New programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ive heard that the 80 hour work week rules has made Baylor's (Houston) Internal Medicine Dept. more accepting of starting up an ER dept. I guess the logical location would be Ben Taub. Who knows if it will ever get off the ground though, especially since UT-Houston seems to be increasing its ER residency class (or so a previous post on this thread said)

Members don't see this ad.

The Taub would be a great (read: Gradyesque) training ground - and it'd be nice to have two EM programs in houston. Hopefully the medicine and surgery depts will release their stranglehold on the ED and let a program happen...

aliraja said:
The Taub would be a great (read: Gradyesque) training ground - and it'd be nice to have two EM programs in houston. Hopefully the medicine and surgery depts will release their stranglehold on the ED and let a program happen...

I am definitely hoping for more of an EM presence in Texas. I had heard Mattox, a big name (Baylor) surgeon, really doesn't believe in EM which may have had an effect. The program director at UTH did mention wanting to expand to 16 or so by using LBJ's ED. Hoping San Antonio will get a civilian EM program, but I had heard (from sdn?) that they were just going to add a few civilian spots to the military program there like wright state or the one in washington (state).

Members don't see this ad :)
Andy Kahn said:
I am definitely hoping for more of an EM presence in Texas. I had heard Mattox, a big name (Baylor) surgeon, really doesn't believe in EM which may have had an effect. The program director at UTH did mention wanting to expand to 16 or so by using LBJ's ED. Hoping San Antonio will get a civilian EM program, but I had heard (from sdn?) that they were just going to add a few civilian spots to the military program there like wright state or the one in washington (state).

I have a friend at UTSA for med interested in EM and they said they are probably just adding some civilian spots to the military program. For some reason, I want to say a post on SDN confirmed this face, but I cant find it either.

I think the decision to start EM might be out of Baylor surgery's hands. They used to just staff the ER with IM and surgery apparently, but with the new 80 hour rule those residents dont have enough time to do that anymore.

I think in the 4th largest city city in the US you could definitely have two academic EM programs next to each other though. Its probably only a matter of time til Baylor adopts it though, because EM seems to be increasingly popular among students and I think the 80 hour rule pretty much ties the hands of those who oppose starting ER up.

Gleevec said:
I think in the 4th largest city city in the US you could definitely have two academic EM programs next to each other though. Its probably only a matter of time til Baylor adopts it though, because EM seems to be increasingly popular among students and I think the 80 hour rule pretty much ties the hands of those who oppose starting ER up.

I agree that Houston being the 4th largest city and the 10th largest metro area could possibly support at least 2 EM programs. When you look at the top 15 metro areas according to http://www.worldfactsandfigures.com/top_50_us_metroareas_asc.php
(in descending order: NYC, LA, Chicago, DC/Balt, Bay Area, Phily, Boston, Detroit, DFW, Houston, Atlanta, Miami, Seattle, Cleveland, Phoenix) and FREIDA for EM programs, there are around 15 in the NYC area, 6 in LA metro, 6 in Chicago metro, 3 in DC/Balt, 2 in the Bay Area, 5 in Phily metro, 3 in Boston metro, 4 in Detroit metro, and 1 in metro areas for Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, Seattle, Cleveland, and Phoenix, but 0 in Miami. Please, correct me if I leave out a program in a suburb of a metro area that I did not account for, but the numbers seem about right (except for Miami not having any). I didn't account for the number of spots in each program though. UT Southwestern (Dallas), Emory (Atlanta), and others have large programs with over 15 spots per class.

Andy Kahn said:
I agree that Houston being the 4th largest city and the 10th largest metro area could possibly support at least 2 EM programs. When you look at the top 15 metro areas according to http://www.worldfactsandfigures.com/top_50_us_metroareas_asc.php
(in descending order: NYC, LA, Chicago, DC/Balt, Bay Area, Phily, Boston, Detroit, DFW, Houston, Atlanta, Miami, Seattle, Cleveland, Phoenix) and FREIDA for EM programs, there are around 15 in the NYC area, 6 in LA metro, 6 in Chicago metro, 3 in DC/Balt, 2 in the Bay Area, 5 in Phily metro, 3 in Boston metro, 4 in Detroit metro, and 1 in metro areas for Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, Seattle, Cleveland, and Phoenix, but 0 in Miami. Please, correct me if I leave out a program in a suburb of a metro area that I did not account for, but the numbers seem about right (except for Miami not having any). I didn't account for the number of spots in each program though. UT Southwestern (Dallas), Emory (Atlanta), and others have large programs with over 15 spots per class.

How the heck can Miami not have an ER program. They are such a huge city, I would imagine UMiami would have started one long ago. Wow, that's news to me.

Hey guys, I am the one who posted about UT Houston expanding the residency class and adding on LBJ hospital ED rotations.

During the same conversation with the EM Chair at UT Houston, he had some serious doubts that Baylor or UTMB in Galveston (UTMB much more likely than Baylor at this point) would get anything going in the next 5-10 years as far an an EM residency program goes. He did not elaborate, but I think he would be in the best position to know. It is unfortunate, because I would love to stay in Houston for my EM Residency, but what can you do?

That new program in Miami sounds nice! Maybe I can convince my wife to move there!

-Scott
UT Houston MS3

EDIT: Orginally I had said program director. That is incorrect. I spoke with the Chair of Emergency Medicine, Dr. King. Sorry!

stw2361 said:
Hey guys, I am the one who posted about UT Houston expanding the residency class and adding on LBJ hospital ED rotations.

During the same conversation with the program director at UT Houston, he had some serious doubts that Baylor or UTMB in Galveston (UTMB much more likely than Baylor at this point) would get anything going in the next 5-10 years as far an an EM residency program goes. He did not elaborate, but I think he would be in the best position to know. It is unfortunate, because I would love to stay in Houston for my EM Residency, but what can you do?

That new program in Miami sounds nice! Maybe I can convince my wife to move there!

-Scott
UT Houston MS3

Dr. Reichman also mentioned the possible future expansion at UTH during my interview there. my friend who will be starting residency there this year has mentioned that they are really looking to do that during his time there, but i would imagine it would take more time to get that done. the UTMB faculty had told me that it was not going to happen very soon and i would imagine that they need more EM trained faculty. they have 4 right now, but i know they are trying to get more.

I am interested to hear more about the new program in Miami. I would love to hear about it if anybody has some info. it this a osteopathic or allopathic residency? 3 or 4 yrs? what hospital will it be at?

Henry Ford Wyandotte (Detroit suburb) is accepting four D.O. EM tracking spots in the 2005 match. High volume level II E.R. Good P.D. EASY (light) intern year.

stw2361 said:

During the same conversation with the EM Chair at UT Houston, he had some serious doubts that Baylor or UTMB in Galveston (UTMB much more likely than Baylor at this point) would get anything going in the next 5-10 years as far an an EM residency program goes. He did not elaborate, but I think he would be in the best position to know. It is unfortunate, because I would love to stay in Houston for my EM Residency, but what can you do?

-Scott
UT Houston MS3

EDIT: Orginally I had said program director. That is incorrect. I spoke with the Chair of Emergency Medicine, Dr. King. Sorry!

That sucks bigtime, hopefully UT-Houston's program will continue to grow though for people who want to stay in Houston.

stw2361 said:
University of Miami's program can be found here:
http://um-jmh.org/MedicalProf/Residency/emergency/emergencymed.html

Andy: Its an MD program, 3 years

Thanks for the link! They will be a pretty good size at 12. They mentioned, "expects to receive word in February 2004" so I does that mean their first class of residents may be in 2004 or does it take some time afterwards? I had a resident in Ob/Gyn who was telling me she had to learn Spanish very quickly during her MS3 and MS4 years. I figure that is true in programs in So Cal, Arizona, Texas (especially Texas Tech in El Paso), and Florida.

Also, I had thought UTMB was a ways from having a program b/c they only have 4 EM trained faculty, but from what I could tell on the website, UMiami had list 4 EM trained and 2 Pedi EM fellowship trained pediatricians so maybe Galveston is closer to having an EM program than I thought. Anyway, hats of to Miami and lets hope for some more EM residencies.

-ak

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm nearing the (finally) end of my internship year at USF in Tampa, FL, and I haven't found really the need to learn Spanish. We definately have some Spanish speaking patients, but they are by far a minority, and its never an issue at all (almost always they have a translator, or atleast an ED RN or Tech that speaks Spanish).

Does anyone know of Jackson's accredidation status?

Q, DO

SAN ANTONIO UNIFORMED SERVICES HEALTH EDUCATION CONSORTIUM - (SAUSHEC), which is the combined military EM residency program based at Brooke Army Medical Center at Fort Sam Houston and Wilford Hall Medical Center at Lackland AFB have received preliminary approval for 2 civilian spots for the class of 2005. They are awaiting final ACGME approval for participation in the NRMP for 2005. All deans/presidents/chancellors, etc. have approved the 2 spots.

E.P., MD

QuinnNSU said:
Does anyone know of Jackson's accredidation status?
they weren't approved for this year (or the next for that matter)

grouptherapy said:
they weren't approved for this year (or the next for that matter)

Wow, they didnt' get accredidation for next year? Will they be interviewing this upcoming year?

Q, DO

QuinnNSU said:
Wow, they didnt' get accredidation for next year? Will they be interviewing this upcoming year?

Q, DO
they can reapply for an EM residency in 10 years

Leeping Lizards! What happened to Jacksonville's program. Why the 10 year ban? They must of done something real serious to be banned this long. Do you know if this was/is the same situation for Howard when they lost accreditation.

doc wagner- I think the earlier poster was refering to the em program at madigan in washington. it is a military em program run in conjunction with the university of washington that takes military and civilian applicants.

Good to see people have a lively interest in the world of newly emerging emergency med programs. Count me in! I am especially curious about the Texas programs. It's a shame that Houston has only one program. I remember some mention of an an plans on starting one at UTMB. Any word on how long that will take? If UTH increases its prog size, how many do you guys think they'll take? These are just some random thoughts I was having because I just cannot handle any more studying for that d*mn Step1.

castaway said:
Good to see people have a lively interest in the world of newly emerging emergency med programs. Count me in! I am especially curious about the Texas programs. It's a shame that Houston has only one program. I remember some mention of an an plans on starting one at UTMB. Any word on how long that will take? If UTH increases its prog size, how many do you guys think they'll take? These are just some random thoughts I was having because I just cannot handle any more studying for that d*mn Step1.

Castaway, I suggest you read this entire thread. Those questions have already been answered I believe. :thumbup:

-Scott