New to MPH- need help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mills18

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all- I am graduating in May with my undergraduate degree in biology. For over four years I had planned on becoming a Physician Assistant. That was all I had prepared for- I worked in patient care for several years and have a lot of clinical experience. I applied to PA school but have gotten rejections from most of them (still waiting on a few). BUT I had a turn around and feel like I don't want to be a PA anymore. So then I got into public health and am applying to a masters program for it. I am interested in it because while I am steering away from the clinical aspect I still want to be in healthcare. My only dilemma is that I am not sure what to do with it. I love that it is fairly broad but I still have no direct experience with it. Any knowledge out there of what to do? And any other advice for me being so stuck in my career path!

Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

What are the factors that originally drew you toward wanting to be a PA? I'm thinking that some of them may carry over to public health.

My other thought is that public health is so broad, you may not want to narrow down too far before you're actually in a program and get to experience all the courses, lectures, opportunities, and research projects that your program has to offer. Instead, get just enough of an idea of where your interests lie in order to be able to confidently write a personal statement, interview, and sign up for a couple clubs when you start. After that, let you're evolving interests guide you. I felt like a kid in a candy shop during my MPH program. To a large extent, I felt like it was beneficial that I wasn't dead set on a certain career and didn't have tunnel vision for a specific path.

Reactions: 1 user
What concentrations are you most interested in? Have you considered going into health administration?