New Here

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dman91

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys and girls :)

I'm new here. I had a few questions and would be very grateful if you could answer me.

I'm in my second year of dentistry in my home country of Iraq. I want to leave Iraq after I finish college and migrate to either to the united states or united kingdom. I need to take some exams before I can practice dentistry in both countries, NBDE for the united states and ORE or UK. my questions are :

1) Can I take the exams while I'm in college so I can leave right after I finish school here, because we study most of the subjects for NBDE 1 in the second year and some the third year, so I would prefer to take NBDE part 1 when I'm finished with my third year when my information's are still fresh, or do I have to get my degree and then apply for the exams?

2) If I go to the US do I have to apply for a dental school and study 2 years after I finished NBDE 1 or do I study the 2 years after NBDE 2?

3) I saw a lot of students complain about there live in dental school because they don't have time for themselves and stuff, I was wondering how many hours do you have to study in order to pass or get a good score ( I know it varies from person to person but approximately? )

4) Is NBDE my first step toward becoming a dentist in the states beside taking the TOFEL or is there anything else that I have to do before that?

5) I searched the net a lot to find some info's about the ORE exam in the UK but I didn't find much about it, any info you guys know would be very appreciated. I found out its two parts a writing part and a clinical part, but there wasn't anything like the NBDE were you do the basic subjects first and then take the more advanced stuff that have to do with dentistry, I was wondering what the subjects are for that exam.

I know its a little early to think about the time when I'm finished but I just wanted to have some info's

Thanks very much in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Dman 91
It's nice to see an Iraqi dental student here.:)
I'm an Iraqi dentist graduated from Baghdad university and I am a permanent resident here in USA. I'm doing NBDE 1 right know and I will try to answer your questions:

1- You can't apply to the exam while you are still a student in dental college. You have to get your degree first because you can't apply to the exam till you have the ECE report for your degree which is the main requirement to apply for NBDE through ADA.

2-The NBDE 1 or 2 are just requirements to apply to the advanced standing program for foreign trained dentists. Some of these programs ask for NBDE 1 and others ask for booth (NBDE 1&2) but also these exams are requirements to get your license after graduation, So you have to take them booth anyway. So, the first step is to take NBDE 1 ( and 2 if you would like to increase your chance for acceptance) then apply to the program.

3- The study in dental school here in usa is not that difficult ( especially for Iraqi students because we use the same language of studying and approximately the same curriculum) but anyway you need to dedicate most of your time for studding but I think it will be easier for you because you already studied the subjects.

4- To become a dentist in USA you need:

a. Your dental degree (BDS in your case).
b. Get an ECE report to evaluate your degree (This will convert your degree from Iraqi system to the American GPA system ) So, You need to get a high graduation average to get a high GPA scores and the GPA scale is from 1 to 4.
c. Send the ECE report directly from ECE to ADA which in turn will schedule an exam appointment.
d. take your NBDE 1 ( and 2 if you want).
e. take your TOEFL( Which should be 100 IBT for most schools).
f. apply to the advanced standing programes in USA schools.

That's all you need.

5- I don't have any information about the ORE. ( But I thing the American degree is much better than UK degree cause you have much more opportunities to work and the salary is much better ;) )

And like you said it is a little early to think about these steps and it is long journey but all you need right know is to focus on your study and to get as high average as possible to get a high GPA because this is one of the main competition requirement in the acceptance process in these programs especially after 1012 because the NBDE exams will be pass/ fail after that date.

I hope I answered your questions.:)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you very much for ur reply and your info's :)

I would be very grateful if you could add me on msn for further questions?
dana_085_22[at]hotmail.com

Thank you very much for your time

Does anyone have any info about the ORE?? any info is appreciated :)

1- You can't apply to the exam while you are still a student in dental college. You have to get your degree first because you can't apply to the exam till you have the ECE report for your degree which is the main requirement to apply for NBDE through ADA.

this is incorrect, i applied to NBDE while in school, and i am a forgin trained student
there is a special form to be filled by your dean to make sure that you have finished all subjects that are tested in exam
and you will be able to take it!

this is incorrect, i applied to NBDE while in school, and i am a forgin trained student
there is a special form to be filled by your dean to make sure that you have finished all subjects that are tested in exam
and you will be able to take it!

Thanks for clarification

Thanks your very much Ninety for the info :)