new to anesthesiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bane30

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have recently decided to pursue a career in anesthesiology...I have read the FAQ section which was very helpful but I am still a little confused...I am starting a rotating internship and have some questions

1)I have some outside elective time but its seems like many places aren't sure if that is allowed, being that I am no longer a student...my rotating internship hospital says its fine as long as they cover my insurance...is this a likely request?

2)I have read about issues involving doing an internship year after doing a rotating internship and payment...would this apply to me?

3)How difficult is it to obtain a anesthesia as a resident compared to being a medical student.

Thank you in advance for your help

Members don't see this ad.

I have recently decided to pursue a career in anesthesiology...I have read the FAQ section which was very helpful but I am still a little confused...I am starting a rotating internship and have some questions

1)I have some outside elective time but its seems like many places aren't sure if that is allowed, being that I am no longer a student...my rotating internship hospital says its fine as long as they cover my insurance...is this a likely request?

2)I have read about issues involving doing an internship year after doing a rotating internship and payment...would this apply to me?

3)How difficult is it to obtain a anesthesia as a resident compared to being a medical student.

Thank you in advance for your help

1) It is reasonable for them to ask you to cover your own insurance. This is often a limiting factor for students arranging aways.

I'm not sure I can answer too many more questions, as it sounds like you may have already graduated med school. Are you a resident? Practicing? Graduated from a foreign school?

Let us know a little more about where you are, where you have been, then we might be able to help.

1) It is reasonable for them to ask you to cover your own insurance. This is often a limiting factor for students arranging aways.

I'm not sure I can answer too many more questions, as it sounds like you may have already graduated med school. Are you a resident? Practicing? Graduated from a foreign school?

Let us know a little more about where you are, where you have been, then we might be able to help.

I'm a DO student about to finish my 4th year of school...I was originally applying to another specialty but I have done some anest rotations after the interview season and have been converted... I'm going to start my rotating internship in July...thanks for the quick reply

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a DO student about to finish my 4th year of school...I was originally applying to another specialty but I have done some anest rotations after the interview season and have been converted... I'm going to start my rotating internship in July...thanks for the quick reply

I don't pretend to understand the DO internship, so I won't comment. But I will say anesthesia programs and practices are full of folks like yourself who saw the bright, fiberoptic glare of the laryngoscope a few months too late.

There are definitely opportunities to land an advanced position.

do your d.o. ty and apply as a ca1 next year. lots of places have advanced spots. I recommend vcu as one example. make sure your osteopathic ty fufills the anesthesiology requirements. they changed this year and some programs don't meet requirements. they should be at the acgme website. congratulations on deciding on the best specialty. pm me if you want. I am a d.o. m4 too

its never too late to follow your dreams whatever they may be. The only word of advice I have is the following: NEVER let anyone tell you that you can't do something, whatever the reason.