Need to decide today! Will traveling for a class in January affect my interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AZRobbins

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying this cycle (2018-2019), and I was accepted into a class that includes a trip abroad for the entire month of January. The class will be an amazing experience and is medically-related, but I am concerned that this conflict will impact my interviews.
Will there be enough flexibility with interview scheduling to work around this? Or am I potentially hurting my chances?
I have to give the professor an answer TODAY as to whether or not I want to be in the class.

Thank you for any advice you can give me!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
January is when interview seasons are starting to wrap up. A lot end at the end of February/mid-March. I'd get your application in the first day possible, which could help increase your chances of getting an earlier interview. Note: that isn't a guarantee for earlier interviews, it could just help you get reviewed faster if some schools go in chronological order (doubtful)

With all that being said, schools are typically flexible with their interview dates and you could always push it back until February if they interview that late.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am applying this cycle (2018-2019), and I was accepted into a class that includes a trip abroad for the entire month of January. The class will be an amazing experience and is medically-related, but I am concerned that this conflict will impact my interviews.
Will there be enough flexibility with interview scheduling to work around this? Or am I potentially hurting my chances?
I have to give the professor an answer TODAY as to whether or not I want to be in the class.

Thank you for any advice you can give me!
Large number of schools will ask when you are out of the country or unavailable for an interview on the secondary or prior to schedule your interview! I was out the country in December and worked out just fine! They know :)

Thank you all for your replies! I think I'm just going to go for it. I don't want to give up this amazing opportunity based on the slim chance that I might have an interview then.