Neuromodulation Offers Hope for Patients with Long-COVID

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drusso

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
Reaction score

"Because COVID-19 is ubiquitous and will become endemic, PASC is especially troublesome in regard to cumulative disease burden. While vaccines and drugs are US Food and Drug Administration (FDA)-approved to moderate short-term symptoms, protection against PASC is unclear. The success of neuromodulation for PASC will depend on identifying device- and symptom-specific mechanisms. Given the unknowns about PASC itself, one method for doing this is to measure biomarkers of disease progression and response to treatment. Ultimately, home-based neuromodulation should be integrated with wearable health monitors and telemedicine, thereby supporting fully remote comprehensive treatment protocols."

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
When I read the title I had to roll my eyes as I thought people were going to be trying to place DCS for long-covid...which I wouldn't put past some of the interventionalist out there...instead it looks like they are looking at TMS and vagus nerve stimulators in this article. Those seem a little more plausible but still not super excited about these treatments for this condition...

neuromodulation can treat all things.

the hand of the buddha can do no more

until reimbursement drops. then it's interspinous spacers and SIJ fusion.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
monkeypox waiting for it's turn :soexcited:

Reactions: 1 user

"Because COVID-19 is ubiquitous and will become endemic, PASC is especially troublesome in regard to cumulative disease burden. While vaccines and drugs are US Food and Drug Administration (FDA)-approved to moderate short-term symptoms, protection against PASC is unclear. The success of neuromodulation for PASC will depend on identifying device- and symptom-specific mechanisms. Given the unknowns about PASC itself, one method for doing this is to measure biomarkers of disease progression and response to treatment. Ultimately, home-based neuromodulation should be integrated with wearable health monitors and telemedicine, thereby supporting fully remote comprehensive treatment protocols."
I have to say, this is infuriating to me.