New interview format at USyd?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

acha241

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I got an email from Sydney stating that international students will be interviewed via Skype and that it will an informal interview and no preparation is required. I was previously freaking out over the MMI and think I prefer this way better. But I was just wondering what they mean by informal? Do we need to dress up or be prepared to answer questions like 'Tell us about yourself, Why do you wanna be a doc, ...etc?"

Thanks and good luck:laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Kinda weird to call it informal, if the interview has any weight at all.

I would still dress up and still prepare for any/all standard questions about your interests, motivation, understanding of the big medical challenges in the 21st century, yada yada. And don't slouch.

lol yeah I'll remember not to slouch. Yeah I was surprised by their wording about the interview but just to be safe I will prepare for it.

Since I'm new at the whole Aussie system I had a couple more questions:

I sent all my info to ACER (transcripts, etc) but USyd wants all that again. Shouldn't ACER have sent it to them?

They also say in the email that they will inform me within 24 hours of the interview of my status (admission/rejection). This seems extremely fast seeing as the US way of things takes months for applicants to hear their final decision. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad :)
I also applied to Sydney and I have a feeling that the interviews will run the coure of a few weeks. They probably will order the interviews by GAMSAT/MCAT scores and go until the class is full.

They also say in the email that they will inform me within 24 hours of the interview of my status (admission/rejection). This seems extremely fast seeing as the US way of things takes months for applicants to hear their final decision. What do you guys think?

This is more consistent with downplaying of the role of interviews in admissions. I suspect that USyd is now unofficially using them (at least for int'ls) as a mere hurdle +/- last chance, i.e., unless you're a rockstar or psycho, it won't impact your status much; thus the ability for such a fast (indeed rolling) turnaround.

Last edited:
This is more consistent with downplaying of the role of interviews in admissions. I suspect that USyd is now unofficially using them (at least for int'ls) as a mere hurdle +/- last chance, i.e., unless you're a rockstar or psycho, it won't impact your status much; thus the ability for such a fast (indeed rolling) turnaround.

In that case, we are basically ranked by MCAT scores? I wonder what would be considered as a competitive score then...

I know that 8/8/8/M is the minimum, but I'm guessing a competitive score would be at least 30+?

If by competitive score you mean above average, then I'd think 30 would be a decent guess ('around 30' has has been the rule of thumb for the older grad programs inferred by admissions committees), but I don't believe USyd publicly reveals its acceptance or entry scores.

Last edited:
I'm so nervous, and this seems too good to be true since it's only 15 minutes. anyone having interviews soon? :eek:

I have mine this evening. I thought this day was going to go by so slowly but I've been more relaxed today then I thought. Fingers still crossed though.

I'm so nervous, and this seems too good to be true since it's only 15 minutes. anyone having interviews soon? :eek:

Haha I thought so too! And don't worry I'm sure you'll do fine! I've got mine on Monday. Let us know how you went and good luck!

hi! has anyone had their USyd international interview yet?! I have mine tonight (US time) and was wondering how the experience went and/or offers were received?

thanks & best of luck to everyone!

Had my last night (11a.m. Sydney time). They emailed me an offer later that day!

The interview was great! Was nervous leading up to it until all of a sudden the school called early and it ended up being a lady from the Dentistry faculty. She just was there to check the connection and make sure that everything was set up. She was quite funny and had me laughing so by the time I received the call for the actual thing, I was relaxed and feeling good.

The interview followed a pretty standard format and was conducted by two senior members of the Faculty. I found they were both easy to talk to and very interested to learn more about me and my ambitions. I think we ended up talking longer than we were scheduled to but I think that's usually a sign of a good interview.

All in all, I'm in a great mood and wish the best of the luck to the rest of you.

Had my last night (11a.m. Sydney time). They emailed me an offer later that day!

The interview was great! Was nervous leading up to it until all of a sudden the school called early and it ended up being a lady from the Dentistry faculty. She just was there to check the connection and make sure that everything was set up. She was quite funny and had me laughing so by the time I received the call for the actual thing, I was relaxed and feeling good.

The interview followed a pretty standard format and was conducted by two senior members of the Faculty. I found they were both easy to talk to and very interested to learn more about me and my ambitions. I think we ended up talking longer than we were scheduled to but I think that's usually a sign of a good interview.

All in all, I'm in a great mood and wish the best of the luck to the rest of you.

That's awesome!! Congrats on your acceptance!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Had my interview and knew within a few hours. Ain't no thang but a chicken wang. Good luck Pacifist.

Thanks SNu, I found out this morning they accepted me :D
for me it was just like a 10 min chat about my summer

Goodluck to everyone who still has to do theirs!

So I think that's a conditional offer and you still need to send them official stuff before you can accept the offer

I had my interview last night as well. However, mine was for the Dental school and the lady told me that the dental school wouldnt be making decisions for a week or two. I hope she wasn't just saying that to let me down easy haha

I've got my interview on Monday and am suddenly feeling nervous! I hope it goes well...

I had my interview last night as well. However, mine was for the Dental school and the lady told me that the dental school wouldnt be making decisions for a week or two. I hope she wasn't just saying that to let me down easy haha

She seemed pretty nice, I don't think she would set you up for disappointment like that :) good luck though

I've got my interview on Monday and am suddenly feeling nervous! I hope it goes well...

when they say informal they really mean it, I think they just want to make sure you're not a crazy person or something like that lol. that being said, you should still look the part for the interview and prep some standard answers. Like the one generic question they asked me was why did I choose Sydney so yeah stuff like that. well GOOD LUCK !!! and hope it goes well :D

Same here! Had mine for the dental school, and the interviewers told me it would take a few days before decisions were made.

Same here! Had mine for the dental school, and the interviewers told me it would take a few days before decisions were made.
Also had Dents interview on Friday. Super chill. They told me a couple days as well. Hopefully we hear sometime this week. Good luck to everyone!

Good Luck to you guys!! By the way have you heard anything from Melbourne?

Good Luck to you guys!! By the way have you heard anything from Melbourne?

Good luck to you guys too - hopefully, we all get in together!

No, absolutely nothing from Melbourne yet....

Also had Dents interview on Friday. Super chill. They told me a couple days as well. Hopefully we hear sometime this week. Good luck to everyone!

Yeah - I know what you mean! The interviewers I had were so laid back...

wow, i can't believe some of you got accepted on the day of your interview! CONGRATULATIONS!!! thanks so much for sharing your experiences. mine is on tuesday, and i'm keeping my fingers crossed for a response by the end of this week. :scared:

i guess they are weighing most of the decision on transcript and DAT scores?

Just had my interview for dent. The ladies who conducted my interview were very friendly. They said that I will get the response from the faculty in 3 days. I think it will be the longest 3 days I will ever have.:D

Last edited:
Woohoo! got my acceptance just now to Syd med program!! Congrats to everyone and good luck to those who haven't had it yet!!:)

i just had my dental interview and i feel like i got grilled. i got interviewed by a male senior faculty member and another female. the male was quite serious and i felt like he didn't like me for some reason. the female was quite friendly and i wish i spoke to her only.

i'll know a week from now about a decision, but i don't feel too good about it.

did anyone get a rejection? looks like every one got accepted. SIIIIGH

i just had my dental interview and i feel like i got grilled. i got interviewed by a male senior faculty member and another female. the male was quite serious and i felt like he didn't like me for some reason. the female was quite friendly and i wish i spoke to her only.

i'll know a week from now about a decision, but i don't feel too good about it.

did anyone get a rejection? looks like every one got accepted. SIIIIGH

Limitedstops - don't worry! The people who got accepted so far are ALL for MED!! The dent acceptances have not gone out yet - so don't stress out just yet :D

Don't worry about the interviewers either! It's really hard to read what the interviewers were thinking. Mine were laid back, but polar opposites of each other. The man I had was very friendly, and kept laughing at my responses (which sorta caught me off guard, cause I wasn't trying to be funny -- perhaps I should just consider a career change into stand-up comedy). However, I also had a lady, who was very neutral...

Just relax!! You'll be fine :)

Nice to see there are others out there interested in USyd as well! :D I also got an offer, but I was wondering if you nice ladies and gentlemen out there might know...what happens after they send you the offer email? Has anyone gotten anything official like a letter or further emails?

Nice to see there are others out there interested in USyd as well! :D I also got an offer, but I was wondering if you nice ladies and gentlemen out there might know...what happens after they send you the offer email? Has anyone gotten anything official like a letter or further emails?

Yeah I wasn't sure about that. They just say that details of the enrolment will follow but I don't know when that will be. I guess I will email them..

Limitedstops - don't worry! The people who got accepted so far are ALL for MED!! The dent acceptances have not gone out yet - so don't stress out just yet :D

Don't worry about the interviewers either! It's really hard to read what the interviewers were thinking. Mine were laid back, but polar opposites of each other. The man I had was very friendly, and kept laughing at my responses (which sorta caught me off guard, cause I wasn't trying to be funny -- perhaps I should just consider a career change into stand-up comedy). However, I also had a lady, who was very neutral...

Just relax!! You'll be fine :)

oops, you're right. i reread the posts from above and it looks like it's only med that are receiving offers? i was confused because one pre-med was interviewed by a dental faculty member but i guess all med and dental faculty members are in this interviewing business together.

let us know your usyd results! good luck to everyone. :xf:

oops, you're right. i reread the posts from above and it looks like it's only med that are receiving offers? i was confused because one pre-med was interviewed by a dental faculty member but i guess all med and dental faculty members are in this interviewing business together.

let us know your usyd results! good luck to everyone. :xf:

Good luck to you too!! :luck: Hopefully we all make it in together! :xf:

I interviewed yesterday and just received an offer this morning. Most likely I won't be attending because I have another school in mind (unless something goes horribly wrong of course). But I am extremely ecstatic about making it in and as should everyone who has made it so far. Good luck to the rest (wait, I think it's already over =P).

They only asked a couple of questions though. The central question appears to be "Why Sydney medical school?". It was where we spent most of the time discussing it (well, I was doing the talking), but there were other questions like your hobbies, etc. It appears as if the interview is just making sure you're in. I don't think many people are rejected or put on waiting lists, or at least not from what I've heard so far.

I just got an e-mail from the undergraduate office of the faculty of dentistry that the applicants who were successful in the interviews will be ranked based on their GPA, and 15 places are available to those applicants with highest GPA. She also said further offers will be made as vacancies occur, and the selection process will take several weeks..

This seems quite contradictory to the admission policy outlined on the faculty website.. on well, I guess we need to have our fingers crossed longer than I thought. Good luck to everyone!!

I just got an e-mail from the undergraduate office of the faculty of dentistry that the applicants who were successful in the interviews will be ranked based on their GPA, and 15 places are available to those applicants with highest GPA. She also said further offers will be made as vacancies occur, and the selection process will take several weeks..

This seems quite contradictory to the admission policy outlined on the faculty website.. on well, I guess we need to have our fingers crossed longer than I thought. Good luck to everyone!!

That is such BS! Just GPA? What if you didn't do that well in college (because it was a hard college with a hard degree) but did great on the DAT? What's the point of taking the DAT then??? They should also factor in some other things such as essays, volunteer work, etc. :mad:

I thought there were 20 spots available. Guess they removed 5 this year......

Just got the same email. What makes a successful interview? And they are not even looking at DAT scores?

Seem Weird...

Since there are still several weeks before the dent offer is out according to the email, should I accept the med offer? Just in case I cannot get into dent....

I got the same e-mail!! I basically wasted the whole day yesterday pressing refresh on my e-mail.... I'm very sure that I was told at the interview that it would take just a few days before offers were released (and I was interviewed last Wednesday)

Yeah, and where did those 5 spots go?!! I'm sure I saw 20 listed on the ACER website, as well as the USYD website.

Guess we have to keep waiting. This is all so confusing...

Yeah, not a lot of time to come up with the half a years tuition down-payment. Still, I'm thrilled to be accepted and the more I hear people here in Canada talking about the program the more I'm confidant it's the right choice.

Yeah I've got to scramble for the tuition now.

I was also wondering what options there are for international students for financial aid? I know about the Stafford loan but do any SDNers know about scholarships, etc?

wait, we don't actually have to pay the tuition now, just a deposit then pay the remaining by the end of October?:

"Make an initial payment by 3 August 2010 (Sydney time): A$31,245.00 being one
semester’s fee plus the health insurance premium required by the Australian
Government. Alternatively, you may pay a deposit of A$4,569 (being 10% of one
semester’s fee plus the health insurance premium required by the Australian
Government) by 3 August 2010 to secure your place and then pay the balance of
A$26,676 by 31 October 2010."

Yeah I've got to scramble for the tuition now.

I was also wondering what options there are for international students for financial aid? I know about the Stafford loan but do any SDNers know about scholarships, etc?

Have you taken a look at U. Syd's scholarship pages? If you haven't already, there are merit scholarships that can cut off 5000 AUD per annum.

http://sydney.edu.au/medicine/scholawards/med/future_international.php

You can also look into certain private loans. Most private bank loans only give loans to US medical school students, but some do allow loans to certain schools listed in their directories at higher interest rates. For example:

1. The Sallie Mae Smart Option Loan
2. The ISLP (International Student Loan Program)

Unless you have a ton of money or you're certain you're willing to carry up to 300,000 AUD in debt, I would suggest going to a less expensive school if you can. But if you really want to go to U. Syd and you've thought it through, then go for it.

i just got a response from anne quinlan and she said DAT scores are not factored into the final ranking of applicants. she said as long as you got above 15, you will be guaranteed an interview. so much for studying hard to get above 20. =T

i guess we'll hear from dentistry sometime in august? so far away.....

That makes me wonder how many people they interviewed...

Have any dent applicants heard back from Melbourne yet?

I have not heard anything from Melbourne. Also are u thinking they interviewed a lot of people or not that many people?

For the med people that accepted their offer - did USyd send you any notification/confirmation that they got your letter/deposit?

If you are referring to the electronic Confirmation of Enrollment, they only send that if you pay the FULL deposit (of ~AUD$31,000.00 - which they require by October 31, 2010). If you only paid the ~AUD$6,500.00 then you will not receive it... The 10% deposit does secure your position though. If you accepted and paid online (with a credit card), you should have received two e-mails... One with the title "Web Acceptance Confirmation University of Sydney" and the other with the title "Approved Payment Receipt". I'm not sure how USyd confirmed the arrival of your acceptance if you chose to send in the paper forms and a bank draft.... If you submitted using the latter, and didn't receive any confirmation, maybe you should contact AustraLean and ask them to look into it for you... They are very helpful!