Neurosurgery residency chances as an IMG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Souidan

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,
I am a current medical student, and have been interested in a variety of fields for residency later on. However, from what I've been reading on this forum, and by looking into statistics, it seems that neurosurgery is highly competitive and there are no chances that a spot may be given to an IMG. I have heard a lot about IMGs who go for 2 or more years of research (as fellowship I think) and after they are done, they do apply to residency spots in neurosurgery. From this point, I would like to know whether is it possible or granted to get a spot after pursuing 2 years in research, or at least what will the chance be in that case? Additionally, I would like to get an idea on whether an MD gets a salary while doing his research?
Any additional information would be highly appreciated
Thank you
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Your chances are still pretty slim even with research time and typically your only decent shot is where you did research. If you apply for a research fellowship there is usually a small stipend involved to live on, but it depends on what you are able to get.
 
Your chances are still pretty slim even with research time and typically your only decent shot is where you did research. If you apply for a research fellowship there is usually a small stipend involved to live on, but it depends on what you are able to get.
Thank you 🙂