Need to raise GPA but is it too late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rak173

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am going to be a senior this year fall and currently my gpa is only about 3.3. I am studying for the DATs which I will be taking in mid-july. I am confident about doing well in the DATs but I am worried about my gpa. I was wondering if the grades from the fall senior year can help raise my gpa to about 3.5ish.

Since I will be applying in July/August will the dental school consider my gpa after the senior fall year? Lets say if I get rejected on the basis of the 3.3 gpa that the dental school considered, will I reapply again with a higher gpa once I finish my fall semester of the senior year? Does the dental school never consider senior year grades at all? I will do my best in the DAT and the fall semester this year which should be good enough for any dental school but the problem is I don't have a good gpa right now at the end of the junior year.

Members don't see this ad.

What is your sGPA? And how many science credits have you taken?

Also, they can theoretically reject you before you do the academic update in December, after your fall grades have come in. They can also choose to put your application on hold for review after your academic update.

If they reject you before your academic update comes in, you would just have to apply again the following summer.

Your GPA isn't that bad. I'd like to know what your sGPA is, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is your sGPA? And how many science credits have you taken?

Also, they can theoretically reject you before you do the academic update in December, after your fall grades have come in. They can also choose to put your application on hold for review after your academic update.

If they reject you before your academic update comes in, you would just have to apply again the following summer.

Your GPA isn't that bad. I'd like to know what your sGPA is, though.

I haven't calculated the sGPA yet but I think its about 3.2. I have taken 68 credits so far not sure how many of them are for science but I still have to take about 18 science credit hours for the senior year to graduate with a bachelor's degree in science.

If I reapply the following summer, do I have to wait for the entire year again? Is it possible to apply very late so that they consider my fall grades too?

Thanks for the help.

I haven't calculated the sGPA yet but I think its about 3.2. I have taken 68 credits so far not sure how many of them are for science but I still have to take about 18 science credit hours for the senior year to graduate with a bachelor's degree in science.

If I reapply the following summer, do I have to wait for the entire year again? Is it possible to apply very late so that they consider my fall grades too?

Thanks for the help.

Your GPA and any increase is fine. You don't want to wait until after Fall to apply, that is too late. Ideally, June/July is when you want to submit your application and yes, the cycle is 1 year long beginning each June.

Your GPA and any increase is fine. You don't want to wait until after Fall to apply, that is too late. Ideally, June/July is when you want to submit your application and yes, the cycle is 1 year long beginning each June.

Thanks for replying. I forgot to mention, I have done 2 years of community college where my gpa was about 3.95. Do dental school consider gpa from community colleges at all?
I might take a summer bio class and try an get an A in it to raise my gpa little bit.

Thanks for replying. I forgot to mention, I have done 2 years of community college where my gpa was about 3.95. Do dental school consider gpa from community colleges at all?
I might take a summer bio class and try an get an A in it to raise my gpa little bit.

It will be considered but classes from your 4-year university will always "hold" more weight.