Need to withdraw application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

babyelephant

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Submitted to bunch of schools...now decided to take a break.. Need to withdraw application from each school ... or tell amcas???

or just not respond secondaries ??

Members don't see this ad.

Submitted to bunch of schools...now decided to take a break.. Need to withdraw application from each school ... or tell amcas???

or just not respond secondaries ??

I don't have an answer for this, but a question. Why? If you reapply a different year, even if you withdrew this year, I believe you'll be considered a reapplicant to all of the schools you sent a primary to this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
@gyngyn Do you think if OP is verified he/she should send emails to admissions committees telling them he/she decided to withdraw? Would that be courteous or does it not matter?

Also, is the same etiquette for AACOMAS schools too?

@gyngyn Do you think if OP is verified he/she should send emails to admissions committees telling them he/she decided to withdraw? Would that be courteous or does it not matter?

Also, is the same etiquette for AACOMAS schools too?
It is not necessary. We will never notice.

@gyngyn thanks for the reply. Does being a re-app hurt you if you don't do something constructive during the gap year? For me, I will be retaking MCAT, taking 15 more credits of post-bacc, along with 1-2 more long term clinical and volunteer activities.

again, thanks for the reply!

@gyngyn thanks for the reply. Does being a re-app hurt you if you don't do something constructive during the gap year? For me, I will be retaking MCAT, taking 15 more credits of post-bacc, along with 1-2 more long term clinical and volunteer activities.

again, thanks for the reply!
The first application is always the best opportunity, but re-applications can still work.
It's no good fretting about it. Do everything you can to make the next ap the last one.

Reactions: 1 users
@gyngyn I have some similar questions. Is someone considered a reapplicant if they haven't applied to that school? I'm assuming some schools/most ask if you've applied to med school before?

What if someone sends in there primary app but doesn't send in their committee letter. They are technically verified but not fully complete.

Also is this the same for DO schools?

These are just general questions. I haven't applied yet.

I actually think it is a good idea to formally withdraw with a letter to the adcom.
I agree. It isn't required, and adcomms won't care, but it helps avoid a stream of annoying emails "reminding" one that their file is not yet complete. Some schools send a lot of these (like, monthly); others maybe not so much. But one's politeness in sending a withdrawal email potentially saves the office staff some work.

It will hurt a reapplicant if they haven't made improvements since last applying. I'd say that your improvements look fine.

If your AMCAS or AACOMAS application has been transmitted to the medical schools, you will be considered to have applied to those school regardless of what other parts of the application have been received.

Got it. Let's say you apply to a few different schools the next time around. Do those schools consider you a reapplicant? Isn't there a place in the primary to select if you're a reapplicant and don't some secondaries ask this?

@gonnif So just google the admissions committee email and send them something like:

To whom it may concern,

I am writing to inform the admissions committee that I will be withdrawing my application for X College of Medicine. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Best Regards,
Jeep1010
AACOMAS ID: 1232323232

You're a reapplicant now, be mindful of that.

I would do as others said and withdraw your app formally. Saves everyone time and is considerate.