new to this site...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

closet_premed?

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posted this earlier today in the nursing forum, but I thought that I should post it here too, thank you for taking the time to read and respond:

Hi, I am new to this site and this will be my first post. I was just hoping that someone out there reading this will be able to give me some kind of response. I have always been interested in a career in health care, as a physician, not a nurse. I enrolled at a California jc/cc (junior college/community college) to try to get into an ADN program. I figured I would have great job security and if I really wanted to pursue a career in medicine I would already have job experience as an RN and not have to take out a big loan or anything to pay for medical school. After the second semester (out of 4) I left the program, to never ever return to the world of nursing education. I just did not feel that nursing would give me the autonomy I was looking for in a career. Also, I wanted to be in a position to earn respect for what I did to help improve a patient?s condition, both from society and all members of the health care team. Another thing I didn?t like about being in nursing school was learning to do the things that a CNA would actually be doing in the hospital (i.e. bed-making and wiping excrement from the patient?s behind). It was just a bunch of BS, if I can speak frankly, because even our preceptors said that we would probably never have to do this during our careers. My parents (who both have a BSN) were not particularly pleased with the fact that I dropped out of nursing. They said I should just finish what I started, so I could at least have something to fall back on. I refused; I didn?t want to waste another academic year studying something I wasn?t passionate about, I didn?t want to be another RN who hates his job, and lastly, I should have never taken away a seat in that nursing class from someone in the applicant pool who in their heart of hearts truly wanted to be an RN. I am still at that California jc/cc, but now I am working on prerequisites for medical school: organic chem., gen. physics, calc, and gen. bio (not all at the same time, mind you). I already got gen. chemistry done (A in 1st semester and a B in 2nd semester).
Since I will be taking all my prerequisites at a cc, I plan on transferring as a Biological Sciences major to University of California, Riverside in order show admissions committees that I am fully capable of completing upper-division science coursework successfully. I have heard it said that the prof?s there are approachable and easy to talk to and I know that they have a premed club and pre-health professions advisors. As far as getting experience, I am thinking about volunteering at Loma Linda University Medical Center or another community hospital. I have also been tinkering with the idea of pursing a career in pharmacy (went to an info. session at University of Southern California) or going through a post-baccalaureate program if I am not admitted to a medical school the first time (I only plan on applying in my home state of California). If anyone could please comment on any of these questions I would be very much obliged. 1.) Should I just go crawling back to that ADN program or continue with what I am doing now? 2.) Will admissions committees, pre-health advisors, or even other premed students look down on me for once being in a nursing program and leaving for medicine? 3.) Are those test-prep/study guides for the MCAT really worth the time and money? If so, would you be kind enough to recommend one? 4.) Is there another web-site or chat/forum where I could talk to other young men who have left nursing school to pursue a career in medicine? 5.) Are there summer programs offered by colleges or universities in California to help undergrad?s in their quest for a medical education? I would like to thank each and everyone of you for reading this very long-winded 1st post of mine and hope to hear from you and reply to your posts as well.

PS: Please do not feel obligated in any way to respond to all 5 of my questions. All feedback and responses will be greatly appreciated. Thank you again everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

(1) I say, if you hated nursing school, stay away. Follow your dream!
(2) I don't think adcoms will look down on you having tried nursing as a career. If anything, you can write about that bad experience in your personal statement (or at least address it, maybe even during the interview).
(3) I'd recommend a prep course if you like having structured lectures, study guides, etc. Depends on your style of studying. I took Kaplan, and liked it. I've heard good things about Princeton Review as well.
(4) Have you tried looking through the nursing forum? I know there are a few other nursing-only forums, you might find links there.
(5) Good question. :)

Blade28 said:
(1) I say, if you hated nursing school, stay away. Follow your dream!
(2) I don't think adcoms will look down on you having tried nursing as a career. If anything, you can write about that bad experience in your personal statement (or at least address it, maybe even during the interview).
(3) I'd recommend a prep course if you like having structured lectures, study guides, etc. Depends on your style of studying. I took Kaplan, and liked it. I've heard good things about Princeton Review as well.
(4) Have you tried looking through the nursing forum? I know there are a few other nursing-only forums, you might find links there.
(5) Good question. :)

i second everything blade said...

3. the berkeley review is excellent as well. but not as widespread as kaplan or the princeton review. so if its in the area i suggest you check it out...and its the cheapest out of the three as well.

5. not exactly sure what type of program you are talking about. can you use another program as an example to show us what kind of program you are looking for?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to do medicine go for it, don't worry about what other people think, you gotta do what makes u happy.