neuroscience question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Newman8r

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm contemplating applying to a neuroscience program before I go for the MD; I really haven't done any research on this yet, so I'm hoping I can get some questions answered here:

How competitive are well-respected neuroscience programs in general? (obviously it differs from school to school, but I just want a general idea - do people generally apply to many programs, or just a few?)

And if anyone is in one/ has completed one, how much free time might one have over the duration of the program? I'm not looking for a super busy schedule.

Like I said, I don't know much about these programs, but I would appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction. thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

according to my phd advisor, the top 5 programs generally have a 10-20% admissions rate.

graduate neuro programs are usually targeted torwards domestic students. and because it's one of the biomedical sciences it tends to be a bit more competitive. In general, if you are competitive for medical school associated with the same institution, you should do quite ok.

on the other hand, graduate biology/bme programs are genearally targeted to international students. these are nowhere as competitive.

phd programs in general are a whole different ball game, as compared to MD programs. it's all about research exp and so forth. but in generally a phd program is much easier to get into than the med school program at the same school.

sluox said:
according to my phd advisor, the top 5 programs generally have a 10-20% admissions rate.

graduate neuro programs are usually targeted torwards domestic students. and because it's one of the biomedical sciences it tends to be a bit more competitive. In general, if you are competitive for medical school associated with the same institution, you should do quite ok.

on the other hand, graduate biology/bme programs are genearally targeted to international students. these are nowhere as competitive.

phd programs in general are a whole different ball game, as compared to MD programs. it's all about research exp and so forth. but in generally a phd program is much easier to get into than the med school program at the same school.

Thanks, I'm going to start getting more info on this