New EM intern. Whats a good book to study radiology from?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lucid_interval

PERC my SOFA HEART
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Enough to make your own intrepretation of images instead of waiting for official reads

Members don't see this ad.

Good question.
I remember a website that was good for this.

"Aunt Minnie" something radiology.

It will come to me. Gimme a bit.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Accident and Emergency Radiology.

Beyond that, just look at your own scans, correlate the read by radiologist on your own and see if you can find the pathology, especially for CTs.

Other than head CTs, which I think are relatively easier, the other CTs definitely take some practice.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I used Accident and Emergency Radiology too. This was good for plain films.

For CTs - I used an app called something like "A night in the ED" (years ago, hopefully still around). This was really good for identifying appys, sbo's, all sorts of bread and butter ED stuff.

do these 2 things and you'll feel much more confident. You may even occasionally pick up findings radiologists miss (we're all human).

using a systematic approach to reading CTs can be helpful. Here's mine for abdomen / abdominal pain (perhaps I got this from the app?):

base of lungs /heart. liver. gb. pancreas, duodenum, stomach, spleen. adrenals. kidneys. follow the aorta down. bladder. uterus?. rectum. trace large intestine to cecum. appendix. gross look at small intestines. And of course, look where the pain is.

this quick read takes about a minute or so with some practice.

pro tip --> walk patients through benign scans to help with discharge and reassurance.

Learning radiology from a book is like trying to learn how to ride a bike from a book. The only problem is that most formal radiology teaching is like trying to learn how to write a novel by watching JK Rowling type on a computer.

There are a number of sites out there that have tutorials on cross-sectional imaging. You should know the anatomy already, but review what it looks like on CT. Perhaps a quick review of the MRI that is actually ordered from the ED. Keep in mind what radiologists care about is not what we care about.

What you need to know from a practical point of view is the stuff that needs to be acted upon before the read comes in; from a legal point of view you need to know the stuff that is so obvious anyone should be able to pick it up. "The overnight radiologist read this forearm series as normal, but the arm is missing from the elbow on down!"

Your cases should provide the best teaching. Look at the imaging, look at the interpretation. If there is something that doesn't make sense, ask about it. If you are at a place where the rads immediately throw you out the door, you picked a bad residency. Do your homework first so you don't come across as a complete fool,

"This was read as a normal on CT, and the clinical course showed it was not appendicitis, but it sure looks like an inflamed appendix to me."

"Ahh yes, this is a rare combination, you have the normal anatomic variant of ....., combined with an artifact of ..... to make it look like that. Don't worry, you will likely never see this combination again in your life."

I've got a few in my collection:

Amazon product

Amazon product

Amazon product

A couple others that I can't seem to put my hands on at the moment.

Plus, several ultrasound related ones.

All were useful, but as others have said...the best learning is on the job. You try to interpret the study, read the radiology report, then go back and see what you missed. For CT's especially...don't forget your sagittal and coronal planes. I struggled identifying the appendix for many years using axial images alone until I started using sagittal and coronal to help find the damn thing and low and behold...there it was. Same for PE's. You don't need to read any books to be honest, just follow the method above. Sooner or later, you get pretty proficient at basic reading. The absolute worst thing you can do for yourself is rely on the radiology report during residency without attempting to interpret your own scans. You need to build up pattern recognition and that can only be done through study analysis.

Don’t buy books, you won’t use them! Do this course. You will be better than most of your peers and even many attendings at accurately interpreting imaging. I did the 3 month access in the last year of my residency and it was more than sufficient to watch all the videos a few times. Probably one of the most high yield resources I have used in general.