New pharmacy manager advice needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FuturePharmDgirl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Just accepted my offer new PIC for , i had a question regarding controlled substance inventory as a new pic. I was explained that i will do it along with beinnial which is due upcoming month. And i was not scheduled at my home store on the date of CS inventory to perform that as both new pic and biennial. Please help if any help appreciate it. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You should do a full control inventory either the night or morning before your first shift officially as PIC. This is to protect you from any potential existing discrepancies with the control counts before you take over the store.

Reactions: 2 users
Controlled substance inventory - If I were in your shoes, I would make plans to be there during the regularly scheduled controlled inventory, preferably at night. If you're just training for the 2 weeks, this shouldn't be difficult to arrange. You will probably need at least 3 to 4 uninterrupted hours assuming the store is in halfway decent shape. While doing the inventory, I would advise getting a SIMS sign on and checking the counts in the system as well, at least for the C2s. If your market scheduler helps you out, you will have another pharmacist there while you are doing this so you won't be interrupted.

Board paperwork - This is handled by the district office. They will send you the paper to sign and will handle the filing with the board. They keep all documentation at the district office, make sure you keep a copy for your blue tote file. If you don't see it in at most a month from your start date, e-mail your DM and check up on the what you need to do (probably sooner than that though, I had mine sent over pretty quick).

Good luck, and I am happy to help with any questions. It's tough, but it can be rewarding.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should do a full control inventory either the night or morning before your first shift officially as PIC. This is to protect you from any potential existing discrepancies with the control counts before you take over the store.

how is that possible when I am on training? I am confused as to when is my official date for pic? Is that my first day of training? Are you from walgreens as well?

How about you ask your district manager?

Reactions: 1 user
Controlled substance inventory - If I were in your shoes, I would make plans to be there during the regularly scheduled controlled inventory, preferably at night. If you're just training for the 2 weeks, this shouldn't be difficult to arrange. You will probably need at least 3 to 4 uninterrupted hours assuming the store is in halfway decent shape. While doing the inventory, I would advise getting a SIMS sign on and checking the counts in the system as well, at least for the C2s. If your market scheduler helps you out, you will have another pharmacist there while you are doing this so you won't be interrupted.

Board paperwork - This is handled by the district office. They will send you the paper to sign and will handle the filing with the board. They keep all documentation at the district office, make sure you keep a copy for your blue tote file. If you don't see it in at most a month from your start date, e-mail your DM and check up on the what you need to do (probably sooner than that though, I had mine sent over pretty quick).

Good luck, and I am happy to help with any questions. It's tough, but it can be rewarding.
So i am being trained at a different store, market scheduler did not put me on schedule at my home store on the date of inventory. So should i ask the dm about this issue? Or just tell the scheduler? I am new to the company so I dont want to sound like a confused trouble person...

So i am being trained at a different store, market scheduler did not put me on schedule at my home store on the date of inventory. So should i ask the dm about this issue? Or just tell the scheduler? I am new to the company so I dont want to sound like a confused trouble person...

Why not put it in front of both? Whatever day the inventory is scheduled, figure out what you're working. If you are opening that day, you would have enough time (even leave a little early) to go to your store and do the count. If closing, ask to be switched to open that day and either change another shift if needed or not. You are training, which means there should be another pharmacist at the store you're training at. This means you aren't needed there and can leave to handle your business at your store when the day comes. Your DM and market scheduler will understand you taking 4 hours to complete your necessary duties. I don't want to assume too much, but make sure when you send this in e-mail that it's not a question. It is a statement that you will need a few hours to handle your store and if that time interferes with training, they can tell you how to make it up.

Why not put it in front of both? Whatever day the inventory is scheduled, figure out what you're working. If you are opening that day, you would have enough time (even leave a little early) to go to your store and do the count. If closing, ask to be switched to open that day and either change another shift if needed or not. You are training, which means there should be another pharmacist at the store you're training at. This means you aren't needed there and can leave to handle your business at your store when the day comes. Your DM and market scheduler will understand you taking 4 hours to complete your necessary duties. I don't want to assume too much, but make sure when you send this in e-mail that it's not a question. It is a statement that you will need a few hours to handle your store and if that time interferes with training, they can tell you how to make it up.

i will be sent to my Home store for a rotation after the two weeks , does that mean my first day as PIC is after two weeks trainjng and do i have to perform another inventory the day i rotate to my store? I am confused why they did not put me at my store for the biennial inventory which will also count for my first inventory.

Will i get in legal trouble if I dont do inventory on day of official hire?

You accepted a position without knowing the responsibilities. Your questions are pretty basic. Don't rely on corporate to ensure legal compliance, after all it is your license. There are federal requirements and state in so far as 1. controlled substance inventory 2. Notifying bop on change in manager/employment

Better review fast. I lived in a state where the manager had to report the change in management and states which require the owner to do it. A lot of managers got in trouble for not reporting the change within 30 days and this Walgreens.

Answer me this: why should anyone answer these for you?

There's no reason for you to be the one that does inventory. If they don't have you scheduled there.... You aren't PIC yet. I wouldn't even ask to do it.

Email your DM, get your paperwork you need to fill out and on your first day do inventory.

Is it 100% important to get it done the first day? No, the board doesn't go back to look when you took over. Does the law require it? Yes.

I get this is a nice place to ask questions but really.... Email your DM

The inventory has to be done anyways, why not take some initiative and get both the annual and new PIC inventory done at the same time? These are all things to bring to your DM, but I think its OK to ask questions. Many pharmacists are shoved into the manager position so quickly that they may not even be aware of what they should ask.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There's no reason for you to be the one that does inventory. If they don't have you scheduled there.... You aren't PIC yet. I wouldn't even ask to do it.

Email your DM, get your paperwork you need to fill out and on your first day do inventory.

Is it 100% important to get it done the first day? No, the board doesn't go back to look when you took over. Does the law require it? Yes.

@wagrxm2000, it depends on the state, you must practice in a very easy state. In IL and MN, you really need to do it that day you take control. In IL's case, the departing is allowed to do the inventory, but that is rarely done in practice due to the DEA 106 grace period. IL and MN certainly do as they both have incoming PIC checklists that they do check at inspection. You know the rule in most of them for the entering CS inventory (IL allows the departing PIC to do it, but it is Walgreens's policy that the incoming must do it that day as they have to fill out the IL incoming sheet).

IL:

OP, I would agree though that you accepted the PIC without knowing the state laws for being one. This is not a great idea. You need to sit down and reread those sections. You should ask about company policy as to each their own, but in the sense of what you are required to do not what your regulatory responsibility is. Yes, email your DM for the company-specific procedure, but you are responsible for knowing the state's rules about it, MPJE was not the only reason you studied the state code.

@wagrxm2000, it depends on the state, you must practice in a very easy state. In IL and MN, you really need to do it that day you take control. In IL's case, the departing is allowed to do the inventory, but that is rarely done in practice due to the DEA 106 grace period. IL and MN certainly do as they both have incoming PIC checklists that they do check at inspection. You know the rule in most of them for the entering CS inventory (IL allows the departing PIC to do it, but it is Walgreens's policy that the incoming must do it that day as they have to fill out the IL incoming sheet).

IL:

OP, I would agree though that you accepted the PIC without knowing the state laws for being one. This is not a great idea. You need to sit down and reread those sections. You should ask about company policy as to each their own, but in the sense of what you are required to do not what your regulatory responsibility is. Yes, email your DM for the company-specific procedure, but you are responsible for knowing the state's rules about it, MPJE was not the only reason you studied the state code.

What I meant was most of the time the old PIC is left on the pharmacy so it doesn't really matter when you get it done. Sorry that I wasn't clear on that part.

There are many times where you are waiting for the new PIC at your old store to take over before you can be PIC at your new store.

As far as I know there is no leniency in that situation either.

Last edited:
You accepted a position without knowing the responsibilities. Your questions are pretty basic. Don't rely on corporate to ensure legal compliance, after all it is your license. There are federal requirements and state in so far as 1. controlled substance inventory 2. Notifying bop on change in manager/employment

Better review fast. I lived in a state where the manager had to report the change in management and states which require the owner to do it. A lot of managers got in trouble for not reporting the change within 30 days and this Walgreens.

Answer me this: why should anyone answer these for you?

actually, i do the know the law, that is why i created this post and I did ask my supervisors but still confuses. If you read the comments, i have brought up some important questions... these are not basic at all!!! Please stop the hate and negative energy, i just like to know as much detail as possible and appreciate anyone liking to help, this post will help other future managers as well. if you dont feel comfortable helping or sharing info, dont spread hate as to why I accepted PIC. That is a personal career choice that I made and have no regrets. I just want to move forward growing and learning more and doing things right. Thanks

Good luck OP!

This is pretty much exactly what SDN is for (sharing information) so don’t mind the haters. ;)

Personally I would just go in early before your first shift scheduled as PIC and do the inventory. I am no lawyer but I cannot imagine any BOP citing you for not doing the inventory sooner than your first day. Also presumably you are going to have to notify the BOP about the change in PIC so if possible you can just list whatever day you do the inventory as the date of PIC change. Presumably one of the things they are going to train you to do is inventory.

If you have any concerns about the timing of when to do the inventory just ask your DM. They have no doubt dealt with countless PIC changes and the associated legal requirements for your state.

I am in California and it says within 30 days of new PIC take over there has to be controlled sustance reconcilliation record submitted. But most people say the day before. My question is, while I’m on training, am i considered a PIC? Or will be PIC after training is done...

Can't speak for every state, but the government website should show who the pic at that pharmacy is. Also not sure but it may also show under your license if you are PIC anywhere

I highly doubt you are the PIC since you have a few things you have to fill out and send to your DM who will notify the board.

Walgreens SOP specifically says it must be done the night of the change.

Good luck OP!

This is pretty much exactly what SDN is for (sharing information) so don’t mind the haters. ;)

Personally I would just go in early before your first shift scheduled as PIC and do the inventory. I am no lawyer but I cannot imagine any BOP citing you for not doing the inventory sooner than your first day. Also presumably you are going to have to notify the BOP about the change in PIC so if possible you can just list whatever day you do the inventory as the date of PIC change. Presumably one of the things they are going to train you to do is inventory.

If you have any concerns about the timing of when to do the inventory just ask your DM. They have no doubt dealt with countless PIC changes and the associated legal requirements for your state.
SDN is for questions that should be sent to their DM?

• Haha
There's no reason for you to be the one that does inventory.

I am not sure I agree with this. If you don’t do it, who will? And it depends on the company - at CVS literally only the pharmacist can count CIIs. So yeah unless you made the staff pharmacist you would have to be the one to do the CIIs.

SDN is for questions that should be sent to their DM?

Actually the mission is to “help students become doctors” so I was stretching it a little. ;)

But yeah, SDN is for sharing information. Including the kind of information you can get from your DM. What’s wrong with confirming or double checking that what you are being told is correct?

I am not sure I agree with this. If you don’t do it, who will? And it depends on the company - at CVS literally only the pharmacist can count CIIs. So yeah unless you made the staff pharmacist you would have to be the one to do the CIIs.

Actually the mission is to “help students become doctors” so I was stretching it a little. ;)

But yeah, SDN is for sharing information. Including the kind of information you can get from your DM. What’s wrong with confirming or double checking that what you are being told is correct?

I obviously meant the inventory we're all doing next month not the PIC change. If OP isn't PIC, they don't need to do inventory.

I agree we're here to help, but there's a difference between getting an opinion from us and knowing what OPs DM wants done.

I can post the entire SOP if the OP wants but that still doesn't change that this is simply an email that should be sent to the DM:

Hey did you want me to do inventory still, I'm not scheduled there that day? Also can you send me the forms I need to fill out for the change in PIC? Thanks

How hard was that?

I am in California and it says within 30 days of new PIC take over there has to be controlled sustance reconcilliation record submitted. But most people say the day before. My question is, while I’m on training, am i considered a PIC? Or will be PIC after training is done...

No, in CA, you are the PIC the day Walgreens actually get the transfer paperwork into Sacramento. Until then, you are just a pharmacist.

Even though it's not due for a month, you might want to go over this list as a start then:

Policies and procedures are already provided by Walgreens, that's the benefit of working for a chain. That's 90% of the form. The other 10% is more for you to make sure you know where they are especially logs and such.

And this is helpful:

Reactions: 1 users
I obviously meant the inventory we're all doing next month not the PIC change.

Oh yeah obviously, how did I not see that?

How hard was that?

It was easy. But there is still nothing wrong with OP asking a question is there?

I mean I get it, it does seem like someone who accepted a PIC position should know this stuff but still, no need to make them feel bad about asking a question.

Although this is valuable time we could be spending talking about the death of pharmacy or how COVID is a conspiracy so in that sense it is rude of OP to waste our time with this. ;)

Oh yeah obviously, how did I not see that?

It was easy. But there is still nothing wrong with OP asking a question is there?

I mean I get it, it does seem like someone who accepted a PIC position should know this stuff but still, no need to make them feel bad about asking a question.

Although this is valuable time we could be spending talking about the death of pharmacy or how COVID is a conspiracy so in that sense it is rude of OP to waste our time with this. ;)

Yes?

Because here's the thing, this might be old since I haven't switched stores in awhile but there is more that has to be done:

1: perform physical inventory with outgoing PIC or have outgoing PIC sign sheet (outgoing PIC is never involved, usually). Use the same guidelines as annual inventory, DM must assign this I believe.

2. Submit to the state board written notification on either the states official form or Walgreens letterhead of the names and license numbers of the incoming and outgoing pharmacists. Post a copy of the change with the current licenses until a new one arrives. Also retain a copy at the district office.

3. Notify shared services license administration and provider enrollment with the PIC change.

4. Update PIC change in pharmacy maintenance.

5 obtain keys

6. Set alarm where applicable

7. Notify state health department if CLIA waived tests are performed.

8. Fill out all state specific forms.

Now could this be answered here? Sure but some things should be asked here and others should be sent to the DM especially if they are involved anyways.

But again to OP things might be different now, I haven't changed in awhile

actually, i do the know the law, that is why i created this post and I did ask my supervisors but still confuses. If you read the comments, i have brought up some important questions... these are not basic at all!!! Please stop the hate and negative energy, i just like to know as much detail as possible and appreciate anyone liking to help, this post will help other future managers as well. if you dont feel comfortable helping or sharing info, dont spread hate as to why I accepted PIC. That is a personal career choice that I made and have no regrets. I just want to move forward growing and learning more and doing things right. Thanks

You created a post in a public forum and asked questions, so you may receive answers you don't like. That's life, deal with it. I like helping other rphs, but what I don't care for is the numerous posters who want answers to their questions and have put next to no effort into solving it themselves. In other words they are lazy. The state board regs and policies as well as applicable federal law can all be found online. In my practice state, it is the ownership's responsibility to report change in manager to the state. It is my responsibility to report change of address and employer. So if I take on a managers position at the same job I am responsible for nothing. In addition, the cs inventory does not have to be completed personally by the manager. The techs can count and I sign it at the end. They count, I eat a donut with coffee in the office. It does have to say whether it was completed at the beginning or cob and it does need to be signed by the incoming manager

Only people who actually work at Walgreens in California can answer 100% percent correctly.

At Walmart the reconciliation is done monthly (instead of the required every 3 months) and documentation of adjustments (a sheet is printed off) and signing off on it is the basis for the reconciliation as the BOP permits electronic documentation of perpetual inventory and electronic documentation of disposition/acquisition to count as the "inventory" part.

Inventory + reviewing disposition/acquisition = reconciliation

A new PIC at WM would end up doing the inventory rec within the time frame permitted so there is nothing extra to be done based on the above procedure.

By the way California never required an actual change of PIC inventory and still doesn't. That is mandated by chains to keep it uniform and is a good idea anyway. The reconciliation regulation requires reconciliation be done, not that a new PIC do the inventory that forms the basis of the reconciliation

Finally in California the effective start date of the PIC is stated on the form. The purpose of the form is to notify the board. The board doesn't determine the day of PIC change unless they reject the proposed new PIC.

Last edited:
Sounds like this thread is complete.

You have my explanation of what walgreens wants and a couple California answers.

Good luck OP, you made the correct decision being rxm by the way.

Get out of it if you can. Walgreed and CVS are the worst. You will work off the clock enough to make the extra pay not worth it.

• Dislike
Hello,

Just accepted my offer new PIC for walgreens, i had a question regarding controlled substance inventory as a new pic. I was explained that i will do it along with beinnial which is due upcoming month. I am confused because i am schedule for training for two weeks at a different store than my home store. And i was not scheduled at my home store on the date of CS inventory to perform that as both new pic and biennial. So i am confused and worried, dont want to get in trouble with the board. Also, should write to the board in writing that I am becoming a PIC? Or does walgreens has specific forms for that??? Please help if any help appreciate it. Thanks
Yeaa they probably just expect you to work your training schedule and then do the inventory on your own time. But you can do that after you start, 4-5 days after is the max usually. But as someone else on here said it’s better to do it right before you start.

I worked for cvs and never worked off the clock. Always finished on time. Plus its hourly, you get fired if you work off the clock... i never had to because I always finished on time.

Not as a pharmacy manager, you didnt!

I worked for cvs and never worked off the clock. Always finished on time. Plus its hourly, you get fired if you work off the clock... i never had to because I always finished on time.

I am curious what you mean by "finished on time". If finishing on time means closing the gate on time no matter what, yeah it's easy to finish on time. If finish on time means actually getting everything done you are supposed to get done before closing the gate, well that is basically impossible.

FWIW, I never worked off the clock for CVS. But I certainly wouldn't make the claim that I always "finished on time", I simply left wither the work was done or not.

Maybe it is a distinction without a difference though. ;)

I am curious what you mean by "finished on time". If finishing on time means closing the gate on time no matter what, yeah it's easy to finish on time. If finish on time means actually getting everything done you are supposed to get done before closing the gate, well that is basically impossible.

FWIW, I never worked off the clock for CVS. But I certainly wouldn't make the claim that I always "finished on time", I simply left wither the work was done or not.

Maybe it is a distinction without a difference though. ;)
Maybe that was impossible for you. Basically cleaning all ques, putting back warehouse, taking care of anything that needs to done. Being on top of Returns. Being on top of cycle counts. Doing only pharmacist job in cvs is ridiculously easy considering how time efficient the system is. Depends on your skills, are you a multitasker? Are you fast? How do you prioritize? Are you familiar with inventory management? Can you interpret cash loss reports and understand how to utilize those reports? Also depends on store volume... slow, medium or fast? My experience slow and fast are the easiest. Medium is the worse...

Maybe that was impossible for you.

I congratulate you on being better than me. Yes, it was impossible for me to finish all of those tasks daily with the amount (and quality) of help I had at CVS.

Based on my recollection of CSV scorecards in my area I would dare say you are in the top 10% of CVS pharmacists if you are really clearing all the ques daily on top of everything else that is expected of you.

• Haha
I congratulate you on being better than me. Yes, it was impossible for me to finish all of those tasks daily with the amount (and quality) of help I had at CVS.

Based on my recollection of CSV scorecards in my area I would dare say you are in the top 10% of CVS pharmacists if you are really clearing all the ques daily on top of everything else that is expected of you.

i understand it was impossible for you. But don’t go ahead and assume that it is also impossible for everyone else. Retail is not for everyone. I was offered pic because of my capabilities at 3 different corporates... i can do 150 production on my own with no tech or kirby and maybe have only a clerk...and while i do production continue keeping an eye on triage and and verification and taking calls and still come out clean... and still provide great customer service

• Haha
i understand it was impossible for you. But don’t go ahead and assume that it is also impossible for everyone else. Retail is not for everyone. I was offered pic because of my capabilities at 3 different corporates... i can do 150 production on my own with no tech or kirby and maybe have only a clerk...and while i do production continue keeping an eye on triage and and verification and taking calls and still come out clean... and still provide great customer service

That’s nice. I did well over that by myself when I worked overnight. I will go ahead and assume that it is impossible for most RPhs based on the scorecards that show most stores don’t keep up. Some RPhs are just that good, like yourself. And some have a really great team that can handle it.

I am happy for you that you can do it. Really. I wish I could have. I was able to for a while but inevitably script count would increase and payroll hours would decrease and I would fall behind.

LMAO bragging about doing production.

Being great at retail is like winning the Special Olympics

• Haha
I have nothing meaningful to contribute other than how ridiculous is the OP that they attacked the one person in this thread defending them (owlegrad) for making a benign comment.

Be careful jumping to bite that hand that feeds you... in 6 months we are going to see a "Fired from PIC for telling my DM he was incompetent"

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
I have nothing meaningful to contribute other than how ridiculous is the OP that they attacked the one person in this thread defending them (owlegrad) for making a benign comment.

Be careful jumping to bite that hand that feeds you... in 6 months we are going to see a "Fired from PIC for telling my DM he was incompetent"

Aww you're sweet but I wasn't offended. No skin off my nose if she wants to point out how much better she is at retail than me. More power to her.

I dunno if this is overcompensating but if this is how you normally act when pushed you will really need to work on your people skills or you'll end up with an exodus of techs and won't retain anyone.

I've seen it with plenty of failed managers. Passive-aggressive, can only criticize and can't elevate

• Love
Maybe that was impossible for you. Basically cleaning all ques, putting back warehouse, taking care of anything that needs to done. Being on top of Returns. Being on top of cycle counts. Doing only pharmacist job in cvs is ridiculously easy considering how time efficient the system is. Depends on your skills, are you a multitasker? Are you fast? How do you prioritize? Are you familiar with inventory management? Can you interpret cash loss reports and understand how to utilize those reports? Also depends on store volume... slow, medium or fast? My experience slow and fast are the easiest. Medium is the worse...

So your practice of corporate pharmacy was successful. Certainly, there are some rphs better to handle the workload then others but I have never seen a single rph keep up with all corporate initiatives. The ones that try to do that cut corners and sacrifice quality. This includes rphs who get promoted to corporate middle management. I can believe and see why you would get promoted. It's because corporate can cut hours and you work harder and harder. When there was opportunity to get promoted from rph manager, this made some sense. Now, you are just going to get used. Join the club. There are a few like you on this forum. Wagrxm, mrcorporate rph. Wagrxm gives an unvarnished opinion, mrcorporate rph makes it sound good but in the end he let's it slip like how he rings out two customers at a time. Any rph who has worked for a major chain is guilty of supporting organizations that, while employing many pharmacists, bring down the practice of pharmacy (including me) but rphs who are entirely corporate in their practice are in their own class.

I wouldn't even call working for chains a "practice." It's mainly bootlicking

I have seen pharmacists who are “ultra-fast” but in the end, they make too many errors.

In order to get everything done within time-frame with given tech/ rph help at places like cvs, you have to verify scripts in like less than 5 seconds. And I can tell that much it’s impossible to maintain reasonable accuracy at that speed because you aren’t reading prescriptions, you are just skimming them. You are putting patient safety and your license at risk. Corporate won’t care until something serious happens and in that case your ass will out of the door faster than you verify one script.

PS work on your attitude. Passive-aggressive types are the worst and they get blacklisted pretty quickly by pharmacists/ DMs and techs alike.

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users