Rejected from midwestern, offered to apply to other health programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aiikookie

PrePod
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
MWZ emailed suggesting they transfer my application free of cost to some other programs like pharmacy, podiatry and a biomed masters. Are they essentially saying they will interview me for these programs if I do transfer my application? I'm just curious since it's free of cost.

Members don't see this ad.

MWZ emailed suggesting they transfer my application free of cost to some other programs like pharmacy, podiatry and a biomed masters. Are they essentially saying they will interview me for these programs if I do transfer my application? I'm just curious since it's free of cost.
Highly doubtful since I assume you would have 0 experience with pharm and pod as compared to other applicants to those programs, so that makes no sense.... The only one I would consider is the masters since that could help if you have a low undergrad GPA but I've never heard of this type of transfer before 🤷 and I would be cautious in assuming it is a guaranteed interview.

Reactions: 1 user
No guarantee for an interview, just a free application. Honestly I would ignore those emails. A biomed master's can be done anywhere, preferably at a cheaper, more local university.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know about interviewing, but they would take a look if you are really interested. Those specific programs probably want/need more applications to fill their class, and it is a check to see if your interest lies in working in the area in any role rather than just in dentistry.

but I've never heard of this type of transfer before
I knew an orthopedic surgeon who said that of those who had not gotten accepted into his DO medical school, they, the school, would take the students who got rejected and take their application and apply for them to the DPM podiatry school at the same university...so it's not completely unheard of. But yes, it wouldn't guarantee an interview, just let the students "cross-apply", so to speak.

Pharmacy programs are struggling to fill their class. I don't know anything about the rest. But I think there is a more than 90% chance you would get an interview to pharmacy school. Even with no pharm experience and a PS geared towards dental. They would not transfer your application free of cost if they didn't already make a deal

Reactions: 2 users
Interesting/savvy. Throw rejected applicants a bone, and the return on investment, should an applicant succeed in either podiatry or pharmacy, would be a cool ~200K (in tuition).

Consider yourself lucky.

You were saved from half a million + in student loans at MWU
Now they are asking him/her/them to spend that money at their pharmacy school

• Haha
It makes their other programs seem more competitive or desirable if they shift applications to them to increase the number of applicants.

If you want to be a dentist, no need to send your app to anything but dental programs.

On the other hand - the school in question is WAY TOO EXPENSIVE. Don't apply to schools that cost this much, period.

I was actually asked (via an email) if I wanted the application at MWZ to be transferred to their 3-year pharmacy program (both campuses, if wanted). Is it likely that I will get an interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was actually asked (via an email) if I wanted the application at MWZ to be transferred to their 3-year pharmacy program (both campuses, if wanted). Is it likely that I will get an interview?
Very likely

There’s never a guarantee for anything. It’s a cash grab, don’t fall for it.
How do you mean? Aren't you applying to become a pharmacist just like pre-pharms applying to pharm schools? Are you talking about the tuition of the pharm school there?

It makes their other programs seem more competitive or desirable if they shift applications to them to increase the number of applicants.

If you want to be a dentist, no need to send your app to anything but dental programs.

On the other hand - the school in question is WAY TOO EXPENSIVE. Don't apply to schools that cost this much, period.
Which is way too expensive, the dental or pharm school?

How do you mean? Aren't you applying to become a pharmacist just like pre-pharms applying to pharm schools? Are you talking about the tuition of the pharm school there?
You’re not applying to pharmacy, you’re applying to dentistry and they’ve deemed your app not good enough for their school so they’re trying to see if you just want to go into healthcare or if your passions are solely dentistry. idk About pharm schools but I know that some of them are predatory and are willing to do anything to fill a class. Don’t fall for it.

Do you want to be a dentist, or a pharmacist? There is no wrong answer here, but decide on one and stick to it.

It's a cash grab in that those who applied and didn't get in, but weren't dead set on dental to begin with, may start to doubt their application will get them an interview/acceptance at other dental schools they applied to and just go ahead with pharmacy. This way the student gets "screwed" in that the schools still get an applicant and all the other high tuition fees they get to collect from the student.
Which is way too expensive, the dental or pharm school?
Definitely dental, more than likely both.

Reactions: 1 users
You’re not applying to pharmacy, you’re applying to dentistry and they’ve deemed your app not good enough for their school so they’re trying to see if you just want to go into healthcare or if your passions are solely dentistry. idk About pharm schools but I know that some of them are predatory and are willing to do anything to fill a class. Don’t fall for it.
Is this solely based upon your opinion? I agree that luring applicants to other non-professional programs like masters/etc is pure marketing, but I do not see how applying to pharm school is predatory considering pharmacist is one of desired jobs like dentists, and naturally won't have filling up their class.

Is this solely based upon your opinion? I agree that luring applicants to other non-professional programs like masters/etc is pure marketing, but I do not see how applying to pharm school is predatory considering pharmacist is one of desired jobs like dentists, and naturally won't have filling up their class.
It's predatory in that they are trying to sway someone, and if someone can be swayed, more than likely they did not do their due diligence and research and then they get screwed with extremely high loan amounts when they choose the other school on a whim. Look, no offense to PharmD's, but for the amount of tuition and time it takes to get their training... an associate's degree RN doing locums and travel will beat them, not to mention get treated better by the corporate world of hospitals. But I digress. This isn't just mine or Rysndek's opinion, it looks like princeafrica, allDAT, and PerioDont agree here too, I think.

It's predatory in that they are trying to sway someone, and if someone can be swayed, more than likely they did not do their due diligence and research and then they get screwed with extremely high loan amounts when they choose the other school on a whim. Look, no offense to PharmD's, but for the amount of tuition and time it takes to get their training... an associate's degree RN doing locums and travel will beat them, not to mention get treated better by the corporate world of hospitals. But I digress. This isn't just mine or Rysndek's opinion, it looks like princeafrica, allDAT, and PerioDont agree here too, I think.
Well said

So you have a problem with pharmacy programs/and the career as a pharmacist in general, not specifically Midwestern's way of swaying dental applicants?

So you have a problem with pharmacy programs/and the career as a pharmacist in general, not specifically Midwestern's way of swaying dental applicants?
A lot of pharmacy schools have opened up where they charge large amounts of tuition and the cost of the degree outweighs how much they might make. There’s a lot less regulation In pharmacy than in dentistry in regards to new schools opening. We are just saying to be weary of changing professions where the degree costs a lot. If you applied to dental school you had reasons, don’t doubt yourself because a school is offering an other way out.

I have my own beef with specific pharmacists, and lab techs, and ancillary services in general in the life of working in a hospital setting, of which I will not get into here. But avoiding that, yes, I do have a lot to say about pharmacy programs and the career outlook of PharmD's in general. Some of it is (I will not be afraid to admit it) hearsay, and not at all from firsthand experience. What do you want to know?

A lot of pharmacy schools have opened up where they charge large amounts of tuition and the cost of the degree outweighs how much they might make. There’s a lot less regulation In pharmacy than in dentistry in regards to new schools opening. We are just saying to be weary of changing professions where the degree costs a lot.
Ah I see. I do not know anything about pharmacy school tuition. Midwestern's 3-year (most pharm schools are 4-year, right?) sounds very attractive to me, and yearly tuition looks definitely cheaper than dental school. Also I heard that fresh grads make at least 100k right out working in CVS or sth. I am considering this program if I am accepted to only expensive dental schools this cycle. I mean...looking at rough numbers on websites the avg annual salary of dentist and pharmacists is like 30k~50k difference? I think it's a stable job in my layman opinion...But you gave me a new insight thank you

I have my own beef with specific pharmacists, and lab techs, and ancillary services in general in the life of working in a hospital setting, of which I will not get into here. But avoiding that, yes, I do have a lot to say about pharmacy programs and the career outlook of PharmD's in general. Some of it is (I will not be afraid to admit it) hearsay, and not at all from firsthand experience. What do you want to know?
I'm just a layman, but Midwestern's 3-year pharm program sounded very attractive to me (when most are 4-year, am I right?), not to mention their cheaper tuition compared to dental school (this goes without saying really but still...). Also known avg salary for pharmicists is not bad, like early 100ks? I mean I don't know, within my knowledge I think pharmacist isn't bad...

Ah I see. I do not know anything about pharmacy school tuition. Midwestern's 3-year (most pharm schools are 4-year, right?) sounds very attractive to me, and yearly tuition looks definitely cheaper than dental school. Also I heard that fresh grads make at least 100k right out working in CVS or sth. I am considering this program if I am accepted to only expensive dental schools this cycle. I mean...looking at rough numbers on websites the avg annual salary of dentist and pharmacists is like 30k~50k difference? I think it's a stable job in my layman opinion...But you gave me a new insight thank you
Don’t forget about taxes And heavy interests rates on student loans! While you may owe less going to pharmacy you’re going to ultimately be making less while a dentist may make more as they grow their skills and have the potential of buying a practice. Gotta look at the bigger picture rather than simply wages. But if pharmacy is something that interests you, I’d try to go somewhere that’s the cheapest and take your time researching the field rather than just jumping in. It’s a big decision to go to professional school so you wanna make sure you’re making the best decision for yourself.

Pharmacy programs are struggling to fill their class. I don't know anything about the rest. But I think there is a more than 90% chance you would get an interview to pharmacy school. Even with no pharm experience and a PS geared towards dental. They would not transfer your application free of cost if they didn't already make a deal
I just read this now, Pharm schools across the nation, in general, are struggling to fill their class? Is this true?

I was pre-pharm before I switched to pre-dental back in 2017 after working as a pharmacy technician.
Pharmacists really get screwed by CVS, Walgreens, Walmart.
By the time you get out the pay may be $90k per year. You will have a hard time finding a full time job in retail. Most new grads are floating from store to store. I have seen this first hand when I worked as a pharmacy tech. This was back in 2017 and it has gotten much worse according to my friends who are pharmacists.

Go check out the pharmacy forum on here

Don’t forget about taxes And heavy interests rates on student loans! While you may owe less going to pharmacy you’re going to ultimately be making less while a dentist may make more as they grow their skills and have the potential of buying a practice. Gotta look at the bigger picture rather than simply wages. But if pharmacy is something that interests you, I’d try to go somewhere that’s the cheapest and take your time researching the field rather than just jumping in. It’s a big decision to go to professional school so you wanna make sure you’re making the best decision for yourself.
So you are saying although dental schools have higher tuition they will pay off better in future, in the long run, right?

I just read this now, Pharm schools across the nation, in general, are struggling to fill their class? Is this true?

Many pharmacy schools have stopped requirement the PCAT and a bachelor degree in hopes to get more students into their program to fill their seats. On the U.S Bureau of labor statistics pharmacy as a 2% job outlook, last couple years it had a negative 3% job outlook.

So you are saying although dental schools have higher tuition they will pay off better in future, in the long run, right?

Try and go to the cheapest dental school. But dentistry has a higher earning potential than pharmacy

I was pre-pharm before I switched to pre-dental back in 2017 after working as a pharmacy technician.
Pharmacists really get screwed by CVS, Walgreens, Walmart.
By the time you get out the pay may be $90k per year. You will have a hard time finding a full time job in retail. Most new grads are floating from store to store. I have seen this first hand when I worked as a pharmacy tech. This was back in 2017 and it has gotten much worse according to my friends who are pharmacists.

Go check out the pharmacy forum on here
Thank you. I guess I was misled in thinking that I have a good backup plan if I am rejected by all dental schools. Thank you.

Thank you all for your professional insights...damn how come you all so knowledgeable.

Thank you all for your professional insights...damn how come you all so knowledgeable.

It's what SDN is for! I've learned so much about navigating professional school admission from pharmacy to dental to endo through SDN.
School admissions people will tell you the basics and recruiters will tell you all the great things about their program. But here on SDN you get to get a wide range of perspective and information. Ultimately you gotta take things with a grain of salt and then make the best decision for yourself.

Reactions: 3 users
UPDATE:
I applied to the podiatry program as a joke and I have just received an interview offer via email for virtual or in-person.

How is this possible? I didn't do the MCAT nor do I have podiatry experience. What do I do now, should I do the interview? So far I have not gotten a dental interview.

UPDATE:
I applied to the podiatry program as a joke and I have just received an interview offer via email for virtual or in-person.

How is this possible? I didn't do the MCAT nor do I have podiatry experience. What do I do now, should I do the interview? So far I have not gotten a dental interview.
Prepare for the interview...?

There are some schools that aren't putting weight on requiring the MCAT since the pandemic (they also take January and spring scores). Getting podiatry experience can happen even after you interview as long a you get a few hours before matriculation.

Or you can drop the interview off you really weren't serious about it. Check out the pod forums here. You'll get an impression similar to what you have read in this thread about Pharmacy.

Prepare for the interview...?

There are some schools that aren't putting weight on requiring the MCAT since the pandemic (they also take January and spring scores). Getting podiatry experience can happen even after you interview as long a you get a few hours before matriculation.

Or you can drop the interview off you really weren't serious about it. Check out the pod forums here. You'll get an impression similar to what you have read in this thread about Pharmacy.
I've done a lot of research on podiatry and it all seems very interesting. I could find an interest in this as I have a family of diabetics with nasty feet.

Question of the day: will my interviewers know I am a transferred applicant from dentistry? If so, will they even bother asking my interests in podiatry and my experience in it? As I cannot lie and say that it's my dream to become a podiatrist. How does the interview usually go for transferred applicants?

I've done a lot of research on podiatry and it all seems very interesting. I could find an interest in this as I have a family of diabetics with nasty feet.

Question of the day: will my interviewers know I am a transferred applicant from dentistry? If so, will they even bother asking my interests in podiatry and my experience in it? As I cannot lie and say that it's my dream to become a podiatrist. How does the interview usually go for transferred applicants?
Did you fill out and submit an AACPMAS application? If so, they won't know. If you have permission to transfer your AADSAS application over, then it's possible. If course they will ask you why Podiatry and your experiences. But it's up to you and your career goals... but you should answer honestly rather than try to play the game.

Did you fill out and submit an AACPMAS application? If so, they won't know. If you have permission to transfer your AADSAS application over, then it's possible. If course they will ask you why Podiatry and your experiences. But it's up to you and your career goals... but you should answer honestly rather than try to play the game.
I didn't fill that out. They emailed me with a link to fill out some info (attached) and i chose podiatry. I will make sure to be honest but I will try to showcase my interest still as it's not something that I would decline if I didn't get any dental acceptances.

Attachments

• A4575088-62E8-4AA3-80CC-F1AB8EBF6436.png
    A4575088-62E8-4AA3-80CC-F1AB8EBF6436.png
    101 KB · Views: 40
I presume you have been rejected then from MW? Or a low position for interview?

What I expect: podiatry student admissions ambassadors should be reaching out to you if you have questions about Podiatry. Go to the pod forums if you want to know more.

I presume you have been rejected then from MW? Or a low position for interview?

What I expect: podiatry student admissions ambassadors should be reaching out to you if you have questions about Podiatry. Go to the pod forums if you want to know more.
Got the rejection from mw and received the email for transfer a couple days after.

Okay will do thank you!

I was rejected from MWZ and received the pharm transfer recommendation few days later. But my MWI is still under review, and the officer told me specifically that choosing to be also considered for pharm candidate will not affect my MWI dental app review.

Look at the pharmacy forums on SDN.

It ain't a pretty picture.

Stay far away from private schools setting you back hundreds of thousands of dollars.

I have personal experience as I grew up in AZ, and know tons of people that went to MWU AZ and AT Still and are tremendously struggling with student loan balances.

Look at the pharmacy forums on SDN.
Podiatry forums are similarly pessimistic.

Pre-dents: If you like dentistry, you should stick with it rather than just starting whatever program is willing to take you. 1 or 2 years doesn't make the biggest difference compared to the 30-40 years you'll actually be doing the job.

It ain't a pretty picture.
And it isn't one of those "grass is greener on the other side" of pictures either. It's not like dentists bemoaning "oh, I should've become a physician, they get to (list pros of medicine here while ignoring the cons)" and physicians/surgeons stating at the same time "oh woe is me, I should've gone into dentistry, they get to (insert pros of dentistry here while also ignoring the cons)". No, the career outlook of pharmacy, coupled with the amount of time and money it takes to become one, makes it hard to justify the time and financial means needed to become one. At least with dentistry, if done at the correct (cheap) school and with some good advice heeded from WCI, it still makes financial sense to pursue it.

And it isn't one of those "grass is greener on the other side" of pictures either. It's not like dentists bemoaning "oh, I should've become a physician, they get to (list pros of medicine here while ignoring the cons)" and physicians/surgeons stating at the same time "oh woe is me, I should've gone into dentistry, they get to (insert pros of dentistry here while also ignoring the cons)". No, the career outlook of pharmacy, coupled with the amount of time and money it takes to become one, makes it hard to justify the time and financial means needed to become one. At least with dentistry, if done at the correct (cheap) school and with some good advice heeded from WCI, it still makes financial sense to pursue it.
???