Need some serious advice for something outrageous!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Arrowhead

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I tried to resign from my job early, but my boss threatened to call up the schools I got in and to provide negative information. When I wouldn’t conform to his request to stay for 3 more months, he told me not to going in for work anymore, and I should expect “revised” letters to the medical schools.

Input please.

Members don't see this ad.

1. How did your boss get the phone numbers to your schools?

2. Does your school have your LOR-writers send LORs directly to med schools? If not, how would he have their addresses?

3. Why don't you just report him to your pre-med committee?

Oh boy...first off your boss is a dickhead...i quit a job that was probably similar to yours with a ****head for a boss...but he wasn't a letter writer and I made damn well sure no one in the lab new what schools I applied to, because from day one I had a bad feeling about how the place operated. I would jump the gun and send a letter to the medical schools informing them you have left the laboratory you were working in for X, Y and Z reasons and that you are afraid your boss may have some sort of vendetta because you aren't staying. This guy clearly has a lot of time on his hands if he is going to go threw with this shenanigan...so he may just be bluffing to keep the pair of hands around...but you don't want to mess with people like this guy so cover your butt and let the schools know the guys threat if you really really think he will go through with it. To be honest if you are in your file is closed and most schools will probably just dump **** like your boss's letter...especially if you have already turned in your transcript and health information...then your acceptance is finalized and your pre-med file closed so there would be little to worry about.

Members don't see this ad :)
Arrowhead said:
I tried to resign from my job early, but my boss threatened to call up the schools I got in and to provide negative information. When I wouldn’t conform to his request to stay for 3 more months, he told me not to going in for work anymore, and I should expect “revised” letters to the medical schools.

Input please.
screw him...med schools would notice something fishy about the situation..even if he were to do it they would inquire his motive for refixing the LOR...this is just a threat so dont stress lol good luck man

Rafa said:
1. How did your boss get the phone numbers to your schools?

2. Does your school have your LOR-writers send LORs directly to med schools? If not, how would he have their addresses?

3. Why don't you just report him to your pre-med committee?

To answer yours questions, I have been out of school since May. I just told him all the schools I got accepted to, and which one my favorite is. His letter was actually not one of the original LORs, but an additional letter sent later in the application process. Although the letter is still sent through my school's pre-med committee, he can easily look up for phone numbers and addresses online.

Also, I was just informed of the situation when he called me at 10pm tonight! So I didn't have chance to report him to my pre-med committee yet.

Thank you everyone for the input. I really appreciate it.

Yes, I knew he is extremely unprofessional. But I was just too naïve to always believe the best in people. It’s a good lesson learned.

Also, people in the lab told me he actually has a reputation to do this, and has done it several times (to people’s future employers).

I am curious if anyone know whether there are legal consequences for such cases?

Arrowhead said:
I am curious if anyone know whether there are legal consequences for such cases?

i dont think there is any legal argument that you can have. he can say that he changed his letters because he thought your performance dwindled or something instead of the truth.

CYA= cover your ass

and do it quick. after all this is over you may want to report this to his boss if he has one, its def not a good reputation for a place to have

Was there a promise on your part to stay for a certain period of time, and then you didn't?

Flopotomist said:
Was there a promise on your part to stay for a certain period of time, and then you didn't?

There was never any written or even oral promise. I said "I can," not even "I will" stay until med school starts. Also, until now, my status there is still only a temp, even though I've been working fulltime this whole time

Arrowhead said:
There was never any written or even oral promise. I said "I can," not even "I will" stay until med school starts. Also, until now, my status there is still only a temp, even though I've been working fulltime this whole time

I don't know your boss, but that almost sounds like an empty threat to keep you working. Almost all schools that accept letters of recommendation require you to put your SS# and/or AAMC ID.

I hope your boss doesn't have your AAMC ID but more importantly, he better not be abusing your SS#.

I'd give the admissions offices a call tomorow and give them a heads up and ask for their advice. Good luck!

snobored18 said:
I would jump the gun and send a letter to the medical schools informing them you have left the laboratory you were working in for X, Y and Z reasons and that you are afraid your boss may have some sort of vendetta because you aren't staying.

i definatley would not do this. if your boss actually does go through w/ it, which he won't, your school is going to know that this is personal........considering he wrote you a lor. they aren't going to revoke your admission over something so stupid. if you are really very worried about it, go to the chairman of your dept and tell him what your boss is doing. don't worry about it. your boss is full of **** and just trying to scare you to squeeze a little more blood out of the turnip.

There is an easy solution to this:

Hire a lawyer to send him a letter. In fact, you can even write a fake one if you can't afford a real one (the only drawbacks will be that you have to look up the relevant law as well as hope that your boss overlooks the lack of a phone number).

What you boss is doing/threatening is very illegal and considered slander for which you can file a personal suit against him for. A lawyer would only cost you a couple hundred bucks, but it is insurance, peace of mind, and, of course satisfying.

Mutt said:
In fact, you can even write a fake one if you can't afford a real one (the only drawbacks will be that you have to look up the relevant law as well as hope that your boss overlooks the lack of a phone number).

Really bad advice. You would be committing fraud, and perhaps unauthorized practice of law, and giving your boss a weapon which actually could get you expelled, or never licensed due to character issues. Don't do this.

Members don't see this ad :)
This same thing happened to a friend of mine. Completely unprofessional and your boss's boss woul be appalled. I would schedule a meeting with your boss's boss, your boss, and your HR rep right away. This needs to be resolved in the presence of others. Good luck with this psycho jealous person.

Law2Doc said:
Really bad advice. You would be committing fraud, and perhaps unauthorized practice of law, and giving your boss a weapon which actually could get you expelled, or never licensed due to character issues. Don't do this.

Definitely agree with this.

Keep documentation of dates/times of when you were threatened. Perhaps in a journal or better yet if you have a blog (then it's got a timestamp). Print out your post from SDN, and tell everyone you know about the threat. If he starts cornering you at work, move to an area where other people are so there are witnesses. Don't take any phone calls directly from him but let your answering machine or voicemail take his calls in the event he is stupid enough to leave a threat in a message.

If you have no contractual obligation, and YOU gave your resignation, then your boss has no grounds for writing a letter. In fact, he's harrassing and blackmailing you by doing this. If he did end up writing a letter, I would call a lawyer. Until then, let him know you've documented his threats, and that everyone knows about his threats.

I would inform your pre-med committee, too, but not necessarily the med schools.

Bottom line, as an other posted said:

Cover your a**.

Don't be a victim. No one should have that much power over you!

Be sure to tell your old boss the bright side of all this nonsense. One day you will be able to prescribe meds to help his condition.

Arrowhead said:

Input please.

This sounds like a job for SEXUAL HARASSMENT PANDA!!!

I agree with the person that said talk to HR or your boss' boss- it's really unacceptable behavior on your boss' part. Also, you can file for unemployment and collect it if when you quit, he said don't come back and didn't let you finish your final 2 weeks- he essentially fired you and you have a right to file for unemployment (my mom is a small business owner and people who she fired for stealing still get unemployment all the time which drives me crazy but I think you deserve it in this case and your boss has to pay for some of it so its kind of a last **** you to him).

Also, when people call my mom for references of her past employees it is state law that she cannot trash them even if they sucked as an employee- basically she can only recommend them or say that she personally would not hire them again. She is every limited in telling other employers about the employees ****ty behavior as most employment laws are on the side of the employee. So basically hands down what your boss is doing is grounds for legal action, im guessing you don't have the money to sue him but I think the idea of paying a lawyer a few hundred $ to draft a cease and desist letter and/or the threat of a lawsuit if your boss contacts any med schools is a good one- itwill prob just scare him into shutting up. This sucks though and Im sorry you are stressing about it.

TracksuitsRock said:
This same thing happened to a friend of mine. Completely unprofessional and your boss's boss woul be appalled. I would schedule a meeting with your boss's boss, your boss, and your HR rep right away. This needs to be resolved in the presence of others. Good luck with this psycho jealous person.
This sounds like good advice.

Say Law2Doc, isn't what this boss is doing considered "slander" or something like that? I am just assuming from your screen name tha tyou may have some experience here.

I think someone mentioned it above, but this needs to be emphasized:

CALL EVERY ONE OF YOUR SCHOOLS! TODAY!

HR and harassment and lawsuits are all well and good, but priority #1 needs to be ensuring your med school apps aren't damaged.

Explain things to the dean...make sure the school hears your side of the story first, before your whack-job boss gets to them.

gdbaby said:
This sounds like good advice.

Say Law2Doc, isn't what this boss is doing considered "slander" or something like that? I am just assuming from your screen name tha tyou may have some experience here.

Not really. It would technically be libel (written), not slander (spoken). But you'd need to be able to prove it wasn't "true" and so it totally depends on whether the revised letters are false and you can prove it. The problem is recommendation letters are letters of him stating his opinion. So no dice here.
But a threatening letter from your lawyer might go a long way in scaring the guy into not doing something rash.

Your boss sounds like an unbelievable prick. And a dimension no one has mentioned is that he knew you were applying to med school and could conceivably quit at any time, yet he gave you no forewarning that he would hardball you. You need to stand up for yourself.

Assuming you didn't lie on your apps in any way that he could expose, I can 't imagine he could do anything to get your admission rescinded. It is actually kind of a good thing that his recommendation letter came later. He signed that letter and now, presumably not much later, he's changed his mind and will sign that? Sketchy.

Step 1: Begin to document everything, as someone said. Send him email and see if you can get him to put any of this in writing. Get your own written documentation. For example, you might send an email to a friend or someone saying what this guy is doing and that you believe and have had every indication that you've performed well, etc.

Step 2: Talk to him. See if you can talk him out of it. Try to find out why he's doing this. Also, in the process, try to find out (if possible to do tactfully) what exactly he is planning to say/do in the "revised" letters.

Step 3: Assuming that doesn't work, I'm not sure. But again, I don't think you have to worry too much. I would just go ahead and quit. Maybe offer to give a couple extra weeks as a compromise if that works for you. If you can find a way to consult with a lawyer without paying a huge amount, you might want to do that.

By the way, are you waiting to hear from any schools that are important to you? It's much less likely that a school is going to rescind an acceptance on this basis than that they would change their mind about accepting you.

beetlerum said:
Your boss sounds like an unbelievable prick. And a dimension no one has mentioned is that he knew you were applying to med school and could conceivably quit at any time, yet he gave you no forewarning that he would hardball you. You need to stand up for yourself.

Assuming you didn't lie on your apps in any way that he could expose, I can 't imagine he could do anything to get your admission rescinded. It is actually kind of a good thing that his recommendation letter came later. He signed that letter and now, presumably not much later, he's changed his mind and will sign that? Sketchy.

Step 1: Begin to document everything, as someone said. Send him email and see if you can get him to put any of this in writing. Get your own written documentation. For example, you might send an email to a friend or someone saying what this guy is doing and that you believe and have had every indication that you've performed well, etc.

Step 2: Talk to him. See if you can talk him out of it. Try to find out why he's doing this. Also, in the process, try to find out (if possible to do tactfully) what exactly he is planning to say/do in the "revised" letters.

Step 3: Assuming that doesn't work, I'm not sure. But again, I don't think you have to worry too much. I would just go ahead and quit. Maybe offer to give a couple extra weeks as a compromise if that works for you. If you can find a way to consult with a lawyer without paying a huge amount, you might want to do that.

By the way, are you waiting to hear from any schools that are important to you? It's much less likely that a school is going to rescind an acceptance on this basis than that they would change their mind about accepting you.

If you DO talk to him, never do it alone. Keep someone with you to serve as a witness. If he tells you he wants to talk to you alone, tell him you don't feel comfortable with that.

If he's acting this crazy, you don't want to give him any leverage.

Just half-ass your job. In a little while he won't fire you, instead he'll likely ask you to quit. (Which is what you want, anyway.) Nothing is a bigger cancer on a workplace than an employee who is openly unsatisfied with his or her job. (However, if you're fired you're eligible for unemployment benefits anyway, and getting paid to do nothing for 3 or 4 months before you start medical school would kick ass.)

Don't give in and get back him passive-aggressively. Don't let him make you change your plans and stay.

jebus said:
Just half-ass your job. In a little while he won't fire you, instead he'll likely ask you to quit. (Which is what you want, anyway.) Nothing is a bigger cancer on a workplace than an employee who is openly unsatisfied with his or her job. (However, if you're fired you're eligible for unemployment benefits anyway, and getting paid to do nothing for 3 or 4 months before you start medical school would kick ass.)

Hi everyone, I am back from a day’s talking and meeting, and here is the report. I talked to HR, my PI’s boss, my pre-med adviser, and packed my belongings from the lab. It was difficult leaving the lab. Everyone (except the PI of course) has been so nice and sympathetic of my situation.

HR will intervene in the matter, and my PI’s boss said he will step in if HR requests him to do so. My pre-med adviser and many people in the lab said they will write me letters if I choose to.

I am afraid to contact the schools for I don’t want to create unnecessary trouble for myself if my PI ended up not retaliating. For now, I am waiting for HR to get back to me before considering seeking legal assistance. I have another appointment with them tomorrow. I did start documenting everything now, and provide HR and my PI’s boss with copies.

THANK YOU SO MUCH GUYS FOR ALL YOUR SUPPORT!

Law2Doc said:

Well, your assessment is entirely a priori, so you can say that and think you're right but in all reality, such a letter would likely leave the guy (i.e. a$$hole boss) very unnerved. The likelihood that he would even think the OP would fake it is too low to consider. Secondly, there would be little to no way to prove that the OP faked such a letter (if proper precautions were taken; i.e. the OP could set up a fake voicemail box for about $10 which would enable the call to be received, then the OP's law-school friend (or you!) could call up and converse with the a$$hole boss).

Mutt said:
Well, your assessment is entirely a priori, so you can say that and think you're right but in all reality, such a letter would likely leave the guy (i.e. a$$hole boss) very unnerved. The likelihood that he would even think the OP would fake it is too low to consider. Secondly, there would be little to no way to prove that the OP faked such a letter (if proper precautions were taken; i.e. the OP could set up a fake voicemail box for about $10 which would enable the call to be received, then the OP's law-school friend (or you!) could call up and converse with the a$$hole boss).
........or he could hire the A-Team.

Arrowhead said:
Thank you everyone for the input. I really appreciate it.

Yes, I knew he is extremely unprofessional. But I was just too naïve to always believe the best in people. It’s a good lesson learned.

Also, people in the lab told me he actually has a reputation to do this, and has done it several times (to people’s future employers).

I'd play it cool with this guy, but I wouldn't be manipulated by him either. Try to get out of the situation without him doing this crap. If this is a big company or university, you have the option of writing a letter to the human resource department describing that he has threatened to contact your medical schools to damage your future. They will tell him not to. They should know, but you can remind them that they are legally liable for his actions as your boss. You can sue them into the ground. If you lost an acceptance, you could sue him and your employer for a gargantuan amount of money, considering the lifetime earnings loss plus a large penalty for malicious injury. All this said, you probably don't want the headaches, so try to make this a clean transition. You also have the option of sending the schools a letter, simply stating that you have given appropriate notice of termination at your job, and that there is a possibility of a negative letter from your boss. Don't say anything else - just leave it at that. So, if he does contact them, they'll know his motive. I don't think they could justify revoking an acceptance. They'd need good justification and a disgruntled ex-boss is not even close. Good luck.

P.S. After you've left the job and begun somewhere else / med school, you should write an anonymous letter to human resources and describe that he is threatening employees. Be ambigous about the details so it's not obviously from you. Someone needs to say something.

Arrowhead said:

Input please.

This is such a non-problem. If you have been accepted you have even less to worry about than if you hadn't been accepted yet. Give him you two-week notice (or not), shake his hand, and tell him how much you enjoyed working for him. (Never, ever, pull a "take ths job and shove it")

He is more full of crap than a Christmas goose. You might grow a pair and tell him this. If you're worried pay a lawyer three or four hundred bucks to draft a letter because employers are most certainly not allowed to slander you.

Mutt said:

Dude -- who does this? You are advising someone to enter into a pretty significant fraud.

Law2Doc said:
Dude -- who does this? You are advising someone to enter into a pretty significant fraud.

Very true, and from a simple tactical point of view it would vacate the high ground the OP now occupies. If the lie did come to light, it would cause everyone involved to assume the "boss" had grounds to retract his recommendation. Bad idea...