So pre-vet student here, I have been following this thread and think it's awesome. I love seeing all you veterinarians in discussion and really appreciate your insight on the field.
Somewhat off topic, but your discussion has touched on this and I'd love to hear your thoughts... do you think it is unwise to attend vet school if an individual is guaranteed to take out at least 200k in loans (just to give you an estimate number)? I know this comes down to a personal decision that only I can answer. & I know I could have uprooted my life and moved to a new state and established residency to minimize that, but at this point it's too late. I've been accepted to Penn and am awaiting a few others. Being a vet of course is my dream, but I also know it is not a smart financial decision considering I am OOS everywhere. I approached this process knowing the reality of the debt:income issue in the field and that as much as I may want to, I may not actually be able to attend (although of course that reality is heartbreaking). It seems you are wary of the new schools since they seem predatory/out for profit... but is the cost (and debt) understandable/worth it/manageable coming from a school with a teaching hospital etc? Again, I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but everyone active in here seems to have a lot of insight.
Not a vet yet. Just a student at Penn. But I’ll tell you, we aren’t over here drinking kool aid making us believe that it’s no big deal that we’re taking on $200k-$400k in loans. There are a lot of factors that go into whether or not it’ll be okay after graduation.
Penn grads like to specialize. I don’t know how it is at other schools because obviously I’m not there. However, a large portion of 4th years here apply to internships and then residencies. Going into a field that will pay you more is something we’re pretty compelled to do since we do have a lot of debt. Again, maybe a ton of people at other schools also apply to internships at residencies, but it seems like the vast majority of students here plan on specializing even as they go through school.
Most penn grads, to my knowledge, end up working in higher cost of living areas. While this obviously means spending more on rent/mortgage, taxes, utilities, necessities, etc., it also means a higher salary. In the Philadelphia area the salaries are a good amount higher for a GP vet than in many other areas of the country. You don’t see many penn grads moving out to Alabama to practice medicine in rural areas. You just have too much debt to be able to do that. I think most vets in general have too much debt to be able to even if they wanted to.
I won’t lie, there are a number of students here who also come from wealth. It’s not most or even a huge number of students, but it seems like it would be more than at other schools. There’s nothing wrong with that, of course, but the choice to come to penn is made a lot easier by having family pay for some or all of your expenses. I’m in less of a position like that, but I was fortunate to have my father pay for my undergraduate tuition and expenses. So while vet school will be way more than undergrad, I won’t have $80,000 of undergraduate loans on top of it.
At the end of day, it’s something you just need to become comfortable with if you’re going to do it. Most penn grads I’ve spoken with are doing just fine. I’ve spoken to a ton about it. There are a few who are struggling a bit, but the majority are alright. If you have the option of going to a cheaper school and you don’t have other factors influencing you to choose Penn, then by all means go to another school. I chose Penn because I’m not a super mentally healthy person. I’ve made great progress over the years but I wouldn’t want to be on my own hundreds or thousands of miles away from my support system. My girlfriend also goes to school in philly and we live together. My mom lives in south philly. My sisters live just outside of Philly. My dad and aunts live over the bridge in New Jersey. I need my family and this was the only way to do that. Everything I like about Penn aside, that was the deciding factor for me.