New Residency Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

tvelocity514

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on what potential problems you foresee if one matched as the first resident of a new program (let's say they will take 1 a year). There will be no pgy2+s. Would this be a good or bad thing to be the only resident on board (could see it both ways. Good: get to see all the cases. Bad: working "80 hours"+). Thanks
 
It will be rough, but likely better than not getting a job.

What potential pros and cons would you see from doing one at a place like this? I'm more asking Bc it would be in my hometown which is a big city but it would be nice to be close to home- yet, I know residency is important where you go, so I also don't want to shoot myself in the foot.
 
The pros would be that you have a job and potentially would have no competition when choosing cases. The cins are that you would have no guidance or backup as a resident, youd have a untested curriculum and education, and you would have a service full of work to do on your own.