Netters vs Rohen to learn anatomy for the first time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NearnstPotentia

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My thinking:

I don't want to learn it in netters because it looks REALLY different on a cadaver. Rohen is too perfect for real life but is better than netters in my opinion.

What do you think? My class uses the Netters but I want to drop it and just use Rohen.

I discussed this with my anatomy professor and he said that it is more efficient/easier to learn the ideal model in netters and then correlate when faced by a cadaver. He also said that one more easily builds a mental framework for anatomy when it is learned in a very obvious way as is the case in netter.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, try it - use Rohen's and see if your performance/recognition improves.

Personally, I would use Thieme's (like Netters, but I like the drawings better) first to get a illustrated view of the structures, and use Rohen's to see a more real-life example. Rohen's is good to test yourself from since the labels are clustered at the bottom of the picture.

Well, try it - use Rohen's and see if your performance/recognition improves.

Personally, I would use Thieme's (like Netters, but I like the drawings better) first to get a illustrated view of the structures, and use Rohen's to see a more real-life example. Rohen's is good to test yourself from since the labels are clustered at the bottom of the picture.

I have the thieme too but I don't like how they break everything into smaller parts. I like seeing the big picture in a sea of details. Also the naming in netters matches what is used at my school EXACTLY

Members don't see this ad :)
Thieme for conceptual understanding; Rohen for wet practicals.

Rohen does look better than the wet practicals will be, but they are more than sufficient in my experience.

both

why would you drop Netter? It has great relationship drawings. Honestly, if I had to chose just one then I would take Netter. BUT obviously you would be much better off with both.

Why not just use both? It's like $100 for the pair, and they work well together.

We're all pressed for time man. There's time for both, especially when there is a synergistic effect with resources (as there is in this case).

I agree with both. Netter's helps conceptualize things, and Rohen's helps identify.

We were responsible for all bold terms in Hansen's Anatomy Dissector. I would look at all of the structures that I needed to learn and first learn them really well in Netters.

I would draw/simplify many structures from Netters.

When I had it down cold in Netters, then a few days prior to exam I would go over all of the structures in Rohen's. That really solidified my knowledge and I almost never spent any extra time in the lab. I really hated to spend any more time then necessary in there.

That really solidified my knowledge and I almost never spent any extra time in the lab. I really hated to spend any more time then necessary in there.

Me too, but Rohens looks SOOO nice compared to lab there's no comparison. However, we don't have prosection; we dissect ourselves and... Well, most cadavers don't end up looking like Rohens...

I agree with your professor. I find it easier to map out everything in my head using Netters.

I bought both a Grants(I actually like it more than Netters) and a Rohens. I haven't used Rohens once this block (thorax, abdomen, lower limbs). Used it sometimes during last block (Back, arms). I actually stopped using Rohens because it isn't detailed enough for me. I wish there were more views.

I used both. I used Netter for studying at home. Pictures on our written exam came from Netter. I used Rohan when dissecting and when practicing for the practical exam since the photos are closer to my dissections than Netter. I would cover the labels in Rohen and name the structures.