Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
We should try and get this stickied in this forum, and add some FAQs etc. I think it becomes a bit redundant reiterating the same take home points repeatedly, and posts such as the above would save us all alot of time. Kudos.A lot of people are posting answers to "How hard is it to get a residency if you're an IMG" question. Which it is harder to get one. If you are the #1 or #2 person in your class you have 245+ on both steps and you have some research and you are not a choad you have a 50/50 shot at derm/plastics/ortho/neurosurg and are a lock for mid-level competitive residencies. If you beat the mean on both steps, have decent grades, good LORs, interview well and apply to >30 programs and interview at 10 you will probably get surg/EM/gas are are a lock for all but the top tier FM/IM/Peds/psych programs. If you barely pass everything and you cast a wide net (ie apply to a lot of programs) you will probably get FM/IM/peds/psych somewhere, if you interview enough.
However, the OP wanted to know assuming you already had a residency. So, to the OP: Once you're a resident nobody cares where you went to medical school. Period. I matched EM and I tell people that I went to AUC and 99.999% of them --Faculty, staff, residents, med-students, nurses, techs, environmental srvcs, IT, HR etc...-- all say, "Awesome! How was the Caribbean?" I say, "Pretty cool, but I knew I wanted EM so I had to work a little harder than the average guy, but all in all I would do it again." Then they ask me, "Why did you go there?" I say, "It's really hard to get into medical school in the States, they screen candidates really hard to weed out potential bad apples. Caribbean medical schools have lower entry standards and rely on attrition to weed people out." "Oh." Then our conversation moves on to the topic at hand.
It's been said before, but once you graduate medical school people care about your medical school about as much as when you're in college people care about your high school.
My name badge says, "MD". My license says, "MD". I introduce myself as a doctor. Once you're in a residency, no one cares about where you went to medical school. They care about what kind of doctor you are, how professional you are, how much you study, how efficient you are, what % of conference you attend, your satisfaction rating, how well you perform on in-service exams, your evaluations, whether you have signed all your charts and orders. Where you went to school is nothing more than a mere curiosity.
If there are any PD's or headhunters on here that want to correct me, please feel free.