New Schools like LECOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IUHoosier

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was accepted to both LECOM and CCOM, and am having a hard time deciding between the both. Both schools were really very different and I felt they both have strong qualities. The thing that impresses me the most about LECOM, though, is that according to them they were first on the boards, and last year all of the students passed. Also they are a new school with many modern ideas. Finally, they have hospital affiliations for clinicals in more than 5 states. So they seem to have done very well. Problem I have is that CCOM has had many more years to establish themselves, and many great DO's come from there. I am torn because I was just happy gettting in, and now I have a choice. Please help if you can.

Members don't see this ad.

Dear IU,

Just a couple of thoughts that might help you...In addition to the differences you outlined in your post I would encourage you to consider the location of each school. You will be spending two years of your life in the location you choose. I think there are several factors which rank above a school's location, but location might be an area that distinguishes the two schools. Is one closer to family/friends/significant? Does one school offer more opportunities as far as the hobbies that you are interested in? Asking yourself these questions might help. Both are excellent schools and it sounds like you have put a considerable amount of time and effort into your decision, so my advice is to trust your choice and enjoy yourself. Best of luck and take care!

P.S. let us know what you decide!

Matt

Please see "Stillborns'" response about board scores in
the forum "acceptances".

Members don't see this ad :)
Matt and Deb,

Thank you for your input. I agree with the fact that location is key. Problem is I actually like both locations. Deb, I wonder why each school says their boards are the highest. I do agree with Stillborn though in that boards are up to the person. I guess you could say that I am wanting to go to LECOM, especially with the new way they are teaching, systems approach, but I am a little hesitant. Plus one of my favorite doctors is from CCOM. I am to the point of flipping a coin. I at least have three weeks to decide. Thanks again for the input.

Josh

Both schools are great. LECOM has multiple learning pathways though.

Reactions: 3 users
Dear IU,

Just a couple of thoughts that might help you...In addition to the differences you outlined in your post I would encourage you to consider the location of each school. You will be spending two years of your life in the location you choose. I think there are several factors which rank above a school's location, but location might be an area that distinguishes the two schools. Is one closer to family/friends/significant? Does one school offer more opportunities as far as the hobbies that you are interested in? Asking yourself these questions might help. Both are excellent schools and it sounds like you have put a considerable amount of time and effort into your decision, so my advice is to trust your choice and enjoy yourself. Best of luck and take care!

Matt

Are hobbies/opportunities worth the significant increase in cost (CCOM), though?

Keep $$$$ in mind as well, OP. You'll only be there for 2 years.....

EDIT: Didn't see original thread date. LMAOOOOOO

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 users
Did people really address each other by first names 8 years ago?? Oh how times have changed.

Reactions: 6 users
holy necro bump! 98 is gonna be my lucky number this weekend.

Reactions: 2 users
Did people really address each other by first names 8 years ago?? Oh how times have changed.

LOL 8 years? I think you mean 18 years. This is a record of a necrobump for me.

I wonder how Mett, Deb, and Josh are doing now.

*Waits intently for response* :corny:

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
People using their real names as usernames.

The 90s were such a time of innocence

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Reunion in 2034

...if our cyborganic trans-dimensional overlords allow it, that is

I'm here thinking without realizing that the thread is from 1998 "WOW, these are the nicest SDN users I have seen since ever." *Realized the thread is from 1998* well..... that explains it. :rofl:

Awkward moment when the kids in 2035 accidentally bump this thread...
"dude, wasn't that like the time period that trump became president and everyone was crying over a gorilla?"

Reactions: 5 users
I'm here thinking without realizing that the thread is from 1998 "WOW, these are the nicest SDN users I have seen since ever." *Realized the thread is from 1998* well..... that explains it. :rofl:
Dear HFlash,

Yes, indeed! It's funny to see how pleasant they all seemed and their use of polite message formatting.

Hugs and kisses,
YayPudding

Dear HFlash,

Yes, indeed! It's funny to see how pleasant they all seemed and their use of polite message formatting.

Hugs and kisses,
YayPudding

meme.jpg

it was the innocence of a pre-9/11 world

Dear IU,

Matt

Please see "Stillborns'" response about board scores in
the forum "acceptances".

Matt and Deb are absolutely right. Both are terrific schools and I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors! Even if this was almost 20 years ago....

This has made my day in so many ways!

The best part about that pic @Mad Jack is the fact that it would still be relevant in 1998. LOL

Best. Necrobump. Ever.

The internet was so friendly when I was watching Thomas the tank engine and sesame street.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Another thing is that CCOM and LECOM's tuition were probably so low back then.

RIP to the good ole' days

#tbt

Reactions: 1 users