New interview format at USyd?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have not heard anything from Melbourne. Also are u thinking they interviewed a lot of people or not that many people?

Initially, I thought not that many. But based on what people are saying, yeah, I'm also going to assume a lot....

I had read on the GAMSAT site that it's around a 1.5 to 2.0 ratio of interviews to spots at USyd dent -- which is pretty decent.

But if every international that applied had a DAT score over 15... then...well...?!?!?! Sorry, but that's just insane! Especially for just 15 spots.

This whole process is not making much sense to me. The more I think about it, the more confusing it gets. I thought our GPA and DAT were the FIRST hurdle, and interview was the final cut. But in that e-mail from Anne, we were told that GPAs are only now being calculated...

Members don't see this ad.

I agree with you. I heard from another international applicant that there are around 80-90 international applicants competing for just 15 spots. Codie, have you applied for med program also? Or have you applied for UMel DDS?

I have applied for both USyd Med and Dent and have already got Med offer. I think I'm going to accept my Med offer in such an insane competition.

Last edited:
Hey does anyone know when we hear about clinical school allocation? Is it after you pay the deposit or after enrolment?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info!! :) I think it was ~AUD$4600, but will definitely email Australearn to check.

No problem! Whoops... that was my mistake. I thought it said ~AUD$4600 PLUS the Overseas Student Health Coverage (OSHC)... but reading it again I see that the ~AUD$4600 amount takes into account the OSHC... Either way, one semester's fee needs to be in by the end of October (~AUD$31,245)!

I agree with you. I heard from another international applicant that there are around 80-90 international applicants competing for just 15 spots. Codie, have you applied for med program also? Or have you applied for UMel DDS?

I have applied for both USyd Med and Dent and have already got Med offer. I think I'm going to accept my Med offer in such an insane competition.

Well if there is in fact 80-90 international students thats not to bad considering the spots that UMel DDS has. I think they have like 40 seats, so thats like 55 seats for 80-90 people.

Well if there is in fact 80-90 international students thats not to bad considering the spots that UMel DDS has. I think they have like 40 seats, so thats like 55 seats for 80-90 people.

I also think that USyd dent gets more applicants -- it doesn't have as many pre-reqs as UMelb dent (ie.biochem, physio, anatomy). That might up our chances there, as it eliminates a lot of people without a science background. Let's keep our fingers crossed :xf:

Hey Joeyc - no, I only applied to dent at those schools.

Congrats on your offer! Do they allow you to back out if you get another offer? If so, then might you as well accept it. No point wasting a good offer! :) Plus, with the scheme they seem to have going this year, they might as well be ranking us according to height.

I accepted my offer and paid the deposit the other night. Looks like I'm going to USyd! I'm looking forward to meeting everyone that has also chosen to head to Sydney.

I hope they can tell us what clinical school we got sooner than December although I guess they rank us with local students who don't get their offers until late. What clinical schools did everyone go for? Mine were:

1. CCS
2. Westmead
3. Concord
4. Northern
5. Nepean

I accepted my offer and paid the deposit the other night. Looks like I'm going to USyd! I'm looking forward to meeting everyone that has also chosen to head to Sydney.

I hope they can tell us what clinical school we got sooner than December although I guess they rank us with local students who don't get their offers until late. What clinical schools did everyone go for? Mine were:

1. CCS
2. Westmead
3. Concord
4. Northern
5. Nepean

It looks like we'll be classmates then! I'm planning to pay it later tonight. I chose CCS and Northern as my first and second preferences. Fingers crossed for RPA!

I also think that USyd dent gets more applicants -- it doesn't have as many pre-reqs as UMelb dent (ie.biochem, physio, anatomy). That might up our chances there, as it eliminates a lot of people without a science background. Let's keep our fingers crossed :xf:

You are right. The intention of setting up the prerequisites is to reduce the pre-clinical learning period from 2 to 1 year and to extend the clinical training period from 2 years to 3 years. (...according to Dr. Hawethorne, associate Dean International of UMel)

These mean you don't need to repeat taking pre-clinical courses like physiology, anatomy and biochemistry that you have already learnt during your previous degree. (That might be boring and a waste of time??) Instead all of your tuition fee and time would be spent on learning and practising clinical techniques, gaining more clinical experience and contacting patients etc...

...don't forget clinical theory (incorporating the basic sciences), which will surely be the bulk of your 2nd year and a substantial part of the following years.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just received an e-mail from U of Syd Dent.. seems like my gpa wasn't good enough to receive an offer..:oops: Although they say that I will be notified once a spot becomes available.. I don't know what to say at this moment. Hope to hear better news from UofMelb on 13th!

Congratulations to those who got an offer!!! Wish you the best of the best!

Got the same email. For people who got accepted, it would be great if you could share your stats to see how far away some of us are

thanks

man, i'm pretty bummed out from my rejection letter. i want to call anne and ask her what are my chances of getting an acceptance off the "waiting" list. if i'm far off, i don't know if it's worth it to apply as a local student. :(

Got the same email. For people who got accepted, it would be great if you could share your stats to see how far away some of us are

thanks

Hey guys,
Sorry to hear about the waitlist, once Melbourne gives out their offers I suspect that some places should free up! Im from Canada and graduated with a BSc last year with a GPA of about 3.88/4, doesnt matter about my cDAT i suppose, but i thought the interview went really well.

Still haven't heard back :(

Does anyone know what order they are going in?

Hey guys,
Sorry to hear about the waitlist, once Melbourne gives out their offers I suspect that some places should free up! Im from Canada and graduated with a BSc last year with a GPA of about 3.88/4, doesnt matter about my cDAT i suppose, but i thought the interview went really well.

Hey TravelerDent, thanks for the reply. Is that 3.88 over the last 3 years like how sydney is calculating it?

Hey guys,

travelerdent, did you get accepted?

i read on another forum that someone with a 3.8 gpa got rejected. my chances of getting in are 0% now since my gpa is a bit lower than that. i just called anne and she said applicants weren't even graded on their interviews but mainly on their gpa and honor credits. this sucks...

travelerdent, did you get accepted?

i read on another forum that someone with a 3.8 gpa got rejected. my chances of getting in are 0% now since my gpa is a bit lower than that. i just called anne and she said applicants weren't even graded on their interviews but mainly on their gpa and honor credits. this sucks...

Hey guys, yah I am accepted to Dents. I did a 4 year honours degree (the standard in Canada) and the 3.88 would be from my most recent 3 years. Stay positive, Melbourne has double the international class size!

I just got an acceptance email today. I have to say I was surprised as my GPA is nowhere near as competitive as others who were rejected. I can't recall exactly what my GPA was, but around 3.5 I guess for the last 3 years of study. DAT scores were good, but not great. I'm a not standard student with a bit of experience.
Anyways, I just wanted to say that GPA might not be the be all and end all that they say it is. Chin up!

Anyone in the Edmonton area?

Do you guys mind letting me know what times you got your emails? I still haven't heard anything... :(

I just got an acceptance email today. I have to say I was surprised as my GPA is nowhere near as competitive as others who were rejected. I can't recall exactly what my GPA was, but around 3.5 I guess for the last 3 years of study. DAT scores were good, but not great. I'm a not standard student with a bit of experience.
Anyways, I just wanted to say that GPA might not be the be all and end all that they say it is. Chin up!

if your gpa was a 3.5 and someone else with a 3.8 got rejected, then i have no idea how they are ranking their applicants. perhaps interviews were factored in? maybe you took honor classes? when i called anne at 2pm SYD time, she said 4 people already accepted. i won't hear from her until december when she gets a yes from everyone and that they paid their deposit.

Do you guys mind letting me know what times you got your emails? I still haven't heard anything... :(

i think you should call anne right now. good luck!!!

Hey guys, yah I am accepted to Dents. I did a 4 year honours degree (the standard in Canada) and the 3.88 would be from my most recent 3 years. Stay positive, Melbourne has double the international class size!

Congrats!
i think if someone were accepted to both melbourne and sydney, they would choose sydney. i hope that's not the case, but at this point, i think i should start studying for the GAMSAT and apply as a resident.

Last edited:
Thanks! It's too late over here to call, so I just emailed her. I'm not sure what to think :s I've checked my email again and again --- and nothing so far. I'm going to assume it's a bad sign...

Hey,

Congrats Bigguyry and anyone else who got an acceptance for Dentistry! (BTW, I'm from Edmonton also)

I'm a first year here at USyd dent, so if you guys have any questions about the acceptance process (deposit, loans, LOC, visa, etc...) or anything else just let me know I'll try to answer what I can.

As far as those on the waitlist, I would keep your hopes up. Of the internationals who received first round offer, I believe only 5 of them accepted. So the waitlist does move. Obviously, things can differ year to year.

I have to agree with some of the frustration here about the application process. For us, our final acceptance was based 100% on the MMI interview. I don't know how they are doing it this year. I was disappointed that they no longer conducted the MMI. It was an excellent way to evaluate the character of the applicants.

Well, atleast you guys have the chance at applying for UMelb. They didnt take applicants when I applied, so don't worry if you don't get an offer from USyd. UMelb is an excellent school as well.

Bottom line..keep your hopes up!

Hello guys!

I was also accepted and my GPA is 3.73 (best 3 will be close to 3.9) and my DAT is 23 TS 21 AA but I applied with 18 TS and 18 AA (my last year's DAT).

I will most likely decline my offer since I already received one interview from Indiana and I think I can get into a d-school in states or UBC (my province school) with my stats lol (I really hope so).

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Thanks, Red! Still nothing -- anyone else in the same boat?

Hey Congrats on the acceptance. I really wish they would just tell us how they are ranking people though because my last 3 years is 3.64. Also emailed Anne to ask for rankings on the waiting list and she said no.

Add another member to the club. Can I be president? Anne somehow forgot to email me. I know I shouldn't be laughing, but...LOL..

Let's hope for UMelb :xf:

Just received an e-mail from U of Syd Dent.. seems like my gpa wasn't good enough to receive an offer..:oops: Although they say that I will be notified once a spot becomes available.. I don't know what to say at this moment. Hope to hear better news from UofMelb on 13th!

Congratulations to those who got an offer!!! Wish you the best of the best!

Hello guys!

I was also accepted and my GPA is 3.73 (best 3 will be close to 3.9) and my DAT is 23 TS 21 AA but I applied with 18 TS and 18 AA (my last year's DAT).

I will most likely decline my offer since I already received one interview from Indiana and I think I can get into a d-school in states or UBC (my province school) with my stats lol (I really hope so).

Hope this helps!

Congrats on your offer! thanks so much for giving up your spot. that gives some hope for the waitlisted. :)

Congrats on your offer! thanks so much for giving up your spot. that gives some hope for the waitlisted. :)

Thanks limitedstops!

I'm just worrying that if I don't get any admission from North American d-schools, I'm dead :(

I really want to go d-school ! :D

Add another member to the club. Can I be president? Anne somehow forgot to email me. I know I shouldn't be laughing, but...LOL..

Let's hope for UMelb :xf:

so codie did you get an email from Anne? or are you just assuming you're waitlisted? Don't lose hope UMelb is also a fantastic school and you will get an offer email this Friday :D I have bad feeling that I will be rejected by UMelb :p

Hi Guys:

I emailed Anne and she said the decision was based entirely on gpa. I think I'm the person with 3.8/4.0 that wasn't accepted. I calculated my gpa onto the 7.0 scale, according to the scale suggested by Anne and it came to 6.9+. I'm just really confused.

Hey,

Congrats Bigguyry and anyone else who got an acceptance for Dentistry! (BTW, I'm from Edmonton also)

I'm a first year here at USyd dent, so if you guys have any questions about the acceptance process (deposit, loans, LOC, visa, etc...) or anything else just let me know I'll try to answer what I can.

Hi Riazo, and thanks. I'm pretty excited about the prospect of going. Looking online at all the costs involved, looks like Sydney isn't the cheapest place to live. I'd love to pick your brain about living in Sydney. Are you by any chance back here in Edmonton for the summer? It would be awesome to meet up for coffee and get some idea of what's in store. :)

(Looking are where I would live right now. Youch rent is high there!:scared: )

Also wanted to say "thanks Riazo". It's actually because of some of your previous posts that I even applied. I found out about the Oz-Can reciprocity agreement thing here, then found out the deadline was June 25th (over there) on June 23rd here. Stayed up till 4AM putting together the application. Figured what the heck. Then got in! Must be fate! :D Thanks again Riazo!!! I owe you a beer!

Also wanted to say "thanks Riazo". It's actually because of some of your previous posts that I even applied. I found out about the Oz-Can reciprocity agreement thing here, then found out the deadline was June 25th (over there) on June 23rd here. Stayed up till 4AM putting together the application. Figured what the heck. Then got in! Must be fate! :D Thanks again Riazo!!! I owe you a beer!

Congratulations bigguyry. I was wondering if you had multiple degrees or something else that would have set you apart from other applicants.

Congratulations bigguyry. I was wondering if you had multiple degrees or something else that would have set you apart from other applicants.

I have a BEd and a MS in education (History and Language Major, music minor). Must have helped somehow. :)
I didn't have any background in science until two years ago. Took a bunch of pre-reqs and really really struggled. It was tough, but if I can do it, you guys can too! Focus on your goals and it's never too late (I'm turning 36). :thumbup:

ssg8, if you couldn't get in, then i have no chance...

how is dental faculty calculating this thing???

Hi Guys:

I emailed Anne and she said the decision was based entirely on gpa. I think I'm the person with 3.8/4.0 that wasn't accepted. I calculated my gpa onto the 7.0 scale, according to the scale suggested by Anne and it came to 6.9+. I'm just really confused.

ssg8 didn't you get accepted to UPenn last year? I remember you seeing from the forum :)

ssg8, if you couldn't get in, then i have no chance...

how is dental faculty calculating this thing???

I emailed Anne and what she said suggested that those with higher degrees were given preference, and that everyone was ranked according to gpa. The interview was only a "Yes" or "No" thing. I was confused about the whole Honours thing. I think that most of our Canadians degree with a specific major count. The conversion is as followes: A+, A, A-=7.0, B+=6.5, and B=6. This seems rather generous, so I thought that I had a chance as I calculated a cumulative value of 6.91 and a last three years of 6.92. Let's hope the waitlist moves.

ssg8 didn't you get accepted to UPenn last year? I remember you seeing from the forum :)

How did you remember! I withdrew for personal reasons/I couldn't start school in the fall. Amazing school.

Last edited:
How did you remember! I withdrew for personal reasons/I couldn't start school in the fall. Amazing school.

haha because you're Canadian and I'm also Canadian so I remember those SMART Canadians who got accepted to Ivys so you are my role model! :D

Well this explains why you did not get accepted. Because you have TOO high stats, so USyd knows that even if they accept you, you would most likely decline their offer.

That's the only reason I can think of why you didn't get accepted.

Have you apply to American schools this year?

Last edited:
hey bigguyry,

Glad to hear that information helped out. It seems like the word is getting out, and that has definitely made the applicants this year more competitive.

Yes, it is VERY expensive to live in Sydney. It's nearly apples and oranges between Edmonton and Sydney. You can expect to pay between $200 and $300 a week for a place near campus. It will be quite difficult to find a place before you arrive here, so I would suggest you arrive a few weeks earlier. There is also the issue of dealing with realtors in Sydney. They can be a real hassle.

For now, just worry about getting in your loans, banking, visa, etc. Also try to look for a good air ticket. The cheapest I've found was a return flight for $1280. Book early, the prices get really high ($2000 +) closer to when school starts. Don't worry so much about housing. Not a bad idea to look through some listings online. But your real search will begin when you arrive here. Most importantly, enjoy the next few months with family and friends. Once school gets going here..you will definitely miss home!

I'll be back in Edmonton in the summer (that is..dec and jan..haha..get used to the new seasons :). You can contact me then and we can certainly meet up (I've been craving a double double with a cream of broccoli soup and a chocolate dip donut!).

Also for those who are starting next year, ask about what equipment you will need. It will most likely be similar to ours, and in that case you can save A LOT of money by purchasing things in Canada/US. (But keep this on the down-low..the faculty might not like it..;) Contact me later for more details.

And remember..the waitlist does move..so keep your hopes up everyone!!

haha because you're Canadian and I'm also Canadian so I remember those SMART Canadians who got accepted to Ivys so you are my role model! :D

Well this explains why you did not get accepted. Because you have TOO high stats, so USyd knows that even if they accept you, you would most likely decline their offer.

That's the only reason I can think of why you didn't get accepted.

Have you apply to American schools this year?

Thanks for the ego boost, but I think they looked at the last 3 years.

No, I didn't apply this year. Hopefully the waitlist will move.

I emailed Anne and what she said suggested that those with higher degrees were given preference, and that everyone was ranked according to gpa. The interview was only a "Yes" or "No" thing. I was confused about the whole Honours thing. I think that most of our Canadians degree with a specific major count. The conversion is as followes: A+, A, A-=7.0, B+=6.5, and B=6. This seems rather generous, so I thought that I had a chance as I calculated a cumulative value of 6.91 and a last three years of 6.92. Let's hope the waitlist moves.

Thats an interesting grading scale...with that i have 6.77 and you didnt get accepted with a 6.92!!!!!! Hopefully Umel is our ticket.

what??? thanks for letting me know this info. does this mean i have to go do a master's? 0_o