need to know abt the universities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychologist

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I am frm india...dng masters in clinical psychology,applied for psy d course for fall sem...in california...got accepted from one of the university-the wright institute....does nybdy have an idea howz the institute?.howz the life of berkeley?howz the reputation of the psychologist there?what are the source of income?

thnks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi I am frm india...dng masters in clinical psychology,applied for psy d course for fall sem...in california...got accepted from one of the university-the wright institute....does nybdy have an idea howz the institute?.howz the life of berkeley?howz the reputation of the psychologist there?what are the source of income?

thnks

Congrats on getting in to the Wright Institute. I would think you researched these things a bit BEFORE applying/getting accepted, but in terms of general quality of life things: Berkeley is beautiful yet the cost of living is quite high. When I visited the W.I. I was struck by how small the facility was, but in reality, most programs are housed one or two buildings anyway. The program seems well-respected as free-standing Psy.D. programs go, but I don't have too much info about that. As for questions like program and faculty reputation, and actual info about income sources-- a lot of people have already commented on those things (you should try some searches of this forum). Good Luck!

what are the job oppurtunities after the psy d course

and also during the course...on campus off campus..and for the international students is it difficult to get SSN..or work permit

Members don't see this ad :)
i hate to do this, but: are you posting from a cell phone or do you just struggle with written english?

if the latter, i would wonder about a school that would accept someone with a limited command of the written language in which the courses are taught. especially an unfunded one.

Hey there,

It seems as though you've posted several times and have a lot of questions about PsyD programs (not necessarily considered a "PsyD course" because the courses are what you take...the program is the bigger "umbrella"), and specifically, your acceptance to a PsyD program that is unfunded (congratulations!).

Go to http://educationusa.state.gov/ It is the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Education and Cultural Affairs website. It will help you with a lot of your questions. Also, search the archives of Student Doctor Network...there is a wealth of perspectives already posted.

Although it may be exciting for the opportunity to come to the U.S. for a doctorate degree, you have to make a smart decision about finances and future possibilities. PsyDs are respected and sought as clinicians, educators and the like, but unfunded programs can present a significant problem if you do not already have all the necessary supports in place for sustaining life as a graduate student in the U.S. You may find yourself (at least) $100K U.S. in debt when you get out and be offered jobs where the starting salary is $85K U.S. and in turn, you will spend the next 20 years paying off this debt (these are approximations...search other sources for the specific amounts). Be careful to guide yourself with your intellect and not solely with emotion in this life-changing decision. There is no reason why you can't apply to funded programs next time around if you decide to defer your acceptance.

Good luck! :luck:

P.S. I echo PSYDR...at this point out, you may want to practice full sentences and limit shorthand texting...you want to put your best foot forward unless you're hanging out with your buddies. Texting is fun & saves time...don't get me wrong...LOL! :cool:

In order to obtain your I-20 and student visa, I believe you have to demonstrate that you have sufficient funds available to cover your tuition fees, living expenses, etc. (e.g., savings/student loans, stipend + tuition remission, or fellowship)
I'm not sure how it works for unfunded programs, but for funded programs you are able to obtain a SSN and work authorization for paid work related to your program of study (e.g., graduate research assistant, clinical placement, etc.), but you are *not* permitted to take additional employment outside the university.
Work authorization is generally difficult or impossible to obtain for work unrelated to your program of study unless you can demonstrate financial need (but since you needed to demonstrate adequate support to get your I-20 in the first place, this is difficult to do).
The international student office at your university will be able to give you the details.

Thanks for all your suggestions......but i am still so so so so confuse:(

Hi!

I'm not sure where your confusion is stemming from but am pretty sure you can get clarity by doing some research about doctoral programs in the States. There are loads of resources online and quite a number of books that are written specifically about doctoral psychology programs.

Without sounding condescending, I would like to add that I am also an international student from Asia and I took the time and effort to carefully research programs, financial implications, scholarships, visas, employment issues, etc. prior to applying to doctoral programs. The resources are out there and you just need to take the time to find them.

Good luck