Need some opinions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmDr.

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well...I am currently a soph. and have a 3.1 GPA. I am gearing toward becoming a NP, but there is a long wait list at all schools in fl to get in. I have 4 W's already b/c of bad class signup and financial difficulties. How bad does this look for adcoms? I could be beginning med school by the time I get in a nursing program cause they are very comp. at the university level and there is a 2-5 yr. wait list at comm. colleges in the state! Am I still in the running for DO school? I have just did an interview at Nova for the BSN program, but the tuition is 17k for an undergrad program. There are no special loans like med school for undergrad nursing. Anyways, any help would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

How bad does this look for adcoms?
I am not going to lie, butit does not look promising unless you turn things around. Plus if you told me that same story how the waitlist for nursing school is long so you want to go to DO school I doubt I would even send you a secondary unless it is for the money, like PCOM, where everyone receives a 2º. Figure out what you really want to do and do it well. One thing ADCOMs do not like to hear is excuses especially when they get applicants from very unfortunate circumstances that find a way to succeed. I wish you the best of luck.

I am concerned that you would consider going to be a doc if what you really want to be is a nurse or a NP. I think that there are significant career differences and the amount of obligation that each of these goals requires. If you decide that being a physician TRUELY is what you want, you have some major work ahead of you but can probably still get into a DO school. Not only is the courseload significantly different between nursing and med school, but also the amount of time required afterwards.

My hunch would be to stick with what your heart was originally telling you to do (NP), you will be happier in the end.

Members don't see this ad :)
PharmDr. said:
Well...I am currently a soph. and have a 3.1 GPA. I am gearing toward becoming a NP, but there is a long wait list at all schools in fl to get in. I have 4 W's already b/c of bad class signup and financial difficulties. How bad does this look for adcoms? I could be beginning med school by the time I get in a nursing program cause they are very comp. at the university level and there is a 2-5 yr. wait list at comm. colleges in the state! Am I still in the running for DO school? I have just did an interview at Nova for the BSN program, but the tuition is 17k for an undergrad program. There are no special loans like med school for undergrad nursing. Anyways, any help would be appreciated.
I always tell people that if you want to be a doctor go to med school, if you want to be a nurse go to nursing school. I don't see why people want to go to nursing school to become a "practitioner" aka doctor. People don't go to med school to encroach on nursing. Pick one and go for it. JMHO

Thank you all for your replies. Just so you guys know, I do know the difference between nursing curriculum and that of med school. You are right, there is a big difference. I am just discouraged that nursing admissions was as difficult as it is. Yes, nurses are not req. to take org. chem, physics, and Bio 2,MCAT(big one) as pre-req so that would account for such high GPA standards but they do req. however micro bio. and A&P 1 &2. I have already considered most of the major health careers like dentistry,pharmacy(work as a pharm tech.) and optometry. It has always came back though to either beng a Doc or PA/NP. For what I want to do as a FP I consider being a NP and GP doc closely resembling. The more I think about it though, NP is what I am looking for. I am a guy so it took a while to get used to the term "nurse", but I have only heard of good things from various NP's. I dont want to do research, or be the top dawg in medicine. I just want to do doc like duties with less headaches(like high malpractice,more complicated cases,longer schooling,more debt) Anyways....good luck to you all in your long journey. Maybe one day I will be helping you guys out with your more mundane diagnoses.

PharmDr. said:

That 3.1 grade is going to have to come up.

ahh...debt. I guess you just have to suck it up and get used to the idea at some point. Good luck though. Go with your heart!

PharmDr. said:
Yes, nurses are not req. to take org. chem, physics, and Bio 2,MCAT(big one) as pre-req so that would account for such high GPA standards but they do req. however micro bio. and A&P 1 &2. I have already considered most of the major health careers like dentistry,pharmacy(work as a pharm tech.)
Nursing students take the Micro for people who haven't taken O Chem., and the A&P for people who haven't had Biochem. Trust me, I have a cousin who is going through nursing school to become an NP at the same university I attend. Her head pracitically spins when I tell her what I have to study to get into med school. Nurses diagnosing and writing scripts is kind of scary. If you work as an Rx tech too, you know what I am talking about. ;) Are you aware that there are some states that are "clinical" and allow pharmacists to do a lot of practice? This is far less scary, and if you ever decided you still want to be a physician, Pharm D to DO or MD is a far less shot that NP to DO or MD.