Nervous about interviews as a non-native English speaker

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
I have my first two interviews next week and I am feeling nervous. I started learning English roughly 10 years ago. While most people in my life say my speech is as good as native speakers, I believe my ability to be articulate under pressure is not as great as those who grew up speaking the language. I am worried that when I get stumped during the interview, I would be unable to compose myself because speaking English fluently while thinking on my foot is not as easy for me. I have been living with my family during quarantine and I speak my native language most of the day, which doesn't help.
Any advice to getting better at this, and any fellow non-native speakers interviewing out there?

Members don't see this ad.

English is my second language as well and what I found to help me before interviewing was practicing. I think practicing with an aquantiance , rather than someone close (friend, family) , is better as you won't be as comfortable with them, thus mimicking an actual interview better.

Reactions: 1 user
Relax. You've got this. Most people are much harder on themselves than the people listening to them, and insecurities can really hamper you if you are questioning your abilities while you are trying to speak. Take the time you need to formulate an answer, answer with confidence to the best of your abilities, and trust that you have what it takes. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
I am also an ESL applicant and I feel the same. I am especially worried about MMI-format interviews. I personally think English as a second language is not an excuse because to be a successful medical student or physician requires effective communication skills, and there are lots of ESL applicants that are excellent Engish speakers.
I think what you can do is to practice and know your applications well. Also, most interviews are actually are low-stress and conversational, so I am sure you will do well.

Reactions: 1 users