Neuropsych Journals

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by jmiah717, Apr 21, 2017 at 9:30 AM.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. jmiah717

jmiah717

Mar 29, 2017
    I have access through the VA to professional literature but I'm having some trouble finding neuropsych articles. I'd like to get better acquainted with the literature. What database should I be using? We don't seem to have a Neurology database and I'm not turning up much on the psych databases.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. WisNeuro

WisNeuro Board Certified Neuropsychologist 7+ Year Member

Feb 15, 2009
    Somewhere
    Psychologist
    I use google scholar to find articles, and then look for the specific journals in the VA database, or otherwise use my professional memberships (AACN, INS) for access to certain journals.

jmiah717 and Therapist4Chnge like this.
  4. jmiah717

jmiah717

Mar 29, 2017
    Thanks, I found some interesting stuff on there. Embarrassingly, back when I did research Google Scholar didn't exist so I didn't even think of it...o_O

I'm having a heck of a time figuring out how to narrow my interests and/or relate my PTSD research/practice to my desire to learn/research/practice Neuro. I'm thinking I may need to try to get in with a local neuro lab on top of the PTSD/relationship study I'm working on as I am not sure I'll be a very attractive candidate for the folks that do more pure Neuro.

5. Ollie123

Ollie123 10+ Year Member

Feb 19, 2007
    Pubmed will also work. Full text should be available for many of the federally funded studies (via PMC - look for a link in the upper right) regardless of whether you have institutional access or not. Though compliance with this is horrendous (rightfully so in my eyes), so don't expect everything to be there.

6. AcronymAllergy

AcronymAllergy Neuropsychologist SDN Moderator 7+ Year Member

Jan 7, 2010
    Psychologist
    Caveat: If you haven't completed formal fellowship training, you'll probably want to refrain from practicing neuropsych. Learning and, to an extent, research are of course possibilities. Especially if you're able to do so in conjunction with an existing neuro lab.

My process is pretty much identical to WisNeuro. I search via Google Scholar and then see if the journal is available via the VA's electronic library or my professional memberships. Research Gate also sometimes has full-print articles. And as Ollie mentioned, you may be able to find lots of full-print via Google Scholar itself, depending on funding source.

7. jmiah717

jmiah717

Mar 29, 2017
    Oh yeah, not looking to practice. Looking to research and use the experience to make me more marketable to neuro labs when I apply in 2018. I'm a practicing LCSW but I stay in my lane. One of My future goals is to practice neuro....in probably 10years

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

8. jmiah717

jmiah717

Mar 29, 2017
    And also just want to be familiar with research trends and literature.

9. AcronymAllergy

AcronymAllergy Neuropsychologist SDN Moderator 7+ Year Member

Jan 7, 2010
    Psychologist
    Ah, my mistake, faulty assumption on my part.

Having research experience in a neuro lab would most definitely make you more marketable for doctoral programs in neuropsych. There's a good bit of research going on with PTSD and various neuropsychological/neuroscientific topics. Lit searching for those two terms alone should give you tons of hits, with exponentially more if you add in TBI and/or substance abuse.

jmiah717 likes this.
  10. jmiah717

jmiah717

Mar 29, 2017
    No worries at all. My tired brain didn't really explain that too well. I really appreciate the feedback. I'll look into those searches specifically.

11. neurobain

neurobain 2+ Year Member

Dec 16, 2014
    You can also find articles on researchgate.

jmiah717 likes this.