new PCO optometry student

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HHQOPTEDU

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all-
im starting optometry school this fall and i was wondering if anyone knew the classes that PCO students take in the fall. also, is there anything i can study to get a jump on the work? THANKS

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all-
im starting optometry school this fall and i was wondering if anyone knew the classes that PCO students take in the fall. also, is there anything i can study to get a jump on the work? THANKS

You can probably get the schedule by calling the PCO Admissions office. I can't help you there - but what I can do is tell you NOT to start studying right now. You have 4 years of studying ahead of you. Take the time now to have much fun as is humanly possible. Travel, sleep in, work to save up money... anything but study. Studying now won't put you ahead of anyone else, and if anything it can start the burn out process that much sooner.

So I repeat - DON'T study. DO have fun.

I'm now a 2nd year student at PCO. I'll tell you the courses I had in the fall, but I highly suggest you don't consider to study because this is the LAST summer during optometry school that you will have free. PCO, unlike some of the other schools, has summer semesters. You will have the following courses, unless they changed things around: Molecular & Cellular Processes, Gross Anatomy of the Head & Neck, Optical Principles and Ophthalmic Applications 1, Doctor/Patient Relationship, Intro to Optometry and the Health Care System, Clinical Skills 1, Clinical Problem Solving 1, Evidence-based Medicine, and Professional Practice 1. The hardest part of the first semester is getting used to optometry school. Then, when second semester comes around, all hell breaks loose. Do yourself a huge favor and just take it easy for right now. Hopefully, they'll soon be sending you information about some of the fun activities that go on during orientation week.

Members don't see this ad :)
Trust me, you don't want to be studying ahead. And plus you can't really study ahead unless you have the notes...

Don't worry, first year is gonna destroy you, than second year comes around, it's a little bit easier, and right now i'm in 3rd year, it's pretty relaxed. But apparently my fall term is gonna hurt because of another neuro course...uh oh.

thanks for the advice guys...

at PCO, what kind of classes and how many are taken over the summer? is it just a few or is it grueling like the fall and spring? lastly, are the days in the fall semester like monday-friday 9-5 in classrooms? thanks

I'd definitely echo the don't study now sentiments. enjoy your summer.. there will be PLENTY of time to study in the fall. Anything you learned now you'd have to relearn/study before a test anyway.

thanks for the advice guys...

at PCO, what kind of classes and how many are taken over the summer? is it just a few or is it grueling like the fall and spring? lastly, are the days in the fall semester like monday-friday 9-5 in classrooms? thanks

You will have to do a one-month (160 hrs) internship at an optometrist's office (Professional Practice 3). They might be reducing the number of hours required, but I'm not sure. You have the option of nominating any optometrist you want, as long as they meet the requirements. I just finished my internship and overall, I think it was a good experience for me. At the same time, you have to do an online course called Optics of the Eye. Then towards the end of July (we start July 21), you go back to campus for the summer session. It is during this time that Optics of the Eye is finished with the exams for it. The courses during the summer session are Clinical Skills 3a, Ocular Biology 1, and Psychophysics and Physiology of Monocular Vision 1; all of which have labs. Total number of credits is only 14.93. I have yet to attend the summer session, but I am not expecting anything close to the difficulty of spring semester. You get a week off after summer session, which I believe is the same week as orientation for first-year students.

To answer your question about the schedule in the fall...your day is as long as you want to make it, with the exception of the labs of course. All labs, including the problem solving sessions for optics, are mandatory. Almost all of the lectures are voluntary attendence. Some students never attend lectures, while some attend all of the lectures. I recommend going to as many as you can, especially for anatomy and optics. You risk getting lost if you don't go to those. Everyday is different, but I do remember having some 8-5 days. And I also remember having some 8am-9pm days when I had to go back to the school at night to get some things finished or get in some practice time for the clinical skills practicals (you'll know what I mean when you get to spring semester and have to start preparing for the 35 minute vision analysis practical). Don't expect to have a set schedule, especially since there will be some group work for EBM. Hope this helps!

i've heard that as PCO students, we get free contacts and possibly glasses? does anyone know anything about this? and how many pairs of contacts/glasses do we get?

I would study Anatomy learn the bones and the Cranial Nerves :p
The infamous "ConsciousProprioceptionTwoPointTactilePressureAndVibratorySense" is coming!