new member with a question about inorganic chemistry class !

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sm521

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello everyone !

i am a long time lurker, first time poster.

i will be attending community college this fall to do my pre-requisites for pre-pharmacy. i have used the search function in this forum a lot to answer some of the common questions about pre-pharm and i have learned a lot of useful information without having to make duplicate threads.

upon making up my class schedule, i ran into a question that i'm hoping some of you can help me with. i tried to search this, but i didn't really find anything.

anyway, i have done my homework and already know that different schools require different pre-requisites, but of course, there are the major science classes you should taken before going into the 4-year pharmacy program, such as organic chemistry.

the community college i am going to attend requires inorganic chemistry before allowing you to attend organic chemistry. my question to you is.. is inorganic chemistry really necessary for me to take? i have already registered for general chemistry for the fall semester, but i heard inorganic chemistry is similar to general chem. if this is so, i don't really want to be taking two classes that are kind of the same.

i don't know if i should take the inorganic just so i can take organic in the future or beg and plead the head of the science department to let me take organic without taking inorganic. i haven't seen inorganic chemistry pop up as a pre-requisite for pharmacy school.

thanks for any help and advice you can give !

Members don't see this ad.

hello everyone !

i am a long time lurker, first time poster.

i will be attending community college this fall to do my pre-requisites for pre-pharmacy. i have used the search function in this forum a lot to answer some of the common questions about pre-pharm and i have learned a lot of useful information without having to make duplicate threads.

upon making up my class schedule, i ran into a question that i'm hoping some of you can help me with. i tried to search this, but i didn't really find anything.

anyway, i have done my homework and already know that different schools require different pre-requisites, but of course, there are the major science classes you should taken before going into the 4-year pharmacy program, such as organic chemistry.

the community college i am going to attend requires inorganic chemistry before allowing you to attend organic chemistry. my question to you is.. is inorganic chemistry really necessary for me to take? i have already registered for general chemistry for the fall semester, but i heard inorganic chemistry is similar to general chem. if this is so, i don't really want to be taking two classes that are kind of the same.

i don't know if i should take the inorganic just so i can take organic in the future or beg and plead the head of the science department to let me take organic without taking inorganic. i haven't seen inorganic chemistry pop up as a pre-requisite for pharmacy school.

thanks for any help and advice you can give !

As a GENERAL RULE, inorganic chemistry IS general chemistry. However, your school may have two different classes - one for science majors, one for non science. You must take organic and you must take inorganic/gen chem. If your school requires a certain class to be completed, you will not be able to "beg and plead" your way into the upper level class - you will have to sit the class.

General Chemistry is usually considered Inorganic Chemistry. I would also make sure you are taking the health science level courses and not taking any intro type classes that are not going to fulfill pre-pharm requirements.

Members don't see this ad :)
General Chemistry is usually considered Inorganic Chemistry. I would also make sure you are taking the health science level courses and not taking any intro type classes that are not going to fulfill pre-pharm requirements.

yeah, i am making sure of that, as well.

i know pharmacy schools require general biology I+II, but at my school, they are requiring me to take "principles of biology I+II" instead of general bio because they said principle of bio is a higher level than general. do you think pharmacy schools will accept principles of biology?

It's a game of semantics. So long as you're following a pre-pharm degree plan or path from your school, you should be fine. If you're not taking courses over the summer, it might not hurt to go speak with an advisor from the natural sciences department at your school to iron out these issues.

yeah, i am making sure of that, as well.

i know pharmacy schools require general biology I+II, but at my school, they are requiring me to take "principles of biology I+II" instead of general bio because they said principle of bio is a higher level than general. do you think pharmacy schools will accept principles of biology?

At my school, "Principles of Biology" is the one designed for "science majors", which is the one that *MOST* pharmacy schools want. General Biology is designed for people who are not necessarily science majors and thus is "lower level."

You know, it can't hurt to e-mail the people at your prospective schools or tell us what schools you're looking at, because some people here may actually go there and can offer insight.

General Chemistry and Inorganic Chem are two different sections of chemistry. I have not seen a pharmacy school that has Inorganic Chem as a prereq. I am sort of surprised that they require Inorganic before Organic. They must be calling Gen Chem, Inorganic chem for some reason.

It usually goes:
Gen Chem I and II with labs
Organic Chem II and II with labs
Physical/Inorganic Chem with labs

I did 3.5 years of undergrad inorganic chem research and it involves the metals obviously, Osmium, Aluminum etc.

General Chemistry and Inorganic Chem are two different sections of chemistry. I have not seen a pharmacy school that has Inorganic Chem as a prereq. I am sort of surprised that they require Inorganic before Organic. They must be calling Gen Chem, Inorganic chem for some reason.

It usually goes:
Gen Chem I and II with labs
Organic Chem II and II with labs
Physical/Inorganic Chem with labs

I did 3.5 years of undergrad inorganic chem research and it involves the metals obviously, Osmium, Aluminum etc.

Quoted for truth - where it gets a little fishy is that some schools consider Gen chem and Inorganic chem synonymous... These are schools that typically do not offer the advanced inorganic chemistry (which is typically taken AFTER completing organic).

The advanced inorganic course is really an extension of gen chem, where you do advanced pK / pH and Titrations. To the OP - yes, it is absolutely required.