Nernst Equation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wowyourecool

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
ok i think i figured it out. When Chad says a shift to right that means that more reactants were added to the reaction (therefore a shift to a right). So our Q value being product/reactant will actually go down because reactants goes up. So a shift to the right would mean a decrease in the Q value as well as an increase in the Ecell. So no contradiction.

Destroyer is correct. When the amount of products increases, Q decreases. Chad just worded it differently. Lol, kind of made it more confusing.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Destroyer is correct. When the amount of products increases, Q decreases. Chad just worded it differently. Lol, kind of made it more confusing.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

or another way to say it is when the amount of products increases DUE to the fact that we are adding more reactants, the Q decreases. So you are analyzing what is happening before not after. So by adding more reactants you are shifting to the right to get a smaller Q value. As a result, In order to shift back to equilibrium, more products will form.

Hmmm...wouldn't an increase in products shift right and then increase the reactants? How does the Nernst equation take into account equilbrium? Or does it only refer to what is added?