neuroscience question

Started by Newman8r
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Newman8r

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm contemplating applying to a neuroscience program before I go for the MD; I really haven't done any research on this yet, so I'm hoping I can get some questions answered here:


How competitive are well-respected neuroscience programs in general? (obviously it differs from school to school, but I just want a general idea - do people generally apply to many programs, or just a few?)

And if anyone is in one/ has completed one, how much free time might one have over the duration of the program? I'm not looking for a super busy schedule.


Like I said, I don't know much about these programs, but I would appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction. thanks.
 
according to my phd advisor, the top 5 programs generally have a 10-20% admissions rate.

graduate neuro programs are usually targeted torwards domestic students. and because it's one of the biomedical sciences it tends to be a bit more competitive. In general, if you are competitive for medical school associated with the same institution, you should do quite ok.

on the other hand, graduate biology/bme programs are genearally targeted to international students. these are nowhere as competitive.

phd programs in general are a whole different ball game, as compared to MD programs. it's all about research exp and so forth. but in generally a phd program is much easier to get into than the med school program at the same school.
 
sluox said:
according to my phd advisor, the top 5 programs generally have a 10-20% admissions rate.

graduate neuro programs are usually targeted torwards domestic students. and because it's one of the biomedical sciences it tends to be a bit more competitive. In general, if you are competitive for medical school associated with the same institution, you should do quite ok.

on the other hand, graduate biology/bme programs are genearally targeted to international students. these are nowhere as competitive.

phd programs in general are a whole different ball game, as compared to MD programs. it's all about research exp and so forth. but in generally a phd program is much easier to get into than the med school program at the same school.

Thanks, I'm going to start getting more info on this