New here :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Velvette

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I believe I am considered to be non-traditional so I came here. I'm a 22 y o married female with an 8 month old baby girl. I have approximately 30 credit hours towards a degree with an embarassing GPA. I did so well in high school (ie salutatorian, NHS, Robotics, etc) but became involved with a guy in a bad relationship and I let it effect my schooling. I know I messed up but I'm determined to fix it and become a doctor. As of this August, it will have been 2 years since I've taken a college course. In that 2 year span, I married the most supportive man ever, had my beautiful daughter, got my CNA and matured a lot.

As of right now, I work at my local hospital as a CNA, but I'm trying to figure out what I all need to do to make my dream come true. I've heard that working in the medical field is a plus. What about other things I can get a head start on? Are there some things I should wait on? Is there anything yall didn't do early on that you wish you did? I'm pretty lost on what I need to do so any info is GREATLY appreciated :)

~Tiff

Members don't see this ad.

The only advice I can give you is something a med student at OSUCOM said to me during a open house they had recently and that is ; If this is something you know in your heart you really want to do, then don't let anyone put you off your goal. The work will be hard especially for us non-trads but do something every day to get into medschool. Look at a few MCAT questions, go to a favorite schools web site to learn about them, talk to experianced people on SDN but do something everyday to keep your goal fresh and in the forefront of your mind. Don't be fooled, this is a life altering journy you've started, with a finish line that seems forever away, but before you know it with the right attitude and hard work you'll be taking the MCAT and sending in applications. Good luck.

Velvette said:
I believe I am considered to be non-traditional so I came here. I'm a 22 y o married female with an 8 month old baby girl. I have approximately 30 credit hours towards a degree with an embarassing GPA. I did so well in high school (ie salutatorian, NHS, Robotics, etc) but became involved with a guy in a bad relationship and I let it effect my schooling. I know I messed up but I'm determined to fix it and become a doctor. As of this August, it will have been 2 years since I've taken a college course. In that 2 year span, I married the most supportive man ever, had my beautiful daughter, got my CNA and matured a lot.

As of right now, I work at my local hospital as a CNA, but I'm trying to figure out what I all need to do to make my dream come true. I've heard that working in the medical field is a plus. What about other things I can get a head start on? Are there some things I should wait on? Is there anything yall didn't do early on that you wish you did? I'm pretty lost on what I need to do so any info is GREATLY appreciated :)

~Tiff

begin taking the pre-reqs, space them out over a few years, make it easy on yourself, just do your best in them.......get siked about them, U can do it!
SUPPORT SUPPORT SUPPORT!!!! take it where ever you can get it, esp from family,,,,,,look at the primary task at hand, not where you are going to go to med school, or even how your going to get through the next level of your pre-med classes. One class at a time.One day at a time, your 22 you have So much time

trust me u can do it :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
That light you see at the end of the tunnel? It's really the end of the tunnel and not a locomotive rushing towards you.

MSc44 said:
begin taking the pre-reqs, space them out over a few years, make it easy on yourself, just do your best in them.......get siked about them, U can do it!
SUPPORT SUPPORT SUPPORT!!!! take it where ever you can get it, esp from family,,,,,,look at the primary task at hand, not where you are going to go to med school, or even how your going to get through the next level of your pre-med classes. One class at a time.One day at a time, your 22 you have So much time

trust me u can do it :thumbup:

I plan on taking 1 class this fall (gen chem) at my cc b/c I can't afford to go back to UNF just yet. I assume it is better to do classes at UNF vs my cc but I have to wait until I become tuition reimbursment eligible at my job to afford it. But, hey its a start :)

ekydrd said:
That light you see at the end of the tunnel? It's really the end of the tunnel and not a locomotive rushing towards you.

I need to remember that whenever I feel lost.

blaze1306 said:
The only advice I can give you is something a med student at OSUCOM said to me during a open house they had recently and that is ; If this is something you know in your heart you really want to do, then don't let anyone put you off your goal. The work will be hard especially for us non-trads but do something every day to get into medschool. Look at a few MCAT questions, go to a favorite schools web site to learn about them, talk to experianced people on SDN but do something everyday to keep your goal fresh and in the forefront of your mind. Don't be fooled, this is a life altering journy you've started, with a finish line that seems forever away, but before you know it with the right attitude and hard work you'll be taking the MCAT and sending in applications. Good luck.

Thank you!

Velvette said:
I plan on taking 1 class this fall (gen chem) at my cc b/c I can't afford to go back to UNF just yet. I assume it is better to do classes at UNF vs my cc but I have to wait until I become tuition reimbursment eligible at my job to afford it. But, hey its a start :)
Hey just do a few clasess at a time at the community college level that you need. You can do all your prereqs there and then do upper level classes at UNF. You only have 30 credits so getting that GPA will be cinch if you do well over the next 90! You are young enough where you can take your time to get your degree then apply to med school. You could even take some intro classes at your cc such as pyschology, sociology, english to get your "intro classes" done and over with. I would suggest talking to an advisor at your school about what you want to do and at what pace. Or even someone at UNF. The good thing about college these days is some classes are online. I love the online sociology and poly sci classes!!! Good luck and feel free to ask any questions you might have!