New DEA requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anbuitachi

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This sounds like we need 8 hours of opioid CME? Anyone know of good places to do this

Please see the letter which outlines the requirements for training for Medication Assisted Treatment as part of the MATE Act, which was part of the Omnibus Bill at the end of December 2022. DEA was given 90 days to let practitioners know how to meet the MATE Act’s training requirement which is tied to their initial or renewal DEA registration beginning on June 27, 2023. This letter provides the information to the practitioners as to how they can meet those training requirements.

Members don't see this ad.

Should be pretty easy find. State of Florida already requires 2 hours opioid cme every 2 years.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So this is good news right? I can now use a good excuse for not renewing my DEA license. I'll miss writing for Lyrica and Marinol - but not much.

It looks like it should be easy -- especially those of us with multiple licenses and this clause
Past trainings on the treatment and management of patients with opioid or other substance use disorders can count towards a practitioner meeting this requirement. In other words, if you received a relevant training from one of the groups listed below—prior to the enactment of this new training obligation on December 29, 2022—that training counts towards the eight-hour requirement.

State license opioid CME requirements

I used UpToDate CME credits as I looked up specific pain topics and customized my learning ( plus 2 hours of specific course per my state requirement).
Also check out this 10 credit CME offering from BoardVitals:

Reactions: 2 users
It looks like it should be easy -- especially those of us with multiple licenses and this clause

State license opioid CME requirements
So, if I have taken CME over the past 10 years on this topic which exceeds the 8 hour requirement then I meet the DEA letter? Each course was 2 hours of CME but I have taken it many times.

ASA sent me an e mail that they will be offering CME very soon for this requirement. I recommend we wait for the ASA to come out with their 8 hour CME offering. What matters to me is the ease and convenience of the CME.

Reactions: 3 users
So, if I have taken CME over the past 10 years on this topic which exceeds the 8 hour requirement then I meet the DEA letter? Each course was 2 hours of CME but I have taken it many times.
That's what it looks like. I've taken the same CME multiple times for WI (it's been updated each year), and I've taken CME for NM (5h 2x), in addition to AZ, CA, TX so I well exceed their 8 hour requirements. I have enough, that I should be fine I don't want to pay the ASA for opioid CME.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can do the AMA ones for free in less than 30 min. Just take a bunch of quizzes to get your certificates.

This is awesome and thanks for sharing! However, it looks like this CME that was launched just last week is valid only beginning June 27, 2023. Also, doesn’t mention about needing AMA membership as a prerequisite?

For what it's worth, the only requirement is that you check the box saying you've done 8 hours of opioid related CME. Do with that information what you will.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
For what it's worth, the only requirement is that you check the box saying you've done 8 hours of opioid related CME. Do with that information what you will.
Where do we upload or verify that the CME was completed?

The ASA seems to have their own course too…free for members and 12.5 credits. Sort of glad I just renewed my DEA before this went into effect

Another hoop to jump through and a time sucking barrier to be able to do the day to day work. That’s exactly what us physicians need. 🙄

This is awesome and thanks for sharing! However, it looks like this CME that was launched just last week is valid only beginning June 27, 2023. Also, doesn’t mention about needing AMA membership as a prerequisite?

I just did it and not problem, got the certificates. Fast free and easy.

The ASA one is a nice free 12.5 hours of regular CME as well as meeting the DEA requirement.

The AMA website is useful. The video modules can easily be sidestepped and just take the quiz. Very quick.
Yep I just did the quizzes repeatedly until I figured out which was the right answer and got the credit for it 😂