Netter's vs Moore's Anatomy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

D30417995

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which one would you prefer?

Members don't see this ad.

Netters is more of an atlas and Moore is a textbook. Netter for lab, moore for home.

That's comparing apples with oranges. Yes, they're both "anatomy" books, but as said above one is an atlas, the other is a textbook that explains functions, clinical correlates, etc.

IMHO, you need both. Not necessarily Moore, but Netter and a textbook that you find user-friendly. Use them in conjunction with each other to develop a solid understanding of anatomy.

Members don't see this ad :)
ExtraCrispy said:
That's comparing apples with oranges. Yes, they're both "anatomy" books, but as said above one is an atlas, the other is a textbook that explains functions, clinical correlates, etc.

IMHO, you need both. Not necessarily Moore, but Netter and a textbook that you find user-friendly. Use them in conjunction with each other to develop a solid understanding of anatomy.
Exactly. The only thing I'd add is that Rohen's is awesome for lab also because its an atlas that uses real pictures of dissected cadavers and not drawings.

Arsenic810 said:
Exactly. The only thing I'd add is that Rohen's is awesome for lab also because its an atlas that uses real pictures of dissected cadavers and not drawings.

Agree as well. The blue boxes in Moore were key for our written anatomy exams. I don't think I ever read any of the text other than that in the blue boxes.

I rarely used my Rohen, because I didn't have too much trouble translating from the awesome drawings in Netter to the hacked up cadaver in front of me. Some people swear by it, though.

Andy15430 said:
Agree as well. The blue boxes in Moore were key for our written anatomy exams. I don't think I ever read any of the text other than that in the blue boxes.

I rarely used my Rohen, because I didn't have too much trouble translating from the awesome drawings in Netter to the hacked up cadaver in front of me. Some people swear by it, though.

I couldn't have gotten through first semester without all three: Moore, Rohen and Netter. It was my first time taking anatomy and was hard for me, but having all these resources to look at really helped!

D30417995 said:
Neither - Grant's Atlas is the one to get! I had Netter's, Moore, and Rohen...but went to the library every day to use Grant's. It's more simplified than Netter's but still thorough. For the best set, I'd get the Netter's CD and the Grant's atlas. Many of my fellow classmates, I'm positive, would agree.

Thanks for all your input! :)

meads said:
Neither - Grant's Atlas is the one to get! I had Netter's, Moore, and Rohen...but went to the library every day to use Grant's. It's more simplified than Netter's but still thorough. For the best set, I'd get the Netter's CD and the Grant's atlas. Many of my fellow classmates, I'm positive, would agree.

Does the Netter's CD contain all the diagrams in the atlas?

I found this to be the most useful. I started anatomy with netter, but ended up constantly checking grant's atlas out of the library near the end of the course. Grant is especially useful when you get to the head and neck, as it's emphasis on each cranial nerve is outstanding. While it's no substitute for a full text, the atlas is also nice because it has a short explanation below each plate. I also just liked the graphics better. Regardless of which one you choose, I recommend periodically looking at the other in the library. Each artist often has different perspectives on the same topic.

D30417995 said:
Thanks for all your input! :)

Does the Netter's CD contain all the diagrams in the atlas?

Yes it does. Plus it has a search function which helps to locate structures (especially if you use the list function) and you can 'quiz' yourself and whatnot.

Netter is a must-have. Moore is the most worthless, god-awful, counfounding textbook I've EVER wasted money on.

How's that for a definitive, decisive opinion?

getunconcsious said:
Netter is a must-have. Moore is the most worthless, god-awful, counfounding textbook I've EVER wasted money on.

How's that for a definitive, decisive opinion?
I have to disagree with getunconcious--the clinical correlates in Moore-Dailey (i.e., the "blue pages") are worth their weight in gold for preparing you for the types of questions they ask on shelf exams and boards.
Personally, I would get a Netter or Clemente to learn the structures and also get a Moore-Dailey or Grant's for clinical appications. IMO.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had Netter's and our anatomy tables had copies of Grant's. And our computer labs had Grant's/Moore's/whatever that embryo book is/some other stuff on the computers. I had Netter's CD too. And Rohen's. So I was kind of spoiled.

If I had to pick one and only one atlas, I'd probably go with Grant's. If I had to go with one computer version of an atlas I'd go with Netter's - it's easier to navigate. I didn't really ever need to use Rohen's but I can see how it could've been useful. Flashcard-wise everyone seemed to like Netter's. I never use flashcards so I don't know about those.

But if you can get access to both (like from a friend or something) it's much better that way. Some stuff is better in Netter's and some is better in Grant's. Neither atlas is good for everything, I clearly remember being in lab wishing I had a copy of Netter's for a specific slide to help me find something and I also clearly remember being in the computer lab and feeling relieved that our computers had Grant's on them.

As far as Moore's, I thought it was useful every once in a while for the blue boxes. I wouldn't recommend buying it, just look at someone else's or use the library's copy.

Arsenic810 said:
but in all honesty, i found things a lot easier to find in the netters book. we had both at our table, but i ended up using the netters more often. because it should be there theoretically....

i liked big moore a lot. but, it's WAAAAAAY too long to read cover to cover. so you have to be choosy. i have a copy of baby moore (it's an old edition, got it used), which is ok, and i read it for the basics, and then as soon as i get confused, i turn over to big moore for clarification (got that one used as well, so as not to break the bank). it's written much better than the little guy, which is sometimes so abridged that it almost doesn't make sense anymore.
as far as atlases go: netter, rohen, grant. use 'em all. (though, the pictures in big moore are similar to the grant illustrations.) we have grant at our lab table, so i use it there. netter is a solid reference (you'll know when you run into one of the rare mistakes - probably someone will point it out to you if you haven't already figured it out). rohen is good as preparation for the practical exam - it will show you stuff that you might not recognize without a really good dissection... major duodenal papilla, prostatic utricle, layers of the spinal cord... stuff like that.

bottom line, anatomy is complex, use a lot of books because each one has its particular strengths. to save cash, split books with your lab partner, buy them used online, or from other students, and re-sell to next year's incoming class!! (also, if you join AMSA and apply for the credit card, you get a FREE netter. what a deal.)

The old edition of baby moore is nowhere near as good as the current edition. If you buy baby Moore - buy the newest edition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The library is your friend

Borrow a copy of Sobotta and don't tell anyone so you can keep renewing it until your class is over. Many med students don't know about it so it's unlikely to get recalled, and it is (in my opinion) better than Grant, Netter, Rohen (although a photo atlas is sometimes very useful), and Clemente (which uses Sobotta images). It's even at least as clear and detailed as the "forbidden" Pernkopf atlas.

While you're there check out a Big or Baby Moore as well

lord_jeebus said:
The library is your friend

Borrow a copy of Sobotta and don't tell anyone so you can keep renewing it until your class is over. Many med students don't know about it so it's unlikely to get recalled, and it is (in my opinion) better than Grant, Netter, Rohen (although a photo atlas is sometimes very useful), and Clemente (which uses Sobotta images). It's even at least as clear and detailed as the "forbidden" Pernkopf atlas.

I did some searching and was surprised to see that my library has three copies of Pernkopf. People are selling it online for $600.

heh heh...some things are always the same.

We have all 3 in australian med schools.

The verdict?

Moore's is anatomy TEXT, and has those nifty clinical blue boxes. But its
pictures are absolute crapola.

Netter's is a good atlas because you can clearly see stuff. but no explanation. (not that it was meant for it)

Rohen's is what will get you through the lab exam, cos its got photos. But the text is not crash hot.

Bottom line is you need all three. But if you can only afford one, I say get Moore's. However, many of us are now opting for the Gray's Anatomy student edition now. Because its a text with better pictures.

Hope this helps.

P.S. Don't think it makes any differences that I'm in AUs, because anatomy is anatomy is anatomy. No matter where you are, we're all pink on the inside!

deuist said:
I did some searching and was surprised to see that my library has three copies of Pernkopf. People are selling it online for $600.

Most libraries do because the controversy is quite recent.

I wonder if it was that expensive before.

lord_jeebus said:
Most libraries do because the controversy is quite recent.

I wonder if it was that expensive before.
What exactly is the controversy about? I heard something about Nazis but no details...

So, topic. Moore-Dalley came out with a new edition (5th) this year with more blue boxes and other goodies that's much better than the 4th. (Incidentally, our class totally got screwed with all the new editions: M-D, Netter, Junqueira and I think Ross's atlas for histo, plus the random social medicine reader we use. Conspiracy? My checkbook thinks so.)

The bottom line is that anatomy is not a class you can or should skimp on. IMO you should get anything and everything you think you need to succeed. It's difficult, it's a ton of information, and it's something almost no one has taken in undergrad. I found both Netter's and Rohen indispensible. Gray's was not very useful for me, in retrospect I would have skipped it and studied exclusively by going over my course notes with Netter's in front of me, and making my own tables and diagrams. I don't know anything about Moore. I also got a lot of mileage out of the Anatomy Coloring Book (don't laugh, it's awesome). You can also buy sets of flashcards (Netter's does them, so does Gray's) that some people found very helpful.

You can save money by going with previous editions. Usually nothing much is different (except perhaps with this new Moore, I don't know). I've never had a professor refer to specific pagination or content that's made me regret not buying the new edition; if anything, it's happened in reverse, where the professor refers to content in the previous edition (which they own!) that differs in the new one.

D30417995 said:

ATLASES: Netter (drawings) + Rohen (photos)

BOOKS: Moore & Dalley (text) + Chung BRS (board review w/ q's)

Don't waste your money on Gray's or Grant's, or anything else for that matter.