New Residency Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tvelocity514

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on what potential problems you foresee if one matched as the first resident of a new program (let's say they will take 1 a year). There will be no pgy2+s. Would this be a good or bad thing to be the only resident on board (could see it both ways. Good: get to see all the cases. Bad: working "80 hours"+). Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

It will be rough, but likely better than not getting a job.

What potential pros and cons would you see from doing one at a place like this? I'm more asking Bc it would be in my hometown which is a big city but it would be nice to be close to home- yet, I know residency is important where you go, so I also don't want to shoot myself in the foot.

The pros would be that you have a job and potentially would have no competition when choosing cases. The cins are that you would have no guidance or backup as a resident, youd have a untested curriculum and education, and you would have a service full of work to do on your own.

Reactions: 1 user