studies.

I feel this makes me a balanced student because I have hands-on experience with a clinician, academic experience from classes, and a research perspective of audiology. I had actually considered pursuing a degree in history and working as a professor early on as a freshman, but audiology was much more captivating. Working with Dr. ________[audiologist] and experiencing audiology from a clinician's point of view made me fall in love with the field of clinical audiology. I am very interested in hearing screening, hearing aid fitting, and treatment in a clinical environment. Hyperacusis and the treatment of tinnitus are the very specific subjects within Audiology My dream in this field is to eventually manage my own private practice in audiology. This allows me have a more direct impact on people that is one-on-one and individualized, which is something I truly want in a career. From here I feel I can make a difference by improving the quality of life for my patients.

As you can tell it's still very bare-bones. I find creating a good intro to this particularly difficult, because I hear conflicting advice that I should use personal life experiences or that I should "start out with a bang", or that I should be more formal. Criticism is welcome, that's what helps me. What do you guys think?

I would just like to note: remember that when the average gpa/gre is X, that means a good number are both above and below that number. A professor told me at my school that in speech and audiology gre scores aren't as important as in other fields.

About your statement, it feels a bit too formulaic. It needs a more personal touch. Remember all applications are about selling yourself. You don't want to be just a list of accomplishments - there is a lack of passion. I don't doubt you have passion, but your writing doesn't reflect it. It can sometimes be better to go in-depth on a few important experiences than to describe everything.

See my comments interlaced below.

I chose to pursue a degree in clinical audiology because of my passion for the field of hearing science and my genuine desire to help those with hearing disabilities and hearing loss. [I will add more to this intro paragraph]

You wonder at the end if it's better to go with a resume-style first paragraph or something with pop. I believe pop reads better. To be honest, I agree with Rhomba in the sense that while your statement is well-written, it's not entirely attention-grabbing. This paragraph will still fit into your statement, but it probably fits better as a second paragraph as opposed to an introduction.

The best advice I received when I began writing my statement of purpose was, "Say something that no one else (or very few others) can say."

As an undergraduate student at The University of North Texas, I was involved in some research work with Dr. ________[a professor] over this past summer. This included a project concerning how earplugs with differing degrees of attenuation affect perception of music. From my work with Dr. ________[same professor] I was able to experience the research side of audiology, particularly hearing aid technology.

In 2009 and 2010, I spent the summers observing and learning under audiologist ________ at ________ of ________. I spent time observing case history interviews, hearing device fittings, and hearing screenings. I was also taught how to clean hearing aids, modify ear molds, and I helped to make maintenance orders for broken hearing devices. I am also very fortunate to have observed a fitting of the Neuromonics Oasis tinnitus treatment device, one of the first clinical demonstrations in the state of ________. It was Dr. ________[audiologist]’s first experience with the device and its treatment procedure and I am glad I was there to learn about something I never would have experienced from my undergraduate studies.

It's good to highlight your accomplishments, but be careful. The application to your school will probably have sections for this kind of resume-style writing, so your statement of purpose is best-used for describing why you're interested in audiology and what motivates you; let your resume speak for itself, then use your personal statement to showcase your talents, qualities, and assets that they don't ask you about!

You might also want to cover what you see yourself doing in the future (how do you want to use the education you'll be getting) and why you chose that school specifically... and by that, I don't mean suck up to them or brown-nose. For example, you did mention that you're interested in tinnitus treatment and hyperacusis. Do the schools you're applying to specialize in either of those or is there a specific class, conference, or professor that provides an emphasis? Mention that! That way, you're double-tasking: covering your assets and explaining why you want to be there. Make sense?

I feel this makes me a balanced student because I have hands-on experience with a clinician, academic experience from classes, and a research perspective of audiology. I had actually considered pursuing a degree in history and working as a professor early on as a freshman, but audiology was much more captivating. Working with Dr. ________[audiologist] and experiencing audiology from a clinician’s point of view made me fall in love with the field of clinical audiology. I am very interested in hearing screening, hearing aid fitting, and treatment in a clinical environment. Hyperacusis and the treatment of tinnitus are the very specific subjects within Audiology My dream in this field is to eventually manage my own private practice in audiology. This allows me have a more direct impact on people that is one-on-one and individualized, which is something I truly want in a career. From here I feel I can make a difference by improving the quality of life for my patients.

This section has a lot more grammatical errors than the others, but the direction is better. I would shy away from hyperbolic descriptors like, "my dream," unless you truly mean them. Play with a thesaurus a bit, but only use words you'd actually use in conversation or in writing. If you've never used 'ergo', don't put it in your statement because it will probably stick out like a sore thumb.

Like Rhomba, I can tell you're passionate, but I don't really feel that in your writing. Perhaps you should take a bit more of an anecdotal approach and see where that takes you?

If you're interested, I would be happy to share my personal statement and provide more input on your future drafts. Check your PM for my email address; that way I can track changes in MS Word for you.

Overall, it may seem like I ripped it apart, but I think you have a good start! Don't lose hope... I had 6 official drafts of my personal statement and worked on it for a good 10 months, but I'm pretty sure it's the reason I got into my top choice school and got a research assistantship. :)

You wonder at the end if it's better to go with a resume-style first paragraph or something with pop. I believe pop reads better. To be honest, I agree with Rhomba in the sense that while your statement is well-written, it's not entirely attention-grabbing. This paragraph will still fit into your statement, but it probably fits better as a second paragraph as opposed to an introduction.

The best advice I received when I began writing my statement of purpose was, "Say something that no one else (or very few others) can say."
I really don't have much. One of my friends used her experience growing up in an area where rarely anyone goes to school as her attention grabber. I don't have anything like that, I'm a pretty average/normal person. :laugh:

It's good to highlight your accomplishments, but be careful. The application to your school will probably have sections for this kind of resume-style writing, so your statement of purpose is best-used for describing why you're interested in audiology and what motivates you; let your resume speak for itself, then use your personal statement to showcase your talents, qualities, and assets that they don't ask you about!
Most of my applications don't have any resume-style component, so I had to compensate by putting that stuff in my personal statement.

You might also want to cover what you see yourself doing in the future (how do you want to use the education you'll be getting) and why you chose that school specifically... and by that, I don't mean suck up to them or brown-nose. For example, you did mention that you're interested in tinnitus treatment and hyperacusis. Do the schools you're applying to specialize in either of those or is there a specific class, conference, or professor that provides an emphasis? Mention that! That way, you're double-tasking: covering your assets and explaining why you want to be there. Make sense?
Yeah that makes sense, I'm planning on doing that for each school. I'm actually keeping in contact with professors over email right now to get a better idea of what's in each program.

This section has a lot more grammatical errors than the others, but the direction is better. I would shy away from hyperbolic descriptors like, "my dream," unless you truly mean them.
Yeah I just realized I have a lot of punctuation and grammar errors. Like I said this was very rough, it was mainly to see if you guys can give me some direction in terms of context rather than structure. I can easily work on the structure.

Like Rhomba, I can tell you're passionate, but I don't really feel that in your writing. Perhaps you should take a bit more of an anecdotal approach and see where that takes you?
I could do that, but I fear that I might make it too personal. For example, the biggest reason I want to do audiology is that when I went to shadow that audiologist, I fell in love with the 1-one-1 relationship between clinician and patient. I was in the room observing. I didn't even do anything, but I still got that sense of satisfaction knowing that the clinician made a difference in the patient's life. I know I will have that feeling as a private practitioner. The idea of helping people directly is such a great thing and it's what attracted me to the field. Would that be okay or is that too informal?

If you're interested, I would be happy to share my personal statement and provide more input on your future drafts. Check your PM for my email address; that way I can track changes in MS Word for you.
Yes I would love that, thank you very much.

Overall, it may seem like I ripped it apart, but I think you have a good start! Don't lose hope... I had 6 official drafts of my personal statement and worked on it for a good 10 months, but I'm pretty sure it's the reason I got into my top choice school and got a research assistantship. :)
First of all, that's fine, the reason I came here was to get constructive criticism.

Secondly, 10 months? Damn that's ridiculous, I respect you for that. I obviously don't have that much time, but then again I have a lot of free time, I've decided not to work this semester to focus on grad school, so I have plenty of time to refine my statement.

How would New GRE scores of 163 quantitative and 153 verbal compare to an old score of 960?

Good enough for grad schools? I know that on the old one at least 1000 was the goal and many times the average for a lot of applicants, but I'm not sure of the equivalents.