New schools for primary care?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kcl22

Reaction score
Hi all! First post, but I've been lurking on SDN for this past cycle. I know there's a lot of hesitancy and discussion on whether or not to attend one of the newer DO schools, but as someone who wants to entire primary care (specifically FM or IM), would attending a newer school be that bad of a choice? I'm fortunate enough to have an acceptance at a more well known DO school, but seeing as though I want to stay in primary care, would attending a school like CHSU COM pose the same challenges? Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

New schools spend several years getting their faculty and curriculum up to speed. The first few classes are on the school's learning curve. Will a new school help you achieve your professional goals? They have no proven board pass rate. New schools add some additional risk imo. Something to consider.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
To end up in any PC spot its probably fine. But if you go to a school that has a high board failure rate (common at new schools), well congrats because you now have a red flag and zero alumni to vouch for your competence. You won’t get the same options for residency interviews and have a higher likelihood of soaping into a program you don’t like across the country from where you want to be.

Go if that’s all you get, but these schools should be everyone’s backup.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi all! First post, but I've been lurking on SDN for this past cycle. I know there's a lot of hesitancy and discussion on whether or not to attend one of the newer DO schools, but as someone who wants to entire primary care (specifically FM or IM), would attending a newer school be that bad of a choice? I'm fortunate enough to have an acceptance at a more well known DO school, but seeing as though I want to stay in primary care, would attending a school like CHSU COM pose the same challenges? Thank you in advance!
If you've got an acceptance at a more well known school, I would take that. Unless the new one is hooking you up with free tuition or something like that.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 user