Neurologists doing procedures

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorp82

Palpating preschoolers
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Besides spinal taps and EEGs and EMGs and NCS's, any hope for neurologists to do percutaneous cath-related procedures in the future? I've heard people try to rumor neurology going the way of cardiology and taking some of the procedures from cardiothoracic surgery.

Members don't see this ad.

Its called interventional neurology.. aka endovascular surgical neuroradiology.

As a neurologist you are talking about 3 years post residency training in Vascular neurology (or perhaps neuro Critical care) and 2 years of imaging and intervention.

It's not a rumor -- it's already happening. Many major Neuro IR programs take Neurologists, sometimes even preferentially. And, yes. Neuro IR, Interventional Neuro, and Endovascular Neurosurg are all the same thing.

As a neurologist you are talking about 3 years post residency training in Vascular neurology (or perhaps neuro Critical care) and 2 years of imaging and intervention.

Just to clarify:
3 years total post residency (1 year vascular neurology aka stroke, then 2 years imaging and interventional)
or 4 years total post residency (2 years neuroICU, then 2 years imaging & intervention)

I'm thinking of going down either route because I like stroke stuff so much, but we'll see after I do an elective +soul searching;)