New to DO -- school list?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrDwayneJohnson

Maester of the Citadel in training
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I didn't apply DO this past cycle because, well, I was a fool with my school list. I'm a Missouri resident with a 3.8 cGPA and BCPM and 509 MCAT with a <125 CARS. Right now my only "for sure" is A.T. Still in Kirksville.

As for my others, I was thinking (without being extremely informed):
Oklahoma state
Michigan State
Western

Should I substitute any of these or flat out remove any? I'm wanting to apply to 4-6, but I'm pretty early in my school selection research. Based on not picking well last year, I'm reaching out and trying to get outside opinions.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

how low of a cars? I think you have a good shot at OSU if you can identify with the schools mission.

I would add KCU unless they screen out scores based on separate MCAT sections.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd cross off OK state and Mich St as they heavily favor in state and the cost for out-of-state students is extremely high. Look into Des Moines University and Midwestern University Chicago as they are semi-close to Missouri .

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd cross off OK state and Mich St as they heavily favor in state and the cost for out-of-state students is extremely high. Look into Des Moines University and Midwestern University Chicago as they are semi-close to Missouri .

Nah. I go to OK state. With OP's GPA and MCAT it would come down to writing and if they could tie their experiences in with what the school wants. I think they have a shot. And our app is cheap so OP might as well try.

Nah. I go to OK state. With OP's GPA and MCAT it would come down to writing and if they could tie their experiences in with what the school wants. I think they have a shot. And our app is cheap so OP might as well try.

CARS was 124. I grew up in a town with a population <1000, so I was thinking OK State due to it's Rural Medical Track. I know Missouri has rural programs, but I'm also trying to get out of Missouri.

DMU and Midwestern are good ideas also, though. Is AZCOM too far of a stretch?

CARS was 124. I grew up in a town with a population <1000, so I was thinking OK State due to it's Rural Medical Track. I know Missouri has rural programs, but I'm also trying to get out of Missouri.

DMU and Midwestern are good ideas also, though. Is AZCOM too far of a stretch?

I think you will fare well at OSU. Especially if you apply with interest to the rural med track, and relate your essays to wanting to serve a rural population.

I think you will fare well at OSU. Especially if you apply with interest to the rural med track, and relate your essays to wanting to serve a rural population.
I definitely want to do the rural med track, but I think some of the problems I ran into this year was not conveying that. I'm in ROTC, so from intern to residency year I'll (most likely) have to do with the military, then my service commitment is 4 years to wherever they want me to go. It's easy for me to say I want to come back, but I'm afraid the going away to wherever for 4 years may scare schools off. Especially as far as the rural track is concerned.

Edit: I guess I could always leave the ROTC part out, but it is a pretty significant part of my undergrad/adds to diversity

I definitely want to do the rural med track, but I think some of the problems I ran into this year was not conveying that. I'm in ROTC, so from intern to residency year I'll (most likely) have to do with the military, then my service commitment is 4 years to wherever they want me to go. It's easy for me to say I want to come back, but I'm afraid the going away to wherever for 4 years may scare schools off. Especially as far as the rural track is concerned.

Edit: I guess I could always leave the ROTC part out, but it is a pretty significant part of my undergrad/adds to diversity

Rural med track does not commit you to the rural residencies! I would just say you want to go into rural med, and thats why you want to go to OSU. Seems like a good fit! They other thing is, when you select that you are applying for the rural med track that does not bind you to do the rural med track (I am about 97% sure of this).

It sounds like taking out MSU and Western are the consensus and ATSU-Kirksville/OK State/AZCOM are a good starting three? After those three, I'll have to do some serious research as I know absolutely nothing about other schools. I take it there isn't an AACOMAS version of MSAR? I apologize for all of the noob questions lol

It sounds like taking out MSU and Western are the consensus and ATSU-Kirksville/OK State/AZCOM are a good starting three? After those three, I'll have to do some serious research as I know absolutely nothing about other schools. I take it there isn't an AACOMAS version of MSAR? I apologize for all of the noob questions lol

I would add KCU and RVU for sure, but with your stats I don't think you can go wrong. I would just look up the schools and google and see which ones you like!

These aren't necessarily super rural focused, but they're very solid DO schools imo you should look into:
University of New England - UNECOM
Nova Southeastern University - NSUCOM

Thanks everyone! As far as obtaining a LOR from a DO... the first physician I shadowed (~40 hours) was a DO, but that was five years ago so I'll have to get one from someone between now and application time. Will it matter if it's not a super personal letter? Also I should I use a MD LOR only for allo schools?

^ the questions keep piling on

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks everyone! As far as obtaining a LOR from a DO... the first physician I shadowed (~40 hours) was a DO, but that was five years ago so I'll have to get one from someone between now and application time. Will it matter if it's not a super personal letter? Also I should I use a MD LOR only for allo schools?

^ the questions keep piling on

I got a LOR from a DO I shadowed once. I am pretty sure he gave my 3 friends the same letter, and I got an interview at every DO school I applied to. So, I don't think it matters how good the letter is its just a box to check. I did MD and DO letters for the MD schools.

So I didn't apply DO this past cycle because, well, I was a fool with my school list. I'm a Missouri resident with a 3.8 cGPA and BCPM and 509 MCAT with a <125 CARS. Right now my only "for sure" is A.T. Still in Kirksville.

Oklahoma state
Michigan State
Western

Should I substitute any of these or flat out remove any? I'm wanting to apply to 4-6, but I'm pretty early in my school selection research. Based on not picking well last year, I'm reaching out and trying to get outside opinions.

Even with your great stats, I would apply to more than 4-6 to increase odds of garnering an acceptance.

Assuming your whole application looks good, I'd still aim for around 10 DO schools because nothing is a given anymore in med school admissions. I'd much rather burn a few hundred more dollars on applications than risk delaying another year of my life. Better safe than sorry.

Add TouroCOM-NY to the list. Your MCAT is helpful there if you are willing to move.

Assuming your whole application looks good, I'd still aim for around 10 DO schools because nothing is a given anymore in med school admissions. I'd much rather burn a few hundred more dollars on applications than risk delaying another year of my life. Better safe than sorry.
Strongly concur

How many? If it's under 10 I would still apply to a few more DO

I was thinking about 8 DO and 10-12 MD schools. This all depends on if I get the fee assistance program for MD schools. If not, then I imagine I'll apply to ~8 MD schools and ~8 DO schools. I'd like to keep the total less than/equal to 15

You're fine for ANY DO school, including mine.

I suggest adding:

PCOM
MUCOM
NYITCOM
KCU
CCOM
AZCOM
Touro-CA
TUNCOM
Nova
DMU
VCOM
LMU
also:
The two MO MD schools
U AR
U KS

Oklahoma state
Michigan State
Western

So I've done more research into these schools and I'm deciding between PCOM and Touro-CA. I was originally all for Touro-CA, but I've seen negative things about it in past threads.

PCOM seems like it has a solid reputation, but the low applicant-interview (or matriculation) ratio has me hesitant.

Any thoughts?

Even if you are a stellar applicant you cannot count on getting into a specific school or two. You should look to apply at least semi broadly as in today's age there are no guarantees for admission. I especially wouldn't count on Touro CA or PCOM as they tend to favor in state applicant, ie you are at a disadvantage applying there.

CCOM and AZCOM are good schools, but expensive. Some would argue that's not worth the price over going to another established DO school.

Thanks everyone! As far as obtaining a LOR from a DO... the first physician I shadowed (~40 hours) was a DO, but that was five years ago so I'll have to get one from someone between now and application time. Will it matter if it's not a super personal letter?

It doesn't have to be super personal. I think some DO schools require a DO LOR?

Also I should I use a MD LOR only for allo schools?

Unless you absolutely cannot find a DO to shadow and write a LOR, then yes.

CCOM and AZCOM are good schools, but expensive. Some would argue that's not worth the price over going to another established DO school.

It seems the established DO school's are the Midwest ones (like DMU, KCU, ATSU, etc). Am I wrong in thinking this?

It's that way because AT Still, founder of osteopathic medicine, lived primarily in the Midwest.

Yes. Often referred to as the original 5 schools.

Something I haven't mentioned yet is that I'm interested in getting out of the Midwest for medical school. I know the others are more expensive, but cost isn't an issue because of my good pal, the HPSP. For schools out of the Midwest, I'm heavily leaning toward VCOM, Nova, and AZCOM. Since Touro-CA and PCOM heavily favor IS over OOS, are there any other schools that don't favor IS as much?

Lastly, tuition assistance and BAH have thankfully taken the cost and CoL out of the equation so at this point I'm worried about quality of education/rotations and which place will prepare best to succeed with COMLEX and USMLE.

If cost is not an issue, azcom and western are two quality schools.

Lastly, tuition assistance and BAH have thankfully taken the cost and CoL out of the equation so at this point I'm worried about quality of education/rotations and which place will prepare best to succeed with COMLEX and USMLE.

If that's the case, it's definitely worth a shot at Michigan State, even if it's harder as OOS. Apply early though!