New to the process of applying, please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

longlashes

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

You would need around a 25 MCAT or higher.

Shadowing is a good idea to get a feel for medicine.

You should get 3 letters although some are okay with 2.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is a 25 MCAT really hard to get? I am worried b/c I have a feeling my essays and LORs will suck so I need a good MCAT score. Do Carribean schools care much for shadowing experience and LORs or it's more of a number game?

Do I have a good chance at Ross with 22 MCAT?

I was accepted to one optometry school this year btw. But I am leaning towards medicine.

I am going to assume you went to college and took all your courses with the notion you'd do Opt and be happy doing it. Since you were already accepted into an Opotometry school I really don't see a reason to change, especially not to come to a Caribbean school. Maybe you could share you reasons for changing in more depth than just wanting to treat the whole body.

Like I've said in my previous posts, the Caribbean is a valid alternative for medical school and getting residency. However, I just don't want you to make any rash decisions, especially one involving something as important as changing careers. As for scores, I'm pretty confident that if you had the stats to get into an Optometry school, all you would need to do is reapply your work ethic toward the MCAT and get a good score. From there you should consider applying to US Medical Schools (if medicine is really what you want). The Caribbean will probably always be an option for you, should you choose to take it.

This is my opinion and mine alone, so take it with a grain of salt... but you seem rushed to me, and your switch into medicine seems a bit hasty. You got into Opt, then decided you weren't really sure about (buyer's remorse?), but don't really know what else to do, so you consider medicine. However, the year to apply for medical school has come and gone with Opt and you're left with the options of "Go Opt" or "Go Caribbean Med". I'd add in your other option of "Sit out, find what you really want, take MCAT, buff your app, apply US Med." Please feel free to explain why you want to switch in a little more depth and your future aspirations, then perhaps we can guide you better. It's probably just a good idea in general, since it'll help you write a personal statement.

-fragilex

Just make sure you really want medicine. Because once you deny that opt school you got accepted to, theres no turning back. with your gpa, you'd need a good mcat, maybe a 25. If you got like a 22, then you might be placed into merp...medical education review program (offered at Ross). Also, volunteer work and internships really help alot. Just remember, whatever you do, don't get below 20 on that mcat. Ross tends to be more forgiving than the other caribbean med schools though...if your scores are mediocre, you still get a second chance at merp. I know cause I'm in it right now...the advantage is that its a one semester of science classes that prepares you better for the island. I really like it so far. If you have specific questions, feel free to pm me.

Also, medicine is a much LONGER road, especially if you go into one of those specialties that require 4-5 years of residency plus 2-3 years of fellowship. It could add up to MANY years of your life. On top of that, you would have a massive debt that would take another 30 years to pay off :)eek: )! Besides, as a physician, you'd work more hours + have more stress + pay more malpractice insurance. I think medicine is not just a career, it's a life. You need to be absolutely certain that this is what you want to do for the rest of your life.

Is a 25 MCAT really hard to get? I am worried b/c I have a feeling my essays and LORs will suck so I need a good MCAT score. Do Carribean schools care much for shadowing experience and LORs or it's more of a number game?

Do I have a good chance at Ross with 22 MCAT?

I was accepted to one optometry school this year btw. But I am leaning towards medicine.

Go to optometry school
open you own store on a busy corner in a busy part of town.
Sell lots of glasses and contacts and do lots of exams, mostly will be cash for eyes.
have a good life.

Seriously, take my advice. Here is why.

Most likely you will end up in primary care. IMG student loans are stiff and IMG schools are as expensive as private schools in the US. It will be very hard. You will have a high student loan to pay back and that means that at the end of the day you went to school for several more years, made more money but had to pay more student loans back.

Here is the reason to go to IMG med-school.

1. You could not get into US program.
2. WITHOUT A DOUBT, YOU LOVE TO BE A DOCTOR. Not just because you find the whole body more interesting than the eyes.

Dig deep my friend and find out if you really want to go to medical school.

Good luck.