Need your help guys: sGPA: 3.7 cGPA 3.55 MCAT 31

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gobigorgohome22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking for input for both MD and DO schools. Applying this cycle!

State: Georgia
Major: Engineering
sGPA: 3.71 (3.55 for DO since they count engineering as science)
cGPA: 3.55
MCAT: 10/11/10 (31)

Activities:

1. Publications
- Two first author publications

2. Conference presentations
- 1 international conference, 1 national and 1 local
- Abstracts published for each

3. Shadowing
- Total 300 hrs
- pediatrics, Internal Medicine, Cardiology, Dermatology, Emergency medicine, Orthopedics

4. Clinical volunteering
- Total 415 hrs
- 4 different hospitals (Pain clinic, pediatric oncology unit, ER, Neurology and ICU)

5. Nonclinical volunteering
- Total 650 Hours
- 400 hrs through United Way (member since 2007)

6. Honors/Awards
- $13,000 merit based scholarship (5 per state)
- Full tuition scholarship (state sponsored scholarship; very common)
- $500 Engineering research scholarship (mainly for publication cost for a journal article)
- $600 conference travel scholarship
- $1000 another conference travel scholarship
- Dean's list (x4)

7. Research (most meaningful)
- Same lab since 1st semester of freshmen year (infectious disease lab)
- Vaccine development project
- 2 first author pubs

8. Pediatric Oncology Unit (most meaningful)

9. United way (most meaningful)
- 400 hrs

10. Leadership
- President of a club
- Youth leader for United Way
- Undergraduate coordinator for Lab

11. EC
- Intramural soccer and basketball

12. Work
- Engineering Internship
- KUMON (tutoring company for k-12)
- Lab tech in my lab

My tentative school list is as follows:
I really need help narrowing this down to ~25 MD and ~5 DO

MD:
Albany Medical College
Cooper Medical School
Creighton U School of M
Drexel U C of M
Eastern Virginia MS
Emory
George Washington
Georgetown
Jefferson Medical College
MC Georgia
Medical U SC
Mercer
New York Medical College
Oakland U
Rush
The Commonwealth
The U of Toledo
Tulane
U of Central Florida
U of Kentucky
U of Louisville
U of Miami
U of S. Florida
U of SC - Greenville
Virginia Commonwealth
West Virginia U S of M

DO
Lincoln Memorial University - DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine, TN
Georgia Campus - Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, GA
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine - Bradenton Campus, FL
Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine, FL
University of North Texas at Fort Worth- TCOM
-> Dont know if I should add any more here.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Packet and numbers looks really good. MCAT a tad low, but my suggest school are below. Delete the ones in red. Keep in mind that OOS public schools favor the home team, and so your stats need to be higher for them especially ones further away from you.

For DO programs, you're a lock at any of them, so pick the top five that you think will be a good fit for you and/or are closer to home. PCOM-GA obviously should be on the list.

I really need help narrowing this down to ~25 MD and ~5 DO

MD:
MC Georgia
Mayo medical school
U of Wisconsin
Mercer
M C of Wisconsin
Virginia Commonwealth
Emory
U of Louisville
Marshall U
Rush
Wright State U
Rosalind Franklin
U of S. Alabama
New York Medical College
Drexel U C of M
Jefferson Medical College
Georgetown
The Commonwealth
Creighton U School of M
George wahington
West Virginia U S of M
Albany Medical College
Tulane
U of Central Florida
Temple U
U of S. Florida
Eastern Virginia MS
U of Missouri-Kansas City
Medical U SC
U of SC - Greenville

DO
GA-pcom
ACOM
VCOM-cc
WCU-com
LECOM-bradenton
NSU-com
PCOM
LMU-DCOM
WVSOM
LECOM
UP-KYCOM
OU-HCOM
MSUCOM
CUSOM
ATSU-KCOM[/QUOTE]

Packet and numbers looks really good. MCAT a tad low, but my suggest school are below. Delete the ones in red. Keep in mind that OOS public schools favor the home team, and so your stats need to be higher for them especially ones further away from you.

For DO programs, you're a lock at any of them, so pick the top five that you think will be a good fit for you and/or are closer to home. PCOM-GA obviously should be on the list.

Thank you for the help Goro. I really appreciate your input.

For DO schools, are there any that focus a little more on research (an in doing research while in medical school)?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to keep bumping this thread. I have updated MD school list a bit and would like some advise.

Two first author publications? Extremely impressive. You will do very well this cycle. As Goro has already pointed out, be careful with some of those out of state public schools that favor instate kids. Some of those will be a waste to apply to. Is DO something that you really want to do? If you are set on MD, then you may not need to apply to any.

Two first author publications? Extremely impressive. You will do very well this cycle. As Goro has already pointed out, be careful with some of those out of state public schools that favor instate kids. Some of those will be a waste to apply to. Is DO something that you really want to do? If you are set on MD, then you may not need to apply to any.

Thank you for your input. I really appreciate it. Do you think you could point out some of the state public schools that favor instate kids from my list? I used MSAR to pick out schools with >25% OS acceptance rates. Which do you think I school look into more in dept?

Unfortunately, I am not as confident as you are with my application. That's why I am planning on applying to about 3-5 DO schools. I don't want to go through this horrendous process more than once.

Thank you for your input. I really appreciate it. Do you think you could point out some of the state public schools that favor instate kids from my list? I used MSAR to pick out schools with >25% OS acceptance rates. Which do you think I school look into more in dept?

Unfortunately, I am not as confident as you are with my application. That's why I am planning on applying to about 3-5 DO schools. I don't want to go through this horrendous process more than once.

I would start by taking off marshall, kentucky and arkansas. Just because schools on the MSAR state that they take a certain percentage of OOS people, it is very likely that these people had "significant ties" to the state. They may have had relatives living there or something like that.

I would start by taking off marshall, kentucky and arkansas. Just because schools on the MSAR state that they take a certain percentage of OOS people, it is very likely that these people had "significant ties" to the state. They may have had relatives living there or something like that.

I have updated my MD & DO list. What do you think?

I have updated my MD & DO list. What do you think?

I know nothing about DO schools so I can't help you much there. Your MD list looks good. I think you are making a good decision by applying very broadly. I am sure you will get plenty of interviews. Good luck!

Where didya get in? How come no one ever asks that?

Reactions: 1 user