Nervous

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kutastha

2K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
All right, I'm nervous. This is uncharted territory for me. Tomorrow I leave bright and early (right now I'm more nervous about flying than what comes next - thank God for bloody marys) to Vermont for my first interview in 6 years of trying. From this board I only have partial ideas of what to expect from these med school interviews. I went on several for grad school, but this seems much more weighty. Any advice? Any thoughts? Anything?

Andrew

Members don't see this ad.

Just relax and BE YOURSELF. You've probably heard that lots of times, but it really is the best advice I can give. Know yourself and be prepared for the usual questions. See www.interviewfeedback.com if you havent already. Good luck.

I agree with Jargon124's advice, and also...something that seemed to really work for me is that when I got interviews I sort of had an attitute of "why would schools want me when there are five trillion applicants?" and I realized that about myself and before going into an interview just told myself..."why WOULDN'T schools want me?! of course they will!" Bizarrely enough, that gave me the boost of self-confidence I needed.

And about airplane trips, hope yours go well! If you bring a good book with you on the plane, that might help...
GOOD LUCK! :) :) :) :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck on your interview!

Burlington is a beautiful city. I went to school at Middlebury College (about 30 miles south), and Vermont is a really nice place to live. I just got the secondary from UVM, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed about going back. :)

just remember not to fart when you get nervous! that noise is such a no no in an interview..... :rolleyes: :D

Good Luck!!
I, too, checked out www.interviewfeedback.com, and was not sure how relevant the reviews in there would be....so far, right on! I have to go with the group here and tell you to be yourself. I ended up talking to my interviewers about things that really were personal and unique to me, such as yoga, or the bioethics forum that I helped start on campus, and why those things are important to me. I think they helped the interviewers see me as an individual, rather than just an app. I realize that not all interviewers will be inclined to such discussion, but I think when they ask, "Why you," it can be as simple as those types of things.
Let us know how it goes...I am certain you will be fine!

Shannon

On the plane or before I would start making a list of all the reasons that you are a good candidate and the reasons why this school is particularly suited to help you achieve the dream of being a doctor. Think of five to seven words that describe you and try to get them into your answers. Don't try to make canned answers, just a couple of words you want them to remember. Reread your primary and secondary app and make sure that you stay with that overall theme, now is not the time to go off track. Most of all be lighthearted and friendly. I have sat on many hiring committees for my college and have had to interview many applicants. We know your nervous and were nervous for you to. We genuinely want to like you, make it easy for us. Now is the time to compose yourself Andrew. You are a great applicant and a great person. Make sure when you leave that room that they know that.
Best Wishes :cool: :D

good luck kutasthaa.. u will be FINE :)... and dont even worry about the plane ride.. security is tight and there isnt a better time to travel.. or atleast thats what u should think :) :).. good luck and take care..

crazy but humorous analogy:
pretend you are off to meet the in-laws and the extended family!

You are there to impress them, but above all else, they want to know what type of person you really are. Of course don't be too friendly to any of the female cousins (fellow interviewees) and dont worry if you run into a couple frigid uncles or the dad himself (conservative MD's and the dean). But of course make sure to get on mom's good side because she will not put up with rudeness of any sort (the admissions office secretary).
;)

Just pretend that you're really rich and famous and you're being interviewed by Oprah for your outstanding contributions to society. ;)

Andrew,

Just be yourself. Sell yourself. Give them no reason to reject you. Most importantly, PLEASE don't be cheesy by being "goody goody." :(

I hope your interview goes well! Good luck!
:)