new carms announcement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arachniphobic73

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hmmm, have you guys checked out the new carms announcement?

http://www.carms.ca/jsp/main.jsp

if you click the link and look at the provincial breakdown, most of them are parallel streams, which, i think means that we apply separately from those graduating in canada. everyone is saying how this is good news, but if us canadian imgs apply separately for a limited number of positions, what difference does 1st or 2nd iterations make?

any comments?

-arach

Members don't see this ad.

One difference I can think of is that IMGs can actually apply for the more competitive specialties, or those of lesser number, that have been taken in the first iteration in the past. Who knows how it will actually pan out, but it at least means that if you're a competitive applicant then at least you can take a swing at residencies IMGs have been denied in the past.

arachniphobic73 said:
hmmm, have you guys checked out the new carms announcement?

http://www.carms.ca/jsp/main.jsp

if you click the link and look at the provincial breakdown, most of them are parallel streams, which, i think means that we apply separately from those graduating in canada. everyone is saying how this is good news, but if us canadian imgs apply separately for a limited number of positions, what difference does 1st or 2nd iterations make?

any comments?

-arach

The actual number of residency spots won't change from before. The difference is now we'll have a % of every specialty reserved for IMG's, instead of CMG's getting first shot at everything and leaving only FP for IMG's.....man, CMG's are PISSED!! This should be interesting.

Cheers,
Jocks

Members don't see this ad :)
Not trying to be picky, but I know not all CMGs are pissed. They're chances of getting the residency they want is still basically the same, and from everything I've read/heard worries that CMGs will start getting the short end of any stick are pretty baseless. It just adds a few of us to the mix... yay for us.

This whole thing is amazing news if your life-long ambition has been to work in Manatobia! Still think I'm setting my sights on the US. But I'm glad I have a chance to see how a couple years above me make out with coming back to Ontario.

Sage880 said:
This whole thing is amazing news if your life-long ambition has been to work in Manatobia! Still think I'm setting my sights on the US. But I'm glad I have a chance to see how a couple years above me make out with coming back to Ontario.

i don't think the new match will help img's in the end - except for the fact that we'll find out if we match earlier. most provinces are parallel match and i have heard that spots will still be preferentially given to CMG's anyways

maillot jaune said:
where would you have heard that?

from the residency director of the program i'm currently doing an elective in

My understanding is that the change to include IMGs in first round got pushed over the edge this year was because of a concern of possible human rights violations in an era of political correctness (as a disclaimer though, I was not at the provincial meetings). I could see that as a possibility, though I am just reporting the news as I understand it.

It makes sense otherwise the best candidates will not pick Canada, unless it is FP or a similar one that might have some availability in the 2nd round.

I notice though that there is return of service contracts included. I would be wary of these, not to say that they shouldn't be done, but just look very closely at where, what you are doing. Not much worse that being stuck in a legal contract. Most people who do medicine like the autonomy that goes with finally getting your stripes at the end of the road.