New to the Forum!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dmbgg

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am new to the forum, so I thought I would introduce myself and maybe ask a question.

I am in Community College right now, I have this year, then a year at UAB (in Birmingham, Alabama) for a few more pre-reqs, and then I am going to try and apply at Samford and Auburn, both in Alabama. I still live at home with the parents, but that should change as soon as I start UAB.

My main question is about finances. Am I supposed to be so scared of student loans, paying for a place to live, and working at the same time?

What were your experiences in this part of the whole Pharmacy School process?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there,

You don't need to worry about it. Student loans are a very low-interest method of getting your education that you need to succeed in life. Even financing your entire education, the monthly payments will not be that extraordinarily high and assuming you get employment within a few months of graduation (either residency or actual job) then you'll be fine. Your loans (Stafford, Perkins, and private but only if 100% necessary - Those you should wary of) will help defray your living expenses also.

Glad you found the forum and we're happy to have ya!

Hey everyone, I am new to the forum, so I thought I would introduce myself and maybe ask a question.

I am in Community College right now, I have this year, then a year at UAB (in Birmingham, Alabama) for a few more pre-reqs, and then I am going to try and apply at Samford and Auburn, both in Alabama. I still live at home with the parents, but that should change as soon as I start UAB.

My main question is about finances. Am I supposed to be so scared of student loans, paying for a place to live, and working at the same time?

What were your experiences in this part of the whole Pharmacy School process?

Thanks!

Why should you be wary of Stafford loans?

I thought those were really the only ones you could get.

Members don't see this ad :)
He meant that you should be very careful about getting private student loans, as the interest rate is higher and you would have to have good credit or a creditworthy cosigner. Stafford and Perkins loans are based on what you fill out on your FAFSA, so the government does not conduct a credit check on those. The interest rates are pretty low compared to private loans and the government is paying the interest when you are in school. You want to go the stafford or perkins route. If you have to take out private loans, because financial aid can not cover the rest, then that is what you have to do. Just be wary of private loans. Good Luck!

I have noticed (especially from my classmates) that not everyone understands exactly what the cost of attendance is.

If I receive no assistance at all, I will be paying 150-170k back. That is, ~1100 per month for 30 years. A pharmacist takes home, after taxes, ~6000 to 6500 per month. That is a LARGE chunk of your take home pay. Definitely work these numbers into your future plans.

Aside from the commitment listed above - you shouldn't be afraid of them - ensure you make informed decisions.

Welcome to the forum :cool: Tuck in, read the FAQs, conduct your searches, and do not hesitate to post up!!!

Thanks for the welcome, I am hoping that I have a happy adventure to a Pharmacy career!

:hello:

I think about 95% of pharmacy students are or will be getting student loans to cover for tuition and to help with the everyday necessities since working in school will be difficult.