New Computer for Vet School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which iPad is better for vet school?

• iPad Pro 2020

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • iPad Air 2019

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • IPad Pro 2018

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
any ideas of how strong the laptop needs to be in terms of cpu and gpu?
Like for example the 12" macbook is ideal since it is small, really light and has pretty good battery life, but at the same time they use M fan-less processors so it's really weak compared to other ultrabooks, etc.
What

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry my computer nerd side must've come out :laugh:
Just wondering if vet schools use certain software or programs that require laptops with certain specifications to run them.

Sorry my computer nerd side must've come out :laugh:
Just wondering if vet schools use certain software or programs that require laptops with certain specifications to run them.
Usually they’ll tell you what they want it to have but it’s basic stuff.
For example, this is what Illinois wants. My 2012 MBP fits the requirements.
Some schools require a specific laptop though, so check with your school (or schools you’re applying to, not sure where you are in the process)

65C7E4BD-2EB1-44F9-832F-0685C5FF7920.png

Members don't see this ad :)
Like for example the 12" macbook is ideal since it is small, really light and has pretty good battery life, but at the same time they use M fan-less processors so it's really weak compared to other ultrabooks, etc.
I wouldn't get a macbook. A macbook pro is the same price for way better specs. What schools require depends on the school but many require an i5 or i7 processor which the macbook doesn't have.

Where will you be attending?

Like @SkiOtter already alluded to, some schools have hardware requirements that they want your computer to meet, and there are also a few that actually make you purchase a specific machine preloaded with the software you'll need directly through them (eg. K-State requires Fujitsu Lifebooks, Iowa State requires Lenovo ThinkPad Yogas). If you haven't yet, I would take a look at your school's website to see if they fall under either of those categories first and foremost.

Do you only intend to use the machine for school and basic internet browsing? What else, if anything, do you do on the computer? Do you program, game, do a lot of hardcore graphic or video editing?

I wouldn't spend the amount of money that Apple asks for on a ultrabook with a processor like that. I mean, if you only plan to do school things and light internet, it *might* be just barely adequate, but it'd be a risk and I know that I at least personally wouldn't be able to stand using such an underpowered computer, especially with a fanless processor. If you are determined to stick with something running macOS, consider a MacBook Pro; even the lowest current configuration comes with an i5. Still much more expensive than a machine running Windows with comparable specs, though, so if money is an issue, then that's something to consider.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
Where will you be attending?

Like @SkiOtter already alluded to, some schools have hardware requirements that they want your computer to meet, and there are also a few that actually make you purchase a specific machine preloaded with the software you'll need directly through them (eg. K-State requires Fujitsu Lifebooks, Iowa State requires Lenovo ThinkPad Yogas). If you haven't yet, I would take a look at your school's website to see if they fall under either of those categories first and foremost.

Do you only intend to use the machine for school and basic internet browsing? What else do you do on the computer? Do you program, game, do a lot of hardcore graphic or video editing?

I wouldn't spend the amount of money that Apple asks for on a ultrabook with a processor like that (seriously, a fanless M on a $700+ machine, wtf). I mean, if you only plan to do school things and light internet, it *might* be just barely adequate, but it'd be a risk and I know that I at least personally wouldn't be able to stand using such an underpowered computer. If you are determined to stick with something running OS X, consider a MacBook Pro; even the lowest current configuration comes with an i5. Still much more expensive than a machine running Windows with comparable specs, though, so if money is an issue, then that's something to consider.
Words

I’m glad some people know what these words all say because I certainly don’t

I wouldn't get a macbook. A macbook pro is the same price for way better specs. What schools require depends on the school but many require an i5 or i7 processor which the macbook doesn't have.
It says that you can get it with an i5 or i7 tho

seriously, a fanless M on a $700+ machine, wtf).
So I went and found their reasoning behind why a fan wasn’t needed, in case you hadn’t. Again, it’s mostly a bunch of words to me tho
397EB4AE-5F79-41FD-A72C-91BCE194F903.jpeg

So I went and found their reasoning behind why a fan wasn’t needed, in case you hadn’t. Again, it’s mostly a bunch of words to me tho
View attachment 234947
basically it's on a cooling sheet instead of using a fan to remove heat

Reactions: 1 user
Funnily enough, the surcharge for bumping the processor from m3 to an i5 actually makes the 12in MacBook model more expensive than even the lowest end configuration of the MacBook Pro. Buying the base MacBook Pro (which is higher specced in every way except in SSD storage capacity, which may or may not be important to you) would be cheaper than buying the 12in MacBook with an i5... for some reason. Apple apparently has some bizarre price scheming. I'll admit, it made me laugh.

I believe that that was the point that @ziggyandjazzy was trying to make.

12in.PNG

13inpro.PNG

Funnily enough, the $100 surcharge for bumping the processor from m3 to an i5 actually makes the 12in MacBook model more expensive than even the lowest end configuration of the MacBook Pro. Buying the base MacBook Pro (which is higher specced in every way except in SSD storage capacity, which may or may not be important to you) would be cheaper than buying the 12in MacBook with an i5... for some reason. Apple apparently has some bizarre price scheming. I'll admit, it made me laugh.

View attachment 234954
View attachment 234955
Weird (but she had said it didn’t have one so I was just saying it could if you wanted)

Funnily enough, the $100 surcharge for bumping the processor from m3 to an i5 actually makes the 12in MacBook model more expensive than even the lowest end configuration of the MacBook Pro. Buying the base MacBook Pro (which is higher specced in every way except in SSD storage capacity, which may or may not be important to you) would be cheaper than buying the 12in MacBook with an i5... for some reason. Apple apparently has some bizarre price scheming. I'll admit, it made me laugh.

View attachment 234954
View attachment 234955
You beat me to it. The base models for both are the same price. You can put an i5 in, still not as good of a processor, and then the macbook would be more expensive. Idk why anyone buys macbooks instead of macbook pros. I asked one of the genuises this and he said that for some people, weight just really matters.

Those prices just confirm for me that I'm never switching over to Apple :laugh:
Yeah, Apple is definitely not known for having bargain prices for the specs that you get. Ha. I've got a iMac at my parents' house that I purchased refurbished from Apple; it was my first Mac and it will likely be my last. For more reasons than just the price.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also think generally that people get a longer lifespan out of macs than pcs.

I've used Mac OS for so long that idk how I would handle using microsoft. I grew up using macs and am pretty familiar with them. I'm so bad at computers I worry that if I bought a PC, I just wouldn't know how to use it. Every time I pick up an android phone, I can't even figure out how it works lol

What I like about my PC is that it's both a tablet and a laptop but it's not like the surface because the keyboard is attached. You can always touch the screen like a tablet but you can also fold it!
Like this:
Yoga_11_pos_L.jpg

Also it was only $800!!! It has fantastic specs (unless you want to do gaming like form Steam as it doesn't have a super graphics card) but I have fallen in love with it!!! I don't understand why people don't consider these types of laptops as much! I don't really like surface pros because I want a bigger screen than that and I don't like how there are no touchscreen macs so you would need to buy a laptop and an ipad which is A LOT of money!!! So if you're thinking of a versatile laptop, consider one of these :)
By the way, my laptop is called a Lenovo Ideapad Flex 4 :)

I don't really like surface pros because I want a bigger screen than that and I don't like how there are no touchscreen macs so you would need to buy a laptop and an ipad which is A LOT of money!!!

I don't think you would need to buy a laptop AND an ipad. Plenty of people don't need/don't use touch screen capabilities. I think 2 in 1s can be cool, but there are sacrifices with them as well.

I also think generally that people get a longer lifespan out of macs than pcs.

I've used Mac OS for so long that idk how I would handle using microsoft. I grew up using macs and am pretty familiar with them. I'm so bad at computers I worry that if I bought a PC, I just wouldn't know how to use it. Every time I pick up an android phone, I can't even figure out how it works lol
Different strokes for different folks, haha. Admittedly I don't run either Windows OR MacOS anymore, so I've got little skin in that debate. :p

You do what works for you. I figure that Apple as a brand must have such massive fan loyalty for a reason, even if I personally haven't had the best experience.

Different strokes for different folks, haha. Admittedly I don't run either Windows OR MacOS on my main computer, so I've got little skin in that debate. :p

You do what works for you. I figure that Apple as a brand must have such massive fan loyalty for a reason, even if I personally haven't had the best experience.
Linux?

I don't think you would need to buy a laptop AND an ipad. Plenty of people don't need/don't use touch screen capabilities. I think 2 in 1s can be cool, but there are sacrifices with them as well.
That's true :) I just think for studying stuff like anatomy, it's nice to be able to draw on pictures to annotate things :) The only drawback I have personally with the 2 in 1 is the weight of it.

and there are a couple people that I know that already had a mac going into vet school but wanted to draw stuff so they bought the ipad.

Yes! I've been bouncing between various distros since 2008 or so. I love having the large amount of fine, granular control that the kernel provides. Currently on Mint and Ubuntu MATE with my two "main" laptops. :)

Yes! I've been bouncing between various distros since 2008 or so. I love having the large amount of fine, granular control that the kernel provides. Currently on Mint and Ubuntu MATE with my two "main" laptops. :)
A little bit of that made sense, but mostly not lol. My partner was a comp sci major and uses Ubuntu.

I did. I use an iPad Pro exclusively for school, but a true laptop for complicated work documents and gaming.

I did. I use an iPad Pro exclusively for school, but a true laptop for complicated work documents and gaming.
I'm not saying people don't use both. I am saying generally, most people don't NEED to own both.

I love my surface pro and it has served me really well for note-taking. I like handwriting stuff (helps me retain it better) but don't like carrying a bunch of papers around, so it works for me, and has replaced my old laptop.

Reactions: 2 users
In other news, booo it looks like apple isn't releasing any hardware at WWDC. Good thing OSU starts late September, I may be able to wait lol

I was quoted $425 by Apple to fix the trackpad as they would have to replace the entire bottom case. Maybe I am just unlucky lol. He thought the trackpad was to blame, although we couldn’t find any hard evidence of this using the tests he ran. However, miraculously the computer hasn’t had issues since going in. I’m not holding my breath though. Regardless, I need a new computer before classes in September (as evidenced by my numerous posts in this thread with various issues). I would get the Lenovo 920 yoga in a heartbeat if it ran Mac OS. But alas, I’m probably just going to get another MacBook Pro lol.

I am/was a mac person, but because exam software at my school is not supported on an ipad pro, I just got the X1 Yoga. Holy smokes. I love it.

I wonder if the cooling capabilities will get better in time to support the higher end processors. The surface pro is also using the m-processors I saw. Also, seems like your basic i5/8gig config should do it after talking extensively with the IT folks in the Vet dept. If your school gives you a office365 free download, that's 1TB of space which means you're flex on the SSD since that's still hella expensive to upgrade compared to HDD. We don't really run anything that intensive or need that much ram (unless you're a digital multi-tasker) -- but you seem like you know your way around some tech.

Not anymore, surprisingly. The X1 yoga is the 2in1 of the X1 Carbon, and other than 0.5lbs and slightly larger bezels, it's the same thing -- in fact the Yoga has that sweet 500nits screen.

Can anyone comment on what % of people use Apple vs other manufacturers in their vet school? I am just curious as to the divide. My cousin in dental school made it seem like everyone has either ipads or MBPs.

Can anyone comment on what % of people use Apple vs other manufacturers in their vet school? I am just curious as to the divide. My cousin in dental school made it seem like everyone has either ipads or MBPs.
Idk exact numbers but it seems like a fairly even split to me. Lots of MacBooks but I know several people who have surfaces and several others with other laptops and such. I know fewer people who have just an ipad.

I'd say like 40% ish use Mac in my class. It might be a bit more, but I don't often see everyone anymore except on test days

and there are a couple people that I know that already had a mac going into vet school but wanted to draw stuff so they bought the ipad.
Hey I'm considering either the surface pro or a 2-1. My concern for a 2-1 is how to protect the key pad while writing on the screen if you fold it over. What do you do? Is there a cover product you can buy? I briefly looked but didn't see anything.

I love my surface pro and it has served me really well for note-taking. I like handwriting stuff (helps me retain it better) but don't like carrying a bunch of papers around, so it works for me, and has replaced my old laptop.
Which pro do you have? processor,memory, hard drive size?

Which pro do you have? processor,memory, hard drive size?
3. I think the pro 4 had just come out when I got it, so yay price drop.
Intel core i7, 256gb, 8gb RAM
I'm not sure there are any new ones out there anymore though. The only issue I had with it was the pen started acting funny after a year. Replaced it with an off brand one from Amazon and have had no problems since.

Hey I'm considering either the surface pro or a 2-1. My concern for a 2-1 is how to protect the key pad while writing on the screen if you fold it over. What do you do? Is there a cover product you can buy? I briefly looked but didn't see anything.
Hey Mixy :) I don't use a cover for my 2 in 1 when I flip it and it's fine :) you just have to give it a second so no keys are pressed and then usually the computer prompts you to let you know it's now in tablet mode. Then if the keyboard is pressed on in tablet mode it doesn't register. As long as you're not slamming the keyboard, it does really well!

Sent from my SM-G900T using SDN mobile

Most good tablet PC models, such as the Lenovo ThinkPad Yogas and Dell XPS series, have a retractor mechanism for the keys that make them lie flush with the frame/bezel when folded into tablet mode in order to prevent damage to the keyboard. No additional protection or cover required. :)

Edit: I realized that it might to be difficult to visualize how it operates just from my description, so here is a video demonstration.

Hey Mixy :) I don't use a cover for my 2 in 1 when I flip it and it's fine :) you just have to give it a second so no keys are pressed and then usually the computer prompts you to let you know it's now in tablet mode. Then if the keyboard is pressed on in tablet mode it doesn't register. As long as you're not slamming the keyboard, it does really well!

Sent from my SM-G900T using SDN mobile

Most good tablet PC models, such as the Lenovo ThinkPad Yogas and Dell XPS series, have a retractor mechanism for the keys that make them lie flush with the bezel when folded into tablet mode in order to prevent damage to the keyboard. No additional protection or cover required. :)

Edit: I realized that it might to be difficult to visualize how it operates just from my description, so here is a video demonstration.

OOH fancy! I did not know this. @Elkhart I know you don't do PC, but do you know if any of the HP series 2-1s do the same? Or which HP series is decent (not the super high end like Zbook) Thinking maybe this one-there's just so many options... HP Pavilion x360 - 13-u168nr| HP® Official Store
ETA: Or how do I tell if it has key retracting feature

OOH fancy! I did not know this. @Elkhart I know you don't do PC, but do you know if any of the HP series 2-1s do the same? Or which HP series is decent (not the super high end like Zbook) Thinking maybe this one-there's just so many options... HP Pavilion x360 - 13-u168nr| HP® Official Store
ETA: Or how do I tell if it has key retracting feature
Just so you know, mine is the Lenovo ideapad FLEX 4 :) It has an i7 core and is probably the most durable laptop I've ever had :) It's lasted me 3 years of undergrad and hasn't slowed down 1 bit. I'm going to be able to get through all of vet school with this beast :p

I had a tablet Lenovo Thinkpad in vet school (still have it and it still works great, just spends its time docked mostly) but I now have a Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga460... I like it. Just be sure to get the warranty when you buy it - they come to you and fix it, no mailing your computer off anywhere in the middle of the semester. Worth the $$.

My main machine is a Lenovo ThinkPad running Linux Mint, so... yeah, I guess you could say that I do PC, though I don't use Windows.

Anyway, I'm not very familiar with HP's products, so take this with a grain of salt, but from some cursory googling and glancing at a couple of YouTube videos of the computer that you linked to, it does not look like it has retracting keys. Still, the keyboard looks to be islet style with a pretty flat form factor, so I don't think that it would be much of an issue for you as long as you're careful. Either way, even without a physical mechanism, as long as Windows 10 is running in tablet mode, the OS will completely ignore all keyboard input so you needn't worry about accidentally hitting things while using it as a tablet with default settings (basically what @Miranda Senft already mentioned).

As for cutting down the number of options a bit: Do you want the screen to have an active digitizer and pen input, or just touch? Will you use it for anything other than schoolwork, taking notes, and basic internet browsing? Are you a major multitasker and always have 10+ heavy applications open at once like I tend to (ie. is RAM a concern?)? Do you have a price limit?

These are some basic questions that you can ask yourself to narrow things down a bit.

If you're wanting to stick with HP, I've heard pretty good things regarding the Spectre x360 line and I know for a fact that most (all?) of them come with pen input, which could be useful for OneNote if you're wanting to take notes by hand.

Agree with all of Elkhart's questions, and what I recommend people ask before buying something.

Mixy -- I recently bought the Lenovo X1 Yoga (8th gen i5, 8 gigs RAM, 256 SSD). I freakin' love it. Nothing in Vet school seems to require more than that/the Vet IT department also confirmed that, and I don't actively use any single processor heavy application (hence i5 and not the i7), and I don't crazy multitask between applications (8 gigs RAM can handle 15-20 browser tabs open no problem, while listening to music, and projecting to an external screen -- I'm not video editing, while listening to music, and in the background running lines of code etc, and using excel to run a bank).

The X1 yoga(business line from Lenovo) has the "wave keyboard" functionality -- all the keys recess into the body when I flip the screen 360 and hold the device like a tablet and I really like it. It feels stable and I'm not worried about the keys popping off (they won't, but I still worry), like the Yoga 920 (consumer line) which has a nicer screen and speakers and metallic body, but doesn't have the wave keyboard functionality. Like Elkhart said though, windows 10 diasbles key/trackpad input when in tablet mode. Also, the X1 has a pen in the computer itself which charges while docked (it's on the smaller side and I've read that many people buy another pen from Lenovo that is more beefy (Lenovo Active pen) or a Bamboo (other brand) pen, but it seems fine for me), vs the yoga 920 which you have to keep the pen separately -- similar to the surface pro. If you don't need the 360 ability, there is also the X1 carbon which shaves of a half pound bringing the weight down to 2.5lbs -- you can get that in a regular old laptop version or laptop with touch screen capability (just no 360). So it all depends on what you want/need/would like.

I was previously a mac person but since I can't use the ipad pro with my school's exam software, I had to go windows because I absolutely wanted touch screen with pen capabilities, and the 360 tablet mode was optional. I settled on the X1 Yoga vs the Yoga 920 because of the wave keyboard and internal pen -- also, I really like the classic matte black finish of the entire X1 Thinkpad line. I picked the X1 Yoga over the surface pro, because Lenovo puts their Thinkpad line through a bunch of Mil-SPEC tests (tests durability, ruggedness, reliability -- splashing water, temp extremes, drops etc), and I wanted something I could spray down and wipe off with isopropyl (it's in the manual for the computer, I'm not making this up) after anatomy lab or Z licking it. The surface pro has better battery life, and is lighter -- for sure, but I'm worried about messing up that alcantra fabric keyboard and breaking the pen if it's free floating. Also, using a surface pro that a family member has, I've found that it's hard to use while on the couch/bed as the stand is more conducive to table sitting. I also like having a keyboard with keys that have a little bit more travel in them so I feel like I'm "pressing" the buttons -- the list goes on, but you get it -- it's all personal preference items from here on out. Good luck! Let me know what you end up getting!

Just so you know, mine is the Lenovo ideapad FLEX 4 :) It has an i7 core and is probably the most durable laptop I've ever had :) It's lasted me 3 years of undergrad and hasn't slowed down 1 bit. I'm going to be able to get through all of vet school with this beast :p

Aw yeah! Another vote for Lenovo -- love it!

Agree with all of Elkhart's questions, and what I recommend people ask before buying something.

Mixy -- I recently bought the Lenovo X1 Yoga (8th gen i5, 8 gigs RAM, 256 SSD). I freakin' love it. Nothing in Vet school seems to require more than that/the Vet IT department also confirmed that, and I don't actively use any single processor heavy application (hence i5 and not the i7), and I don't crazy multitask between applications (8 gigs RAM can handle 15-20 browser tabs open no problem, while listening to music, and projecting to an external screen -- I'm not video editing, while listening to music, and in the background running lines of code etc, and using excel to run a bank).

The X1 yoga(business line from Lenovo) has the "wave keyboard" functionality -- all the keys recess into the body when I flip the screen 360 and hold the device like a tablet and I really like it. It feels stable and I'm not worried about the keys popping off (they won't, but I still worry), like the Yoga 920 (consumer line) which has a nicer screen and speakers and metallic body, but doesn't have the wave keyboard functionality. Like Elkhart said though, windows 10 diasbles key/trackpad input when in tablet mode. Also, the X1 has a pen in the computer itself which charges while docked (it's on the smaller side and I've read that many people buy another pen from Lenovo that is more beefy (Lenovo Active pen) or a Bamboo (other brand) pen, but it seems fine for me), vs the yoga 920 which you have to keep the pen separately -- similar to the surface pro. If you don't need the 360 ability, there is also the X1 carbon which shaves of a half pound bringing the weight down to 2.5lbs -- you can get that in a regular old laptop version or laptop with touch screen capability (just no 360). So it all depends on what you want/need/would like.

I was previously a mac person but since I can't use the ipad pro with my school's exam software, I had to go windows because I absolutely wanted touch screen with pen capabilities, and the 360 tablet mode was optional. I settled on the X1 Yoga vs the Yoga 920 because of the wave keyboard and internal pen -- also, I really like the classic matte black finish of the entire X1 Thinkpad line. I picked the X1 Yoga over the surface pro, because Lenovo puts their Thinkpad line through a bunch of Mil-SPEC tests (tests durability, ruggedness, reliability -- splashing water, temp extremes, drops etc), and I wanted something I could spray down and wipe off with isopropyl (it's in the manual for the computer, I'm not making this up) after anatomy lab or Z licking it. The surface pro has better battery life, and is lighter -- for sure, but I'm worried about messing up that alcantra fabric keyboard and breaking the pen if it's free floating. Also, using a surface pro that a family member has, I've found that it's hard to use while on the couch/bed as the stand is more conducive to table sitting. I also like having a keyboard with keys that have a little bit more travel in them so I feel like I'm "pressing" the buttons -- the list goes on, but you get it -- it's all personal preference items from here on out. Good luck! Let me know what you end up getting!

Aw yeah! Another vote for Lenovo -- love it!
My mom has one of the Lenovo yogas and loves it too. My MacBook from 2012 still meets the requirements for my school so I can use that for exams so I just bought an iPad Pro for note taking (bc drawing/writing>>>>typing notes for me) and everything will sync and be consistent throughout all of my devices. If I had needed a new laptop I’m not sure if I would have stuck with Macs unfortunately because of the whole I-need-to-be-able-to-write-on-it thing and potentially would’ve gotten a yoga versus buying a new MacBook AND an iPad (even though I love Mac products dearly and have barely used anything windows since about 2008) but that would’ve been 2-2.5 grand and I’d STILL have to have two different ones versus spending still a decent/similar chunk of money but only having to take one device ever and be able to use it for everything.

Also, using a surface pro that a family member has, I've found that it's hard to use while on the couch/bed as the stand is more conducive to table sitting.
Just adding this is one of the most frustrating things about the surface pro on its own, but for anyone who pops in here and has their heart set on getting one, it's easily fixed with a case. The one I have also has a pen holder.

Surface Pro 3 Case, ProCase Premium Folio Cover Case with Stand for Microsoft Surface Pro 3 (3rd Generation) Tablet (12-Inch) (White/Purple) Amazon product

If I'd had the money I definitely would have sprung for a Lenovo yoga. But at the time I wasn't really looking to replace my laptop, even though that's what I ended up doing. The only time I use my old HP now is when I want dual screens, or sometimes when I'm writing (bigger keyboard is more comfy for longer typing projects).

My mom has one of the Lenovo yogas and loves it too. My MacBook from 2012 still meets the requirements for my school so I can use that for exams so I just bought an iPad Pro for note taking (bc drawing/writing>>>>typing notes for me) and everything will sync and be consistent throughout all of my devices. If I had needed a new laptop I’m not sure if I would have stuck with Macs unfortunately because of the whole I-need-to-be-able-to-write-on-it thing and potentially would’ve gotten a yoga versus buying a new MacBook AND an iPad (even though I love Mac products dearly and have barely used anything windows since about 2008) but that would’ve been 2-2.5 grand and I’d STILL have to have two different ones versus spending still a decent/similar chunk of money but only having to take one device ever and be able to use it for everything.

Exactly. You nailed the spot that I was in perfectly when I was making my choice (my 2010 macbook wasn't cutting it anymore), and I didn't want to get 2 new devices or have to try to lug my old macbook in just for exams etc and hope that it wouldn't freeze mid-exam etc, so I spent a little more for the X1 line -- will last for Vet school and hopefully a couple bonus years -- light (enough that I won't mind walking back and forth between school and Z multiple times a day), good battery, all-in-one capability for typing/anatomy drawing/diagramming, notes and exams in one place and not worrying about syncing.

If I'd had the money I definitely would have sprung for a Lenovo yoga. But at the time I wasn't really looking to replace my laptop, even though that's what I ended up doing. The only time I use my old HP now is when I want dual screens, or sometimes when I'm writing (bigger keyboard is more comfy for longer typing projects).

The keyboard was definitely a factor - all these space saving designs means the keyboards are all changing. It's all butterfly mechanisms and less scissor-style. I definitely would recommend people try out keyboards before purchasing as well. Apparently the older mac keyboard was the holy grail of comfortable typing experiences, seconded by the lenovo thinkpad line. A lot of people have revolted against the new macbook's butterfly keys, "like tapping on a table" etc, and as a male, I usually prefer a full-size keyboard. The X1 keys feels a bit... softer? than my old macbook, but have good travel and spacing, and I'm sure by the time school hits, my WPM will be back to what it was.

Good to know on the case for the surface pro -- I will have to pass it on to ease the netflix watching while travelling issues that usually arise, hahaha!

Also, @StayingPositive2017 -- although getting you to move over to the digital world is tough -- I managed to migrate my physical calendar/tracker over as well. Check out Ink Calendar in Microsoft's App store -- you can use the pen and "write" everything in ;)

Also, @StayingPositive2017 -- although getting you to move over to the digital world is tough -- I managed to migrate my physical calendar/tracker over as well. Check out Ink Calendar in Microsoft's App store -- you can use the pen and "write" everything in ;)

Lol, it's just my note taking that's old school... I'm a Google calendar/Gmail/drive/Dropbox girl too, just love paper notebooks, hate PowerPoint printouts.

Haha, this just proves my point that how you tend to use a computer can make all the difference with how you want to spec it out! My ThinkPad Yoga is basically the top-of-the-line configuration for when I purchased it (i7 Skylake up to 3.10 GHz, 16 GB RAM), and it cost well over $2k with warranty. I still find myself spilling into my swap space sometimes; I almost always run several programs at once, usually consisting of a Firefox window with multiple tabs, vim and gedit for coding, at least one or two terminal windows, and VLC, among other things. And I usually have it in dual monitor setup, too. :p

Still, even if I wasn't a multitasker, I would not want to run anything less than 8 GB RAM nowadays. I know that some computers are still being offered baseline at 4, but that's really pushing it IMO. I can personally compromise on storage space, but not on the RAM.
I agree on the 4 GB RAM thing. I've been using by 2013 MBP all throughout undergrad, but it is starting to feel slow. And I attribute a lot of that to the RAM. Additionally, the trackpad doesn't work so I can only use it with a mouse. I wiped the computer and reinstalled the OS and still have the issue, so it's hardware.

I have pretty much decided upon getting another MBP but I haven't decided whether I'm going to get a refurbed/CL one soon or hold out a few months and see if they release a new model. I'm just too comfortable with the OS to switch, and I never really wrote out notes unless it was a math class or one like organic with a lot of drawing. My school hasn't told us what specs our computers need to have, but said they would be sending out an email (they said this a couple months ago). Will 8 GB of RAM be sufficient or is 16 better? I tend to open a lot of tabs on chrome (but I'm trying to make the switch to firefox), and can use other apps at the same time like spotify, pages, excel, mail, etc. I think 8 gb would be fine for that, but idk. When I'm in class, I pretty much only keep open the application I am using to take notes (any suggestions?) and maybe the mail app. I want this computer to last the 4 yrs of vet school at a minimum. I am thinking of getting the touch bar model just because it comes with a faster processor and more storage. I've considered the 15" also because I am farsighted but I think I would regret that it isn't as portable.

I have pretty much decided upon getting another MBP but I haven't decided whether I'm going to get a refurbed/CL one soon or hold out a few months and see if they release a new model.
if you do get a refurb one, i hiiiiiighly recommend getting a refurb straight from apple because you'll have their warranty and you have the ability to buy applecare too to extend the warranty (which i also recommend)

Haha, this just proves my point that how you tend to use a computer can make all the difference with how you want to spec it out! My ThinkPad Yoga is basically the top-of-the-line configuration for when I purchased it (i7 Skylake up to 3.10 GHz, 16 GB RAM), and it cost well over $2k with warranty. I still find myself spilling into my swap space sometimes; I almost always run several programs at once, usually consisting of a Firefox window with multiple tabs, vim and gedit for coding, at least one or two terminal windows, and VLC, among other things. And I usually have it in dual monitor setup, too. :p

Still, even if I wasn't a multitasker, I would not want to run anything less than 8 GB RAM nowadays. I know that some computers are still being offered baseline at 4, but that's really pushing it IMO. I can personally compromise on storage space, but not on the RAM.

Oh VLC. Does anyone even remember Kazaa/limewire??

I agree on the 4 GB RAM thing. I've been using by 2013 MBP all throughout undergrad, but it is starting to feel slow. And I attribute a lot of that to the RAM. Additionally, the trackpad doesn't work so I can only use it with a mouse. I wiped the computer and reinstalled the OS and still have the issue, so it's hardware.

I have pretty much decided upon getting another MBP but I haven't decided whether I'm going to get a refurbed/CL one soon or hold out a few months and see if they release a new model. I'm just too comfortable with the OS to switch, and I never really wrote out notes unless it was a math class or one like organic with a lot of drawing. My school hasn't told us what specs our computers need to have, but said they would be sending out an email (they said this a couple months ago). Will 8 GB of RAM be sufficient or is 16 better? I tend to open a lot of tabs on chrome (but I'm trying to make the switch to firefox), and can use other apps at the same time like spotify, pages, excel, mail, etc. I think 8 gb would be fine for that, but idk. When I'm in class, I pretty much only keep open the application I am using to take notes (any suggestions?) and maybe the mail app. I want this computer to last the 4 yrs of vet school at a minimum. I am thinking of getting the touch bar model just because it comes with a faster processor and more storage. I've considered the 15" also because I am farsighted but I think I would regret that it isn't as portable.

For what you've listed, you will be fine with 8gb. Mind you, I would have gotten the 16 gigs were it not for the fact that I didn't want to push the $ over 2k. It would have been possible to get a higher spec model if I had gone with the 900 or 700 or Flex yoga series for the same price point, but I didn't want to sacrifice form factor, battery life, weight etc etc so essentially I was paying for the X1 line -- I love touching it ;) There are less options when it comes to Mac, so you will have to shell out if you want the higher specs. 16 gigs (and the i7 processor to a lesser extent) will ensure that your machine can still hack it down the line for a bonus extra couple of years as technologies progress (remember Vista? RAM hog and security issues, so didn't last very long) -- but other components also only last so long (see above where Elk wrote Skylake (and the newer kabylake) -- all good stuff. Samsung's PCLe NVME SSD is a high quality SSD for example -- good reliability and great read/write times etc). Mac's are always well built and so last for many years. Bottom line -- an 8 gig mac should last you the 4 years with what you want to do, 16 if you're feeling fancy. Absolutely no to the 4. [insert kermit meme here -- "go with 8" .... "you know you want the 16, mwahaha"].

if you do get a refurb one, i hiiiiiighly recommend getting a refurb straight from apple because you'll have their warranty and you have the ability to buy applecare too to extend the warranty (which i also recommend)

Double like.

Yes, I would def go through apple! And if I get one on craigslist, I would get one still under warranty or applecare, since it transfers.

I sort of regret showing my Dad a MBP with 16g of ram and a maxed out processor with apple care until 2021 on CL. He ended up getting it for 1700 when it is a 2300 machine without applecare (which adds a couple hundred bucks to the price as well).

Yes, I would def go through apple! And if I get one on craigslist, I would get one still under warranty or applecare, since it transfers.
I would still recommend through Apple themselves just for the piece of mind that they’ve checked it over and it meets their standards, but that’s just me.
And anything that doesn’t come from them could possibly have had an owner repair that voided the warranty, whereas if it’s from Apple, there is absolutely no doubt that it is under warranty and nothing has been done to void that. But that’s just me. :shrug: