Need to be realistic here, what schools to apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RamsFan1991

NYU College of Dentistry, Class of 2019
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I will be applying this June for the upcoming July 2015 cycle. However, I need to be very considerate for my choices for school due to my GPA and funds. Here are some of my stats

oGPA: 3.40
sGPA: 3.28
DAT: Taking in July
Extracurricular: Two summers of research in Pharmacology and Toxicology, pending publication as co-author of one paper, presented research on individual project in San Diego for EB 2014 convention.
Shadowing: Nearing 100 hours, about to accept a part-time position as assistant in Orthodontics clinic at my local school of dentistry (VCU School of Dentistry). Getting X-ray certified to help out at the dentist office where I currently shadow.

Some of my choices for school so far:

VCU (top choice)
Oklahoma College of Dentistry
NYU
Arizona School of Dentistry

I want to apply to at least 10 schools to broaden my chances of getting in due to my low GPA. I'd like to apply to at least 1-2 schools in California, but at this point I need to be able to get into at least 2 dental schools. I'm already taking a gap year before July 2015 and just can't afford to lose time. I already checked the stickied threads and they seem outdated or the links won't work. Can you guys help me with schools to apply to and possibly DAT scores for each school I should be shooting for when I take the DAT in July? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

How many community service hours do you have? Need a substantial amount for ASDOH which you've listed.

Do you have any ties to Oklahoma? They aren't exact OOS friendly.

Aim for 21+ DAT, best chances are at private schools and since you've listed NYU, cost of attendance doesn't seem to be an issue.

I'd look into BU, Tufts, both Midwestern, Western, USC, UDM, Louisville, Case Western, UNE, and Temple.

I need to be very considerate for my choices for school due to my GPA and funds.

assuming you live in the RVA, you could simply amtrak it up and down the coast and hit nyc and boston without breaking a sweat (or your wallet with airfare)...so look at temple and umd as well. but i gotta be honest here, it seems like you haven't done a shred of research where to apply beyond a cursory look at a half decade old thread. look for the guides @doc toothache creates every application season. they're essentially distilled versions of the adea guide for free.

I need to be able to get into at least 2 dental schools.

interesting. are you planning on attending at least two schools simultaneously?

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
assuming you live in the RVA, you could simply amtrak it up and down the coast and hit nyc and boston without breaking a sweat (or your wallet with airfare)...so look at temple and umd as well. but i gotta be honest here, it seems like you haven't done a shred of research where to apply beyond a cursory look at a half decade old thread. look for the guides @doc toothache creates every application season. they're essentially distilled versions of the adea guide for free.

interesting. are you planning on attending at least two schools simultaneously?

Thanks I'll look into the guide. I have done research it's just difficult to know which universities I should apply to based on my GPA. I say at least two schools because if I apply to 10 schools, it would be nice to at least hear back from 2 so I'm not freaking out about getting into no school or into 1 and everything hinges on that one interview.

How many community service hours do you have? Need a substantial amount for ASDOH which you've listed.

Do you have any ties to Oklahoma? They aren't exact OOS friendly.

Aim for 21+ DAT, best chances are at private schools and since you've listed NYU, cost of attendance doesn't seem to be an issue.

I'd look into BU, Tufts, both Midwestern, Western, USC, UDM, Louisville, Case Western, UNE, and Temple.

Those schools were just what I needed. Thank you, I don't have many volunteering hours at all, mostly research hours so I guess ASDOH is off the list. Not really any ties to Oklahoma but my dad's friend got into there and he had a low GPA so.