Apr 26, 2015
Submitted to bunch of schools...now decided to take a break.. Need to withdraw application from each school ... or tell amcas???

or just not respond secondaries ??

bunchesonothing

Non-Trad on a Mission
Nov 12, 2015
Midwest
Status
Pre-Medical
Submitted to bunch of schools...now decided to take a break.. Need to withdraw application from each school ... or tell amcas???

or just not respond secondaries ??
I don't have an answer for this, but a question. Why? If you reapply a different year, even if you withdrew this year, I believe you'll be considered a reapplicant to all of the schools you sent a primary to this year.

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
If you have already been verified, withdrawing has no effect. Just don't submit secondaries.
If you have just submitted, contact AMCAS with your request to withdraw.

Reactions: Goro
Aug 17, 2015
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
@gyngyn Do you think if OP is verified he/she should send emails to admissions committees telling them he/she decided to withdraw? Would that be courteous or does it not matter?

Also, is the same etiquette for AACOMAS schools too?

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
@gyngyn Do you think if OP is verified he/she should send emails to admissions committees telling them he/she decided to withdraw? Would that be courteous or does it not matter?

It is not necessary. We will never notice.

Aug 17, 2015
Status
@gyngyn thanks for the reply. Does being a re-app hurt you if you don't do something constructive during the gap year? For me, I will be retaking MCAT, taking 15 more credits of post-bacc, along with 1-2 more long term clinical and volunteer activities.

again, thanks for the reply!

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
@gyngyn thanks for the reply. Does being a re-app hurt you if you don't do something constructive during the gap year? For me, I will be retaking MCAT, taking 15 more credits of post-bacc, along with 1-2 more long term clinical and volunteer activities.

again, thanks for the reply!
The first application is always the best opportunity, but re-applications can still work.
It's no good fretting about it. Do everything you can to make the next ap the last one.

Feb 28, 2016
@gyngyn I have some similar questions. Is someone considered a reapplicant if they haven't applied to that school? I'm assuming some schools/most ask if you've applied to med school before?

What if someone sends in there primary app but doesn't send in their committee letter. They are technically verified but not fully complete.

Also is this the same for DO schools?

These are just general questions. I haven't applied yet.

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
@gyngyn I have some similar questions. Is someone considered a reapplicant if they haven't applied to that school? I'm assuming some schools/most ask if you've applied to med school before?

What if someone sends in there primary app but doesn't send in their committee letter. They are technically verified but not fully complete.

Also is this the same for DO schools?

These are just general questions. I haven't applied yet.
If your AMCAS or AACOMAS application has been transmitted to the medical schools, you will be considered to have applied to those school regardless of what other parts of the application have been received.

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student

It is not necessary. We will never notice.
I actually think it is a good idea to formally withdraw with a letter to the adcom.

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
The Other Side of the Portal
I actually think it is a good idea to formally withdraw with a letter to the adcom.
I agree. It isn't required, and adcomms won't care, but it helps avoid a stream of annoying emails "reminding" one that their file is not yet complete. Some schools send a lot of these (like, monthly); others maybe not so much. But one's politeness in sending a withdrawal email potentially saves the office staff some work.

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
The Other Side of the Portal
It will hurt a reapplicant if they haven't made improvements since last applying. I'd say that your improvements look fine.

Feb 28, 2016
If your AMCAS or AACOMAS application has been transmitted to the medical schools, you will be considered to have applied to those school regardless of what other parts of the application have been received.
Got it. Let's say you apply to a few different schools the next time around. Do those schools consider you a reapplicant? Isn't there a place in the primary to select if you're a reapplicant and don't some secondaries ask this?

Aug 17, 2015
Status
@gonnif So just google the admissions committee email and send them something like:

To whom it may concern,

I am writing to inform the admissions committee that I will be withdrawing my application for X College of Medicine. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Best Regards,
Jeep1010
AACOMAS ID: 1232323232

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
@gonnif So just google the admissions committee email and send them something like:

To whom it may concern,

I am writing to inform the admissions committee that I will be withdrawing my application for X College of Medicine. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Best Regards,
Jeep1010
AACOMAS ID: 1232323232
That's fine

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
Got it. Let's say you apply to a few different schools the next time around. Do those schools consider you a reapplicant? Isn't there a place in the primary to select if you're a reapplicant and don't some secondaries ask this?
1) Either AMCAS or AACOMAS will automatically tag your application as a reapplicant only to the schools you have actually had a AMCAS or AACOMAS application submitted to before.
2) some schools may ask on secondaries if you have applied to any school before
3) for both ethical reasons and legal implications, if the question asks have you applied to medical school before, it would include MD and DO

Mad Jack

Critically Caring
5+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2013
4th Dimension
You're a reapplicant now, be mindful of that.

I would do as others said and withdraw your app formally. Saves everyone time and is considerate.