new pharmd students. pls advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Heyyyyy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently saw a couple of threads where materials from organic/general chemistry/biochemistry are very essential for first semester pharmacy courses. Well, i did not study anything in the summer and completely forgot everything i learned from org/g.chem/biochem. Am i in big trouble?

jason2000, are you seriously studying now? it is only the first week. are you serious dude or you meant it as a joke?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Heyyyyy
I recently saw a couple of threads where materials from organic/general chemistry/biochemistry are very essential for first semester pharmacy courses. Well, i did not study anything in the summer and completely forgot everything i learned from org/g.chem/biochem. Am i in big trouble?

jason2000, are you seriously studying now? it is only the first week. are you serious dude or you meant it as a joke?

I'm willing to bet that they're quite serious. I haven't even started CLASS yet (just orientation), and we already have homework posted online and exams scheduled for sept 16th, sept 18th, sept 23rd, sept 25th, sept 30th, etc. Those are all less than a month away.

It sucks. I was thinking that i would party and hopefully get lucky with a couple of chicks but now i am off to the books. time to reiview my old lecture notes. see ya.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I'm studying now. I can't say if everyone is studying or not. I think it's just how I am. I prefer to be completely on top of things. We've been given quite a few things to memorize already - not to mention the o-chem/biochem "review" we've been having. No offense to people who like to party and kick back, but's that's not what I'm here for. People can totally party and study at the last minute and still do well, but I can't. I feel much better when I know exactly what's going on.
Just a nerd in the library on Sunday(and probably every Sunday from now on),
Jason

The first few weeks of school are always so deceiving cause you think you don't have much to study. Then, the first exams roll in and then you start $hitting in you pants. As I meet more and more people, I get the same question over and over again---"Have you started studying yet?" My answer has so far been, "not really", but just last Friday I met a fellow P-1 who is repeating the WHOLE entire year again because he failed his pharmaceutics course. After hearing about that, I vowed to whip myself into getting into more of a regular study schedule. It's not like I have an extra 20K to spare.
Btw, reviewing acid/base chemistry and the a.a. functional groups wouldn't hurt for biochem.

If you want to crash review chemistry, I'd make a few suggestions, many of which have been mentioned. 1. FUNCTIONAL GROUPS...get your organic/OMC text and make flash cards of the groups. While there is little actual reaction/synthetic chemistry, being able to identify functional groups is a must. 2. now that you can identify these functional groups/rings learn the pka of them. 3. Study acid base chemistry...I always found acid base chemistry to be among the easiest matierial in school, but many people seemed to have quite some difficulty. Learning which functional groups ionize when is also a must. (Can anyone say henderson-haselbach?) 4. While this may be too soon for you, learn the top 20 or so most common phase I/phase II enzymatic reactions and where they would occur in any given molecule. For example, take a drug and assume that omega oxidation followed by b-d-glucuronidation occurs...can you draw the end product?

These 4 suggestions, if you take the time on your own to learn/review these will make OMC much, much easier. My OMC professor always stated that he could guarantee any student at least a C if they studiend 1-2 hours per hour of lecture. He was an UNGODLY good teacher, and some people may nto need this much study time. Moral of the story, pharmacy school is much, much more rigorous than undergrad; there is a huge learning curve. Once you come to terms with the volume of material everything gets much easier. The 4 suggestions listed above will help you tons too.

Jason

Originally posted by LSUMED2006
4. While this may be too soon for you, learn the top 20 or so most common phase I/phase II enzymatic reactions and where they would occur in any given molecule. For example, take a drug and assume that omega oxidation followed by b-d-glucuronidation occurs...can you draw the end product?

Jason

It's not too soon to learn this. We just started learning phase I/phase II reactions on Friday. The lectures will continue this week, then there will be a test on the following Monday. There's only 2 exams given in Med Chem, so if I don't learn these reactions this week, I will be screwed.

thanks lsu. what is omc?

OMG, LSU, that is crazy. Good for you, but its still crazy.

I didn't do any of that preparation work; I studied as I went, mostly just for exams and I still was summa cum laude and second in my class.

Not that it won't help you, but wow.