New Computer for Vet School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which iPad is better for vet school?

• iPad Pro 2020

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • iPad Air 2019

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • IPad Pro 2018

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
I save the notes as PDF files into Dropbox, then BAM I can get them anywhere.

MY COMPUTER IS SET TO BE DELIVERED TOMORROW!!!!! :love:

Members don't see this ad.

I wanted to bump this thread for anyone (including myself) who is looking to buy a new computer for vet school this year. Mine is getting quite old, and I'm not sure what to buy. Has anyone had any luck with PC/Tablets convertibles? I was thinking about buying a Lenovo Yoga or just a tablet (Ipad or GalaxyNote), but I wasn't certain if one was better for note-taking/vet school in general over the other.

Any suggestions as to what to look for or what has worked for current vet students?

I have the Galaxy Note 10.1 and love it for note taking. I think it's been discussed on this thread previously, so you should be able to find stuff. PM if you want more details. I do have the older version, so I don't know if the new one has any other special features. I also have a MacBook in addition to the tablet.

Members don't see this ad :)
I switch between a lot of things depending on how we get the lecture.
I have an iPad for those who have a powerpoint- super handy to use and draw on. I bought it right as class started in the fall and haven't had any regrets.
I have a macbook pro that I use when we have outlines for lectures. It's probably two years old now and works just great.
I do also buy paper notes if there is an option to. I still cling to my old ways on paper if I can do it (printing off notes for every class is what I used to do in undergrad, but really isn't feasible for me to do so now).

So my Yoga that I got directly from Lenovo was super defective. The screen didnt rotate between modes fluidly and sometimes went out completely. I contacted Lenovo and had to reem them until they agreed to replace it. I had called customer support 3 times, and had had the screen replaced one already. This was within a month of owning it. They replaced the computer finally and I still had the same issues. I finally just called them and demanded a refund. They eventually refunded me but it was a huge headache. Hopefully it was just that batch of computers. But online there are several insances of the keyboards not working after modes are switched.

I switch between a lot of things depending on how we get the lecture.
I have an iPad for those who have a powerpoint- super handy to use and draw on. I bought it right as class started in the fall and haven't had any regrets.
I have a macbook pro that I use when we have outlines for lectures. It's probably two years old now and works just great.
I do also buy paper notes if there is an option to. I still cling to my old ways on paper if I can do it (printing off notes for every class is what I used to do in undergrad, but really isn't feasible for me to do so now).
I have a similar system, although I'm finding myself relying more and more on my ipad over my macbook (although I did just get a glorious new macbook last week :)) as I've gotten used to using it for notes... it can be a bit of an adjustment, and if you intend to "write" on it, definitely do some stylus research because that really makes a big difference. I find the ipad doesn't work well for typing outline type notes (due to lack of good word processing apps), but if you like putting little text boxes all over your notes, that works well (but I'd suggest an external keyboard) . I don't get paper notes, but I will choose to print some of my notes on my own (with all of my annotations from my ipad on them). I don't like the notes they sell at our school because they often get printed in the 3 slides per page with little lines next each slide format that I HATE... If you do plan on printing things at home, I'd really suggest investing in a monochrome laser printer... mine was only ~$100, with about $50/semester in toner... and my $50 box of paper will probably last at least two years at this rate. Plus, I can print the notes how & when I want to, and don't waste paper printing notes that should really be viewed in color.

Hey guys,

I will be attending vet school in the fall, and I was wondering if anyone had any input or suggestions on types of computers to buy? During the information session at the University of Illinois, the tech guy said we should DEFINITELY buy a brand new computer for vet school (so it will last us the next four years and beyond)...he scoffed at the idea of using our old one from undergrad. So, two questions:

I think it's like anything - it's not black 'n white. If you just bought one a year before vet school and it does what it needs to do? It's probably fine and why spend the money. If you have one that's four years old .... I'd replace it. A laptop going 8-9 years is a lot to ask. And time is tight in vet/med school; the last thing you need is to have it die the night before an exam, so it's kinda nice to make the risk at least as low as possible.

That said, I think that if you use a GOOD online backup vendor (Backblaze, Carbonite, etc.), and you're careful to make sure everything important to vet school is getting backed up ... it's not a huge deal. If something catastrophic were to happen in that case it would be a matter of getting a new computer quickly, and restoring your data. Probably a day or two of outage.

*shrug* It's all risk assessment .... how much risk are you comfy with?

I think it's like anything - it's not black 'n white. If you just bought one a year before vet school and it does what it needs to do? It's probably fine and why spend the money. If you have one that's four years old .... I'd replace it. A laptop going 8-9 years is a lot to ask. And time is tight in vet/med school; the last thing you need is to have it die the night before an exam, so it's kinda nice to make the risk at least as low as possible.

That said, I think that if you use a GOOD online backup vendor (Backblaze, Carbonite, etc.), and you're careful to make sure everything important to vet school is getting backed up ... it's not a huge deal. If something catastrophic were to happen in that case it would be a matter of getting a new computer quickly, and restoring your data. Probably a day or two of outage.

*shrug* It's all risk assessment .... how much risk are you comfy with?

Seconding this whole backing up data thing. I spilled a water/gatorade mixture on my laptop last year. Luckily I had accidental damage insurance on it so I got a full refund because Sony said they couldn't fix it. Lost everything right before midterms though. It sucked. Now all my notes from class are on my tablet and study guides are saved on Google Drive.

Hi everyone,

After spending many years with my beloved Lenovo ThinkPad T410, I'm going to get the new Thinkpad X1 Carbon for vet school. It's super thin and super durable, plus it has a high-resolution touch screen. It has a really long battery life. The thing is a tank and I would take it any day over a MacBook Pro (prices are comparable). Also you can dock it when at home and use it as a regular desktop. Did I mention it has a spill reservoir so if you spill stuff it just dribbles through the keyboard instead of frying it? Can't wait to order one!

I started a thread about tablets a couple months ago. I ended up getting the 2014 Galaxy Note 10.1 and really like it! I chose it over the iPad for its awesome stylus.

I started a thread about tablets a couple months ago. I ended up getting the 2014 Galaxy Note 10.1 and really like it! I chose it over the iPad for its awesome stylus.

Seriously though. The stylus is awesome. My friends with iPads have gone through such a trial and error process to find one they like to write with and that is durable.

I Have not read everything but in undergrad I used an android tablet. I loved how tiny it was and it was fast with a long battery life. I even bought a keyboard to go with it. Problem was since it was android I had a hard time finding word processing applications that I liked. I so desperately wanted Microsoft word and powerpoint. The immitation programs always lacked something.

So I have decided that for vet school I am going to get a windows tablet that is convertable to a laptop. I haven't decided for sure on which, but I'm leaving towards the transformer t100. Its only like $350-400ish and it comes with the keyboard.

I am looking into other convertible tablets as well, but so far that one seems to be right.

I heard a rumor that a t200 will be coming out in the next few months so I'm waiting to see how the new one compares. The only difference I know of so far is the size. T100 is 10 inches, t200 is 11.6

Edit: buy for those of you considering convertibles I think the first thing you need to consider is the operating system. Then look at things like battery life and speed of the computer.

So I have decided that for vet school I am going to get a windows tablet that is convertable to a laptop. I haven't decided for sure on which, but I'm leaving towards the transformer t100. Its only like $350-400ish and it comes with the keyboard.
Just a word of warning, DON'T buy anything ASUS. I posted earlier in this thread that I had a transformer 300 and the LCD inner screen cracked, they fixed it (and were major b**** about it even though it seems to be a defect with their model) but then a few months later the screen cracked again. Trust me I was totally gentle on this tablet and it seemed to crack if you even look at it funny. I literally received my tablet back yesterday repaired, but I have been arguing with them since the end of december about this problem, I had to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau to even get ASUS to call me back (I called several times trying to talk to a supervisor and was put on hold for half an hour and then told they couldn't get a hold of a supervisor). I'm pretty sure they only fixed it because they realized I wasn't going to back down and I would continue to be a major PITA.
My roommate has the t100 and has not had this problem (and she drops hers all the time) and neither has my sister in law who has the transformer prime (she's gentle), so you might be ok. However if you ever have a problem and have to deal with their customer service you will be screwed. ASUS customer service is the worst experience I've ever had with a company and it majorly sucks that you can't even get them to talk to you.
Sorry if that all seemed dramatic, but I really really really hate ASUS now because of this whole ordeal. And I really wouldn't want you to have to deal with this frustration in vet school if something bad happened to your tablet.

Personally, even though I have my ASUS tablet back I believe I'm going to buy the Galaxy Note 10.1, my father has had one for a little bit and I absolutely love it (and I'd rather spend the money now because don't want my tablet to break in school and have to deal with ASUS again).

Members don't see this ad :)
Just a word of warning, DON'T buy anything ASUS. I posted earlier in this thread that I had a transformer 300 and the LCD inner screen cracked, they fixed it (and were major b**** about it even though it seems to be a defect with their model) but then a few months later the screen cracked again. Trust me I was totally gentle on this tablet and it seemed to crack if you even look at it funny. I literally received my tablet back yesterday repaired, but I have been arguing with them since the end of december about this problem, I had to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau to even get ASUS to call me back (I called several times trying to talk to a supervisor and was put on hold for half an hour and then told they couldn't get a hold of a supervisor). I'm pretty sure they only fixed it because they realized I wasn't going to back down and I would continue to be a major PITA.
My roommate has the t100 and has not had this problem (and she drops hers all the time) and neither has my sister in law who has the transformer prime (she's gentle), so you might be ok. However if you ever have a problem and have to deal with their customer service you will be screwed. ASUS customer service is the worst experience I've ever had with a company and it majorly sucks that you can't even get them to talk to you.
Sorry if that all seemed dramatic, but I really really really hate ASUS now because of this whole ordeal. And I really wouldn't want you to have to deal with this frustration in vet school if something bad happened to your tablet.

Personally, even though I have my ASUS tablet back I believe I'm going to buy the Galaxy Note 10.1, my father has had one for a little bit and I absolutely love it (and I'd rather spend the money now because don't want my tablet to break in school and have to deal with ASUS again).
Thanks so much for the heads up. I've heard of people buying them through best buy with issues and best buy took care of repairs. So if I do get one I'll make sure I go through a place that will take care of any issues..

The t100 definitely does not have the highest build quality (how much can you ask for at $350??), so it is quite possible that I could run into an issue that would need a repair. Thanks for the heads up.

Besides it being from Asus, how does your roommate like the t100? I have a very powerful desktop, the t100 will only be for school related things.. Note taking, studying, etc.

I don't need to play games on it or anything (that is what my desktop is for :) )

Thanks so much for the heads up. I've heard of people buying them through best buy with issues and best buy took care of repairs. So if I do get one I'll make sure I go through a place that will take care of any issues..

The t100 definitely does not have the highest build quality (how much can you ask for at $350??), so it is quite possible that I could run into an issue that would need a repair. Thanks for the heads up.

Besides it being from Asus, how does your roommate like the t100? I have a very powerful desktop, the t100 will only be for school related things.. Note taking, studying, etc.

I don't need to play games on it or anything (that is what my desktop is for :) )
No problem! I really wouldn't want anyone to have to go through what I have with them. Best Buy insurance/whatever sounds like a good alternative if you really want the transformer.

My roommate actually loves her t100 (Which is why I went the transformer route). I would say it performs pretty well, pretty much what you would expect for the bottom of the transformer line. She loves the keyboard dock that they sell. I've tested it out a few times and it seems pretty smooth, really like a little netbook with a touch screen. She doesn't really use it for school, more for play/internet. But multiple times we have been stranded on campus where we needed quick access to the internet or to type up a quick email (neither of us had smart phones) and it worked great. If it weren't for my whole issues with the build and their customer service I would recommend the transformer. I haven't honestly tested out any word processing programs so I can't comment on it's note taking abilities, but I'm sure you could find something.

Does anyone have experience with Sony laptops? I'm currently comparing Sony to Lenovo. I'm interested in the 2-in-1 convertible laptops; I want to know if anyone has any opinions on those as well :)

Does anyone have experience with Sony laptops? I'm currently comparing Sony to Lenovo. I'm interested in the 2-in-1 convertible laptops; I want to know if anyone has any opinions on those as well :)

I had a Sony Vaio that I liked well enough. It was a little large (15 inches) but pretty light. I don't have it anymore because I spilled water/gatorade on it and Sony said it couldn't be fixed and gave me the cost of the computer back.

I haven't had a Sony in many years so I can't really comment on that, but I love my Lenovo laptop. I bought one of their cheapest models on sale and even though it's not top of the line, it's still extremely fast and I've had no problems with it.

My almost 2 yr old Sony Vaio E-Series died last week for no real reason....I had to get some warranty work done on it last year and they replaced the entire motherboard. It never had any trauma (spills, drops, etc.), so :shrug: Now I have to buy another laptop because the warranty is up and fixing it is a few hundred dollars anyway.

Also, Sony is shutting down their laptop division, so I would go with Lenovo in this case.

Just my $0.02.

Thanks for the responses! A lot of laptops now don't have CD drives, but I know you can buy them separately. Would not having a CD drive ever be a problem?

Thanks for the responses! A lot of laptops now don't have CD drives, but I know you can buy them separately. Would not having a CD drive ever be a problem?

Probably not. I personally like having one because I don't have a TV in my bedroom and should I ever have time to watch a movie, I do so on my laptop. Although, I do also now have my bf's Netflix account so that's not even really necessary...

It really depends on the school....I only had a CD for homework once thus far and could have easily just gone to the library, but each program is different.

I would ask a current student at your school.

Not relevant to the current conversation....but I just got the Samsung Galaxy Note Pro (the huge 12" tablet) and I got a keyboard, and I LOVE it. So if anyone is thinking about getting a tablet I highly recommend the Note (even the smaller ones, though the pro comes with an almost identical to Word word processor).

Not relevant to the current conversation....but I just got the Samsung Galaxy Note Pro (the huge 12" tablet) and I got a keyboard, and I LOVE it. So if anyone is thinking about getting a tablet I highly recommend the Note (even the smaller ones, though the pro comes with an almost identical to Word word processor).

I saw a commercial or something for the Note Pro and it looked beautiful...although I'm a fan of the Samsung Galaxy series to begin with. I might upgrade to one of those or whatever else is out when my Note 10.1 reaches the end of it's life.

Reactions: 1 user
May I ask what y'all paid for your tablets? Everything I've looked at seems so expensive, unless I was to get a contract through my cellular provider. :\ Which I only want WIFI access and no data plan for. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places... Thanks for any help!

I personally think it's useful to have a CD drive. I find that the external drives are just a pain. I play games and watch DVDs on my laptop so personally I want a laptop that has one built in. I know our anatomy professors keep a couple educational CDs on hand that we're allowed to check out, so it might be useful for that too, but then I'm sure whatever school you're headed to will have computer lab you can use as well.

I think I paid like $475 for mine (16 GB Galaxy Note 10.1 --not the 2014 edition). I convinced my mom to go in on it as a Christmas present. It's like $100 cheaper now that the 2014 edition is out. I was glad I had it though because I could still use it for notes and work when I didn't have a computer for few weeks in February.

Thanks! I'll try to see if my parents would be willing to make it an early X-mas gift. Or go halfsies with me. I think having a tablet will be really helpful since my laptop is kind of cumbersome and I don't want a million printouts (unless they're provided by school so I don't pay ink/print costs) to keep up with. I may just have to wait until Black Friday.

The prices probably went down more because the Pro came out recently.
The pro was like $700, so obviously not cheap :(, but it's exactly what I wanted for vet school so it was worth it...and my parents helped a bit.

I really recommend going to http://www.reddit.com/r/SuggestALaptop , creating an account, and posting asking for a laptop recommendation. I've used reddit to find my laptops for the past 2 years and I trust their recommendations over anyone else's. They have instructions on the right side of the page that tell you to fill out a form - you can specify budget, any preferences for hard disk size, screen size, battery life, portability, etc. - and the users on that board consistently reply within a day's time with at least one or two specific laptop recommendations (as well as a link to where to get it, sometimes).

Most people on there are asking for gaming laptops but I've been able to find a great, pretty much all-purpose laptop for the budget I wanted and in the screen resolution I wanted... treating myself to that for my birthday. Seriously, these guys know about computers, and you are not going to find better help.

Reactions: 2 users
I was looking at the Surface 2. Anyone ever use that? It looks like it would be nice, but I read somewhere that people have trouble getting digital textbooks. I have played around with it at the store, and I like it, especially since it comes with Office, but just wondered if anyone has any opinions on it, or experience to share.

My Lenovo only lasted 2+ years, and I have had intermittent small annoyances with it (in the end both the motherboard and the DC power died so it wasn't worth fixing). I know a couple of people had problems out of the box with them, and then others swear by them.

Honestly it seems like that is the case with most computers.

BTW, I switched to a MAC for the first time in decades, and kind of regret the choice. There are still so many little things that only are made for PCs in the real (non-educational) world, and it is annoying (and I am not interesting in getting into Windows emulations or whatever). Just an old fogey's opinion.

I had a Lenovo Yoga. The key word is had , it was riddled with problems and took several demanding phone calls to get a replacement and ultimately a refund for that horrible product. I just bought a Macbook Pro 13" and I LOVE it. If there was a word stronger than love I'd use that instead.

My Lenovo only lasted 2+ years, and I have had intermittent small annoyances with it (in the end both the motherboard and the DC power died so it wasn't worth fixing). I know a couple of people had problems out of the box with them, and then others swear by them.

Honestly it seems like that is the case with most computers.

Still lurf my T220. Even if it's ugly. :)

Thoughts on an iPad vs an iPad Mini? Would the smaller screen of the mini be a pain for reading/taking notes?

Thoughts on an iPad vs an iPad Mini? Would the smaller screen of the mini be a pain for reading/taking notes?
I prefer my iPad mini over my husbands iPad Air. I like the way it fits in my hand and you can always zoom in if you can't read it. I have never taken notes on it before so I can't comment on that but I think it would just as easy. I would go in to an Apple store and try them both out yourself and see what you prefer, everyone is different. Good luck on your search!

If you are using it to take notes I wouldn't recommend because the screen is small. I haven't had any luck with note taking and have tried a Bluetooth stylus. I love the weight and size for reading and it's not bad for watching movies. Just my take, but I'm kinda stuck on buying the Samsung note so I might be biased but when comparing the two for note taking, I tried out the note in store, the note blows the iPad out of the water.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

I'm really starting to hate looking at laptops. I have a quick question for current students. Most laptops now come with a 128gb or 256gb SSD; would having a laptop with only 256gb plus having a 1tb external be sufficient? I'm planning on taking my notes on my tablet and storing them in Dropbox or Google Drive. Most of my pictures and music are on my current 500gb external.

Instead of buying a new computer for vet school, I am nursing my 7-year-old laptop for the next four years. I did buy a used iPad and I really feel like it was a great decision. I got a 64 gig iPad 2 for about $200 off Craigslist. I found a used Kensington keyboard case for about $30 on Amazon, and I love it. I do almost everything on my iPad now. It's more lightweight to lug back and forth than a laptop, and I prefer hand-writing notes on PDFs of powerpoints instead of typing notes, so Notability is a great app for me. There are also good word processing apps, so I don't need my computer for much of anything. I highly recommend Friendly Swede knit tip styluses as well, they write very smoothly, are cheap, and last a long time.

I would find an iPad mini a bit too small to write comfortably on, but maybe I am just used to the iPad I have. Notability has a zoom function to make writing easier, so YMMV.

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1414933575.935692.jpg

This is a great deal if you are in the market for a tablet. I love mine and I paid $650 on Amazon.

Reactions: 1 users
As a guy that hated macs until three months ago, let me just say the 13" retina MB Pro is amazing. The biggest reasons boil down to two things: battery life and weight. I can get around 8-9 hours of battery life with regular use, which is awesome, and it weighs so little I don't even notice it in my backpack. I never thought it would be worth the expense, but I honestly can't imagine med school without it.

Just my two cents. Not a very student, but a med student at a school with a very tech-heavy curriculum.

Instead of buying a new computer for vet school, I am nursing my 7-year-old laptop for the next four years. I did buy a used iPad and I really feel like it was a great decision. I got a 64 gig iPad 2 for about $200 off Craigslist. I found a used Kensington keyboard case for about $30 on Amazon, and I love it. I do almost everything on my iPad now. It's more lightweight to lug back and forth than a laptop, and I prefer hand-writing notes on PDFs of powerpoints instead of typing notes, so Notability is a great app for me. There are also good word processing apps, so I don't need my computer for much of anything. I highly recommend Friendly Swede knit tip styluses as well, they write very smoothly, are cheap, and last a long time.

I would find an iPad mini a bit too small to write comfortably on, but maybe I am just used to the iPad I have. Notability has a zoom function to make writing easier, so YMMV.
one problem with old computers/laptops is (believe it or not) that you sometimes cannot get replacement parts, and if something goes..... you are SOL.
I have just had this problem. I got the "it's a lost cause" speech and had to get new stuff.

Thank you for bumping up this thread!!

I know some schools have certain requirements and want you to buy a specific computer when you start there... But for now during my undergrad I'm using my iPad 2 religiously for note taking (notability and Andoit jot pro). I'm holding for either the new iPad of Surface Pro 3 for Christmas... Bit are amazing note-taking devices.

I'm still in undergrad, but I bought a Surface Pro 3 at the start of this semester and LOVE it. OneNote is the way to go with taking notes for me... and I can use my Surface to insert photos, capture screenshots of the slides that are online (super helpful when the profs put slides up late), record sound, and write and highlight over everything. It even searches your handwriting when you run a search. I haven't had any problems using my Surface as a real computer either which is partly why I chose it over an iPad. It runs my chemistry homework programs better than any other computer in the house, has great battery life, and is a perfect size for me to carry around. If anyone is looking for that note taking/computer combo I would totally spend the money on the Surface Pro 3. There's not a thing about it that I dislike. Notes are automatically backed up to the cloud too.

I'm still in undergrad, but I bought a Surface Pro 3 at the start of this semester and LOVE it. OneNote is the way to go with taking notes for me... and I can use my Surface to insert photos, capture screenshots of the slides that are online (super helpful when the profs put slides up late), record sound, and write and highlight over everything. It even searches your handwriting when you run a search. I haven't had any problems using my Surface as a real computer either which is partly why I chose it over an iPad. It runs my chemistry homework programs better than any other computer in the house, has great battery life, and is a perfect size for me to carry around. If anyone is looking for that note taking/computer combo I would totally spend the money on the Surface Pro 3. There's not a one thing about it that I dislike. Notes are automatically backed up to the cloud too.
I 100% agree, and I love mine as well! It completely replaced my old laptop and is the best note taker for my style of notes. I can type quickly on Onenote, and then I can use the stylus if I need to draw or emphasis anything. Overall it's fantastic and I have no complaints.

For those of you that take notes on your laptops....

Which program do you use? OneNote (for Mac) has been ticking me off and I'm probably going to ditch it. Considering Notability, but the reviews cite syncing problems. Growly Notes I have, but don't like not being able to annotate directly on the slide.

Any and all opinions are welcome. :)

Which program do you use? OneNote (for Mac) has been ticking me off and I'm probably going to ditch it. Considering Notability, but the reviews cite syncing problems. Growly Notes I have, but don't like not being able to annotate directly on the slide.

Honestly, if I'm not using my tablet (Galaxy Note 10.1), I just print the slides in 3 slides/page hand out form and use the text comment tool through Adobe. Not exactly my favorite, but I didn't like that you couldn't type on the slides either with Growly Notes and OneNote for Macs wasn't available when I got mine. Now that I only have a couple weeks of classes left, there's no point in making the switch.

OneNote, on my Windows (Surface Pro 3). By far the best note taking program I have ever used. Can't comment on it on Macs however, since I dislike Macs. ;)