New DO School in SC - Virginia College of Osteopathic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emno

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

I heared somewhere that Virginia College of Osteopathic Medicine is opening a new campus in spartanburg, SC.

Any one have more details on this?
will tehy be accepting application for South Carolina Campus starting in coming June, 2010?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I think there was a thread on this already - I know that there is one under the "school specific" section.

In short, they will be accepting applications for the class of 2015 (or so it is planned, I believe).

It will be built of chocolate and rainbows, and the professors will all be former Baywatch cast members...

www.google.com
Enter: VCOM Spartanburg
Press enter button
read what is on page.

Members don't see this ad :)
The only downpart.... it's in Spartanburg. :thumbdown:

The only downpart.... it's in Spartanburg. :thumbdown:

Didn't know SC had an "upside"!

I'm only kidding, Spartenburg isnt that bad except for the god awful town of Pickens that is close

My vote was for VCOM-Myrtle Beach.:rolleyes:

oh jeez.... the traffic alone makes this sound horrible haha....

VCOM-Charlotte or VCOM-Columbia would have been kind of nice... Spartanburg is an odd place for a medical school to pop up. On the bright side, I-85 runs straight through Spartanburg, which makes the school a short drive from Charlotte and Atlanta...

anyone of you guys thinking of applying

They are on my list. I really like the school, but wasn't too excited about VA. I was very happy when I learned they would be opening a branch campus in SC.

anyone of you guys thinking of applying

vcom- hilton head would've been my preference if it had to be SC

It seem like the VA school would be much better...More of a college town....

Members don't see this ad :)
I like it the way it is.
will the candidates from SC will have any advantages in application process or FEE etc?

whats wrong with the city of spartansburg? just outta curiousity

Spartanburg is country

it could be worse. spartanburg-greenville is a decent area. the bi-lo center attracts pretty good concerts. asheville is only about 45 minutes away and is a treat.

it could be worse. spartanburg-greenville is a decent area. the bi-lo center attracts pretty good concerts. asheville is only about 45 minutes away and is a treat.

I live in Asheville now its where I go to school. It's not that bad of a town for a more older crowd. Asheville is by no means a College town. Asheville is home to the most "retired" ceo's in the country. Ashevile/Builtmore/Hendersonville area has become a retirement community. But I guess the average age of 22-24 (just a guess) is still to young for Asheville to have any major advantages.

On a side not I thought UNC-C was supposed to be getting a Medical School and the same for Asheville and Greensboro. Also why isnt Mission on the rotation list? Isnt it the biggest hospital in the area?

I live in Asheville now its where I go to school. It's not that bad of a town for a more older crowd. Asheville is by no means a College town. Asheville is home to the most "retired" ceo's in the country. Ashevile/Builtmore/Hendersonville area has become a retirement community. But I guess the average age of 22-24 (just a guess) is still to young for Asheville to have any major advantages.

On a side not I thought UNC-C was supposed to be getting a Medical School and the same for Asheville and Greensboro. Also why isnt Mission on the rotation list? Isnt it the biggest hospital in the area?

It'd made sense for UNC-C to get a medical school, but it'd be ridiculously hard to start one for several reasons...

Mainly I think its because Chapel Hill basically sits on top of Carolinas Medical Center. They already use it to rotate their 3rd and 4th years and I believe they plan to use it as a type of branch campus in the future.

Charlotte really only has one big hospital (maybe 2 if you consider Presbyterian a major hospital), which is strange considering Atlanta has like 3, and Raleigh has like 3 as well..... we're just not that suited for a medical school unless we built stand-alone.

I am currently on the waiting list for this year for VCOM. But if there is not enough movement on the list then I have automatic acceptance. However, I get to choose between VA or SC campus. And I am stuck on which I should pick?!? I love SC, and would like to go there. But there are classes above you that may offer you advice at VA campus, the teachers are better known at VA, brand new teachers at SC, etc. I am just wondering what would be best for the learning aspect instead of location. What all do you think? Where would you choose?

Interesting--hadn't heard of this one. IMO it's a great idea. SC has no DO school and the upstate badly needs a medical school. In fact for a long time I've thought there should be a PA program up there--perhaps if the DO program gets up and running there will be an impetus to also train PAs. There's LOTS of rural/underserved areas a short distance from the GSP area and a definite need.

Spartanburg Regional Health System is large and already serves as a training site for many residencies. Greenville has M3s & M4s from USC SOM (MD) and well-reputed residency programs also.

In fact, it's a very pretty area and culturally interesting. And IMO getting closer to Asheville can't hurt either.

Guys, please don't comment on the Upstate of SC unless you've lived or visited (extensively). It's really an undiscovered gem (anybody ever seen Greenville's downtown? - it's the envy of many cities in the country - one trip to Falls Park on the Reedy and you will want to move here immediately). And, yes, we are only 45 minutes from Asheville/Hendersonville - mountains over 3000 feet are less than 30 minutes away.

By the way, GHS and USC School of Medicine (Columbia) will collaborate and open a new medical school - proposed first class Fall 2012.

In two years, the Upstate with have 2 medical schools.

Guys, please don't comment on the Upstate of SC unless you've lived or visited (extensively). It's really an undiscovered gem (anybody ever seen Greenville's downtown? - it's the envy of many cities in the country - one trip to Falls Park on the Reedy and you will want to move here immediately). And, yes, we are only 45 minutes from Asheville/Hendersonville - mountains over 3000 feet are less than 30 minutes away.

By the way, GHS and USC School of Medicine (Columbia) will collaborate and open a new medical school - proposed first class Fall 2012.

relax. the upstate is a decent place. its much better suited for people who are ready to settle down. it is not so great for low-mid 20s.

Does anybody know why Mission Hospital isn't a rotational site for VCOM? isn't it bigger than GHS? Or is it that only 1 school can rotate at a hospital at one time? I know UNC students can rotate at mission.

I like it the way it is.
will the candidates from SC will have any advantages in application process or FEE etc?

I sure do hope so!

Spartanburg isn't as um....pulled together, if you will, as Greenville or Columbia, and certainly not as well as Charleston, but it beats Anderson, Greenwood, or any other of ****ty counties that SC is so abundant of.

Anyway the idea of a DO school opening up here is fantastic!!! :D