New Grads becoming Managers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CountBy5s

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious how often new graduates are offered Pharmacy Manager positions right after graduating?

Comments? Thoughts? Experience?

Members don't see this ad.

a lot...just depending on the need. We had a couple that just got licensed 6-10 months ago becoming RXMs because the staff rphs at those stores didn't want to take it.

I wouldn't right away. I became one about 5 months in. I learned a lot as a staff and picking up shifts and learning what other stores do good and bad. My decision to become one was one of the best I've made so far. Yeah, you deal with a little extra crap here and there but it's manageable as long as you train your staff. I got over $7/hr raise from it. So imo learn for about 5-7 months and then jump into it especially at CVS. Learn every metric and how you want to accomplish it, that way when you become a RX manager you are already ahead of the curve. I am at target at every single metric now. I don't think I could accomplish that if I became Manager day 1 with all the other responsibilities.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
When it comes to manager openings you should ask at least 20 questions. Most of time the field manager has no other options. If there's an opening, why did the manager quit? What is the script volume? What are your RPH and tech hours? Why won't the staff pharmacists step up? Is there even a staff pharmacist? How experienced are the techs? Where is it located? What % scripts go through Medicaid? Controlled substance script volume? So on and so forth.

Reactions: 4 users
ive never really seen it happen at the busy stores

There are three manager positions open up in my district and none of the staff wants it. New grads take the job because they don't know any better and that's the only job they have an offer for. They get maybe $3-5 more (sometimes only $1 more lol). License on the line, scheduling, due dates, compliance, setting rules, training/firing/discipline you techs, complaints resolution, flu shot/crap metrics bound and all that. There are a LOT of staffs making more than managers/sup/DM including me for none of that crap. All you have to do as staff is show up and verify. Pick an extra shifts or two a month or stay a little late. Top that off with discipline investing and frugal living you can out earn AND out save most of pharmacy bosses income quite handily.

The only reason I recommend someone to be a manager if they want to climb the corporate ladder to be a VP or higher.

Reactions: 6 users
Lots of good info. Thanks for the input.

It is in a catch 22 situation. Take it and it could be a steep learning curve or dont take it and get overlooked for even staff positions at halfway decent stores.

The location is closer to home, hours are great, and it is a slower volume store. Definitely better than floating in the highest volume stores.

Just not sure of the details on tech hours , but the senior tech is really good. the staff rph either doesn't want the job or they don't want the staff rph to have it.

decisions can be difficult. : /

isn't it easier to get fired as manager? i mean... given all the extra responsibilities and such. Unless one is highly experienced, prior management (non-pharmacy or something before attending pharmd school)...strong leadership skills...

also... don't they get chewed out by district managers a lot for not meeting metrics and such??

Reactions: 2 users
Except for gross negligence or theft I am not even sure it is possible to get fired.
what?!?!?!? I know our local CVS's fired a lot - came up with some BS solution - just google Jay Barefoot CVS letter often posted here

also... don't they get chewed out by district managers a lot for not meeting metrics and such??

No, you get motivational speeches (and this is real talk) about how we can be so much better and by meeting these metrics, we are changing lives and making a HUGE impact on people's lives.

So the motivational speech I got for flu season is by driving the flu vaccine, I'm impacting lives by leading them to better health (the entire speech was actually 30 minutes lol).

Reactions: 1 users
CVS will do it if they can't fill the spot but usually they at least let them float for a month or so to make sure that they aren't a total train wreck. I know some that made it to DM within a year... I have no idea how... I can only presume they had family connections or something but who knows.

Members don't see this ad :)
CVS will do it if they can't fill the spot but usually they at least let them float for a month or so to make sure that they aren't a total train wreck. I know some that made it to DM within a year... I have no idea how... I can only presume they had family connections or something but who knows.
A lot of people are just scared to move up. They are just comfortable being staff and getting paid less and not being responsible for metrics. Just go in, verify, answer a few phone calls and call it a day. Not everyone can be a manager. You can't be a egg head. You need people skills. Not only with your techs but patients as well. You have to build and manage a team. You want to be a successful store then you need to be a leader. So at CVS it's easy to move up. You can become a Sup within a couple of years if you have your mind set on it and you know what you're doing

Any suggestions on how to say "no" if asked to be a manager? I am a new grad and just floating and feel like I could be asked to be a manager sooner rather than later since there seems to be a need in my area. Don't want to get on my district manager's bad side or anything but honestly I'd like to float for a while and if possible a staff position down the line.

Except for gross negligence or theft I am not even sure it is possible to get fired.

Unfortunately, up until recently I would have thought the same. This year there have been two pharmacists managers I have known where the DM/pharmacist supervisor simply came up with cvs company policy 'violations' looking for a reason to get rid of them for underperforming.

If people want to get rid of you, they'll find a way. It doesn't even matter if you work in a **** store (thus harder to replace)

If people want to get rid of you, they'll find a way. It doesn't even matter if you work in a **** store (thus harder to replace)

Sadly true, especially with the market becoming increasingly saturated and CVS acquiring Target pharmacies.

what?!?!?!? I know our local CVS's fired a lot - came up with some BS solution - just google Jay Barefoot CVS letter often posted here
'
You have one e-mail from 2014 from a ***** DM, and this is CVS policy? You are being a little silly. They have a disciplinary policy and you will not be fired for one complaint.

When you start getting written up you know you're on the hit list.

I think it's ok for a new grad to be PIC if they have completed a community practice residency and they are a member of Rho Chi. That kind of academic achievement is equivalent to at least 10 years real world experience.

Reactions: 5 users
'
You have one e-mail from 2014 from a ***** DM, and this is CVS policy? You are being a little silly. They have a disciplinary policy and you will not be fired for one complaint.

Every company has a disciplinary policy to protect themselves. It doesn't mean jack when it is not being followed and enforced.

Why do you think CVS has settled so many employment lawsuits? You think management give a damn? It is just the cost of doing business.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Can't speak about cvs, but Walgreens will not fire a pharmacist unless the disciplinary steps are followed.

That doesnt mean they won't speed up the process though and you don't do anything stupid.

The thing is if you look hard enough you can find a reason to write up any pharmacist in the country multiple times, so even when following their own policy they can still fire anyone that they want. E.g. Have more than 1 batch printed at a time? Not following production safety protocol.

Jay Barefoot is still working for CVS. He probably got a promotion after that email:

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySDN1473088601.751078.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySDN1473088601.751078.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 97
Jay Barefoot is still working for CVS. He probably got a promotion after that email:

Looks like his picture was taken in the pharmacy? Grounds for termination

The thing is if you look hard enough you can find a reason to write up any pharmacist in the country multiple times, so even when following their own policy they can still fire anyone that they want. E.g. Have more than 1 batch printed at a time? Not following production safety protocol.
So true. Nobody follows the policy all the time. If they want to fire you, trust me they will find a lot of reasons

Thanks for the advice and humor. I decided not to take the position for many reason, including many mentioned in this thread. I had many red flags about this offer, so I am following my instincts and steering clear.

Why would anybody want to be a Pharmacy Manager. Ever!!!! I like freedom and a Goodnights sleep...

Why would anybody want to be a Pharmacy Manager. Ever!!!! I like freedom and a Goodnights sleep...
I still get a good nights sleep. You get higher pay by 5-$7 and bonuses that are bigger. What seperates RX managers is how you train your staff. If you have techs that don't respond cut them. Hire new techs and mold them. Instill a strong presence. Work hard with your staff so they realize if **** isn't getting done when you are not there you'll cut. Some techs love to play substitute teacher day when it's a floater or a weak pharmacist who doesn't like to tell the staff anything.
I went under hours and short staffed myself to let the bad techs know i'm not messing around. I'd rather be short staffed and everyone working hard than have 1-2 people who just stare at the ceiling of their phone. Don't be afraid to cut their hours and then complain they have payments. They didn't give a **** when they were working so I don't either. Also, REWARD your good techs. They make your life easier.

Pay does depend on where you start (location does matter). I got paid 3 bucks less and 2 bucks more last two stints.

I do enjoy the part where techs bitch and moan about their hours and then all of a sudden they get none

I think it's ok for a new grad to be PIC if they have completed a community practice residency and they are a member of Rho Chi. That kind of academic achievement is equivalent to at least 10 years real world experience.

i don't think Rho Chi makes a difference. i have a friend who was in Rho Chi, excellent student, hard working, and stay after hours to finish the job. but everyday she comes home with teary eyes. she was a staff. everyday she looks for and apply for jobs elsewhere b/c she keeps crying coming home from work. her Rho Chi and other organizations that she joined never amounted to anything. ......// community practice residency? what in the world is that? who would go an extra year of residency, take a huge pay cut, and not aim for hospitals or clinicals?

i don't think Rho Chi makes a difference. i have a friend who was in Rho Chi, excellent student, hard working, and stay after hours to finish the job. but everyday she comes home with teary eyes. she was a staff. everyday she looks for and apply for jobs elsewhere b/c she keeps crying coming home from work. her Rho Chi and other organizations that she joined never amounted to anything. ......// community practice residency? what in the world is that? who would go an extra year of residency, take a huge pay cut, and not aim for hospitals or clinicals?

I think the original message was sarcasm.

You are both correct. Those organization where everybody gets together and pats each other on the back, and passout awards to congratulate each other for other awards they received. All just a bunch of box checking ego types, with no substance to back it up.

Employers might hire them to be their "Yes, man" and dump tons of extra work on them. You know they will do it!!

Instill a strong presence. Some techs love to play substitute teacher day when it's a floater or a weak pharmacist who doesn't like to tell the staff anything..[/QUOTE]

100% true.. I've had techs do this to me. I just start asking them to get busy, answer the phone, type etc. For me once is usually enough. I don't have many problems but I have seen even staff get walked over by techs being lazy.

If you complete a PGY2 you will be equivalent of a 20 year vet and can start preparing for early retirement.

Reactions: 2 users
Maybe she should have presented more posters, then she would be really qualified.
I still get a good nights sleep. You get higher pay by 5-$7 and bonuses that are bigger. What seperates RX managers is how you train your staff. If you have techs that don't respond cut them. Hire new techs and mold them. Instill a strong presence. Work hard with your staff so they realize if **** isn't getting done when you are not there you'll cut. Some techs love to play substitute teacher day when it's a floater or a weak pharmacist who doesn't like to tell the staff anything.
I went under hours and short staffed myself to let the bad techs know i'm not messing around. I'd rather be short staffed and everyone working hard than have 1-2 people who just stare at the ceiling of their phone. Don't be afraid to cut their hours and then complain they have payments. They didn't give a **** when they were working so I don't either. Also, REWARD your good techs. They make your life easier.

There's a guy in my class who wants to do a community residency. I thought having to do a residency to work in a hospital was a scam but this is just stupidity.

I've always liked leadership positions, but I never want to be a manager at big chains for few reasons. First, it's really hard to manage when you don't have the company's support, floaters coming in doing not much and leaving, techs and pharmacy staff going on fake stress leaves, and hard to fire individuals that don't meet competency. However I have seen new grads accepting manager positions. A lot depends on your specific store and the staff that already works there. In my opinion management is not a big deal in retail world and I don't recommend it.