Negotiating AF HPSP contract?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Asia

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I've been recently awarded the AF HPSP and after a lot of thought decided to go for it.

I am a few weeks from being sworn in and signing a contract and that's where my question comes in. I read the contract and it seems pretty standard to me but I keep hearing rumours that you can have additional stuff added to your contract. It will probably sound naive and uninformed, but.... like what? If there are perks I could get, I'd like to be aware of them. But until you're aware, you can't really ask for them, can you. Or maybe they're things I don't care about so no asking necessary.

I realize that many of you will be tempted to tell me that I didn't do my research, that the HPSP sucks, and not to do it. I respect your opinions, but please don't bother. I know it's not the dream option but in my particular situation, it'll hopefully work. I've already decided to do it, I just want to make sure I won't get screwed more than necessary :laugh: And I did as much research as I could and put in about 6 months of going back and forth before deciding to do it.

So, what is negotiable in a HPSP contract?

I really appreciate your input.

Cheers.

Members don't see this ad.

honestly, most things can be negotiated into a contract with the military. However, since you've already been offered a contract, that means that your packet already went thru the board and its a little late to be changing things. Plus, just for the fact you were awarded the HPSP makes you 1 of very very few. Congrats on it! I would sign it as is and be done with it.

They can't make any changes to your contract after you are sworn in and it is signed. Since you are taking a scholarship, there is little room for negotiations. When I joined, I negotiated a sign on bonus, SLRP and a GI Bill increase, the specialty that I picked was very short staffed, but I did not take a scholarship. Just make sure to start a file cabinet for just military documents. Trust me you will be glad you did. :thumbup:

Hey, thanks to the both of you. I guess I'll go shopping for that file cabinet this weekend :) and then calmly wait for to be sworn in...

soon-to-be Lt. Asia :)