Neurophysiology: helpful ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AT03

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Our school offers a course in neurophysiology and I was wondering if I should take it. Here's the description of the course

" Neurophysiology. Organization and function of the nervous system will be explored. Topics include mechanisms of communication between neurons, integration of sensory and motor systems, and functional brain systems. Diseased states will be introduced, as appropriate. "

Do you guys think would that be helful in the dental school ? And if yes, in scale 1 to 10 how helpful what that be ?

Members don't see this ad.

Probaby depends on the school.

Here at Arizona we had an intensive Neuroanatomy module which discussed all of those items that you mentioned.

While the module wasn't especially difficult, a class such as that would have made it fairly easy.

Mostly it was learning the anatomy of the structures, and then the 1,2, and 3 order sensory neurons associated with structures, as well as the ascending and descending tracts, etc. It was 6 credit hours here at Arizona, and taught by two med. school professors from UNC.

Members don't see this ad :)
well.. take Head and Neck Anatomy then... it will cover both anatomy and neurophysiology.

Not really, actually. An overview anatomy course will mostly focus on nerve locations, etc., with less emphasis on the specific details mentioned before. Physiology will be treated even less, if at all.

I think that the Neuro course would be a really fun course (learning about LOTS of cool stuff), but to more directly answer the OPs question:

If the dental school you will be attending does NOT have a Neuro course as part of the curriculum, then that undergrad course won't help you much at all.

So I suppose the real question is how much Neuro is required at the dental school level.

Originally posted by aphistis
Not really, actually. An overview anatomy course will mostly focus on nerve locations, etc., with less emphasis on the specific details mentioned before. Physiology will be treated even less, if at all.

Op... sorry.. my head and neck anatomy class is for dental hygiene student only... so kidda different from tradition undergrad class. by the way, try to take neurophysiology postbac from medical school. it is a whole yard different.