New Dental school, free admission?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

queen_raychel

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I am a long time lurker and this is my first thread! Anyways do you guys think the Woody L. Hunt Dental School will be tuition free for the first class? I know a lot of Med schools offer free tuition for the first class but do dental schools do this too? I am a Texas Resident and will be graduating Spring 2020. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I do not think so. It is highly unlikely.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What the hell is Woody L Hunt Dental school

The Dental School Texas has been building for the past few years..

Highly unlikely to give free tuition since they have to pay for all the equipment they installed. Dental Schools are more expensive to run then a medical school. Med students also care about rank way more, so a lot of them would be nervous to be the first class in a new med school

Hey guys I am a long time lurker and this is my first thread! Anyways do you guys think the Woody L. Hunt Dental School will be tuition free for the first class? I know a lot of Med schools offer free tuition for the first class but do dental schools do this too? I am a Texas Resident and will be graduating Spring 2020. Thanks in advance.
Yeah it definitely won't be tution free lol.

What the hell is Woody L Hunt Dental school

d18c9de7.gif

The one in El Paso?
My only quelm about this school is....how are they going to ensure those students will actually stay and practice in the area?
Something tells me a class of mid 20s Doctoral students will likely want to practice in the metros of Austin, Dallas, etc..
Imo, they should've attached a scholarship/practice aspect to enrollment in this new class...Admission, half tuition or more covered...practice in El Paso for 3 years or so...
Wishful thinking, I know...

Reactions: 1 user
The one in El Paso?
My only quelm about this school is....how are they going to ensure those students will actually stay and practice in the area?
Something tells me a class of mid 20s Doctoral students will likely want to practice in the metros of Austin, Dallas, etc..
Imo, they should've attached a scholarship/practice aspect to enrollment in this new class...Admission, half tuition or more covered...practice in El Paso for 3 years or so...
Wishful thinking, I know...
I agree that many will return to their hometowns. But I have a feeling that many will also get used to the idea of being in that region of the state. The prospects of setting up shop in areas with little competition, lower cost of living, and a larger revenue stream will entice others to stay.

I agree that many will return to their hometowns. But I have a feeling that many will also get used to the idea of being in that region of the state. The prospects of setting up shop in areas with little competition, lower cost of living, and a larger revenue stream will entice others to stay.

I have a family member in Austin who is a dentist. She's been one for 3 years now and only works part-time (she can't find a full-time position). I feel like Tx has an oversaturation of dentist in some areas? I almost feel like it's easier to get into DS in TX because they have schools that only accept TS residents.

I have a family member in Austin who is a dentist. She's been one for 3 years now and only works part-time (she can't find a full-time position). I feel like Tx has an oversaturation of dentist in some areas? I almost feel like it's easier to get into DS in TX because they have schools that only accept TS residents.

I wouldn't necessarily say its "Easier". I believe the average gpa for my entering class was like a 3.7 or so. But its very obvious that in state folk have a huge advantage-that's just how state funding is set up for our educational institutions.
But I will agree that there are some portions of the state that are just very popular for young professionals...No matter what profession or specialty you choose, there has to be a distribution of providers in various regions. Everyone cannot practice in River Oaks or right in the middle of Austin. There are nice suburbs and surrounding areas around those metros where one could still make a healthy living.

They have in-state advantage, no doubt. I'm okay with that, but I wish ALL states were like that, or NONE of them were like that.

People who live in OOS friendly schools or don't have a dental school do not have this advantage and have commit even harder for their instate seat or have to trry harder for an OOS seat. While applicants who come an in-state preference state, have high chances in their own state and some chance out of state.

Oh well, 'tis life. If I worried often about all the unfair things in life, I would never get anything done. I think everyone can agree the system isn't fair to some, but we just learn to accept it and work harder.

Also Texas is oversaturated in some places and highly unsaturated in others. Why do you think the new dental school was approved? All of botched jobs from Mexico caused worry... they don't sterilize their equipment down there. They just wash them... at the locations known for dentistry tourism. (Not saying all of Mexico is like this)

They have in-state advantage, no doubt. I'm okay with that, but I wish ALL states were like that, or NONE of them were like that.

People who live in OOS friendly schools or don't have a dental school do not have this advantage and have commit even harder for their instate seat or have to trry harder for an OOS seat. While applicants who come an in-state preference state, have high chances in their own state and some chance out of state.

Oh well, 'tis life. If I worried often about all the unfair things in life, I would never get anything done. I think everyone can agree the system isn't fair to some, but we just learn to accept it and work harder.

Also Texas is oversaturated in some places and highly unsaturated in others. Why do you think the new dental school was approved? All of botched jobs from Mexico caused worry... they don't sterilize their equipment down there. They just wash them... at the locations known for dentistry tourism. (Not saying all of Mexico is like this)

Make the playing field even. I feel you. But then they'd have to make the playing field even for clinical boards too. Like, why is the Florida exam and Delaware exam more strenous than other states? Delaware has higher fee schedules and better compensation...Florida...vacation state...etc. Dentists from other parts of the country have historically had a very difficult time getting licensed in those states..Then again, I'll in support of a national clinical board exam..
For people to stop going across the border for dental care though, the prices at the dental school level will have to be competitive. My program did not accept any insurance-it was cash, credit, debit; and if the patient didn't have it, then tough luck.
So, some people with limited funds are willing to take the risk to go across the border due to finances. I'm hoping the new school will curb this situation,but that remains to be seen.

Make the playing field even. I feel you. But then they'd have to make the playing field even for clinical boards too. Like, why is the Florida exam and Delaware exam more strenous than other states? Delaware has higher fee schedules and better compensation...Florida...vacation state...etc. Dentists from other parts of the country have historically had a very difficult time getting licensed in those states..Then again, I'll in support of a national clinical board exam..
For people to stop going across the border for dental care though, the prices at the dental school level will have to be competitive. My program did not accept any insurance-it was cash, credit, debit; and if the patient didn't have it, then tough luck.
So, some people with limited funds are willing to take the risk to go across the border due to finances. I'm hoping the new school will curb this situation,but that remains to be seen.

That'll be golden. Why does medicine get this, but not dentistry? I would actively try to change that in my life time... state residency for dental school, I won't go there since state laws are so different for education. Plus with funding, I can understand why these laws are so.

Actually being board certified though, I think everyone can agree that you should expect to get the same quality of care in all 50 states... so why can't you expect one license for all of them? I honestly don't know why this can't happen for dentistry since medicine has had it for decades.

That'll be golden. Why does medicine get this, but not dentistry? I would actively try to change that in my life time... state residency for dental school, I won't go there since state laws are so different for education. Plus with funding, I can understand why these laws are so.

Actually being board certified though, I think everyone can agree that you should expect to get the same quality of care in all 50 states... so why can't you expect one license for all of them? I honestly don't know why this can't happen for dentistry since medicine has had it for decades.
The licensure thing is extremely complicated and dates back all the way to 1926... but it could possibly be coming to an end soon with the ADA creating a licensing exam (although it is still up to individual states to adopt it as an initial pathway to licensure):

ADA Board of Trustees votes to create national dental licensure exam

Not easier in TX, the competition is comparable. The application is pool is smaller, but there are less seats.
Austin is a major city that is very attractive to the young crowd. It is not surprising she is having a tough time finding work. However, she has an active Texas dental license, so she has the freedom to move anywhere in the state. There are plenty of places that are underserved, and areas where she can do very well financially.

This is just another business venture for Mr.Hunt. They call it a donation. It's most likely an investment. Dental schools are profitable now. It's no secret, and as long as the government distributes loans Willy-nilly, and there are plenty of applicants, there will be more dental schools opening.

This is just another business venture for Mr.Hunt. They call it a donation. It's most likely an investment. Dental schools are profitable now. It's no secret, and as long as the government distributes loans Willy-nilly, and there are plenty of applicants, there will be more dental schools opening.
Yep. The school is definitely not opening because of some type of "shortage" lol

texas tech is broke as hell relative to a&m and texas, not a chance that they are going to waive tuition